I PHYSICALLY cant make music anymore......seriously....

LdN2

I have been going through the worst creative spell in my life recently and I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever make it out.

I haven't made a whole piece of music in about 3 years. Good or bad. Maybe even close to 4 years.

Throughout that period I have been steadily listening to samples and making notes on the ones I feel could make some really dope music. However, when it comes round to actually making the beat I cant bring myself to do it. I can chop the sample up and make a rough loop but when it comes to adding drums, instruments, vocals etc I just cant do it. I have no patience.

I have over 200 samples ready and waiting to be used but I just cant get in "that space" to make them work.

I also have something close to over 100 snippets of beats that I started creating but hit a wall. :banghead: These are beats I feel can be something special but I just cant take them to the next level.

My dream is to be a producer/emcee/song writer which I know I have the ability to do but nowadays I would JUMP at the chance to be a sample-digger for another producer.

Anyone ever been through anything like this??

Last edited:
You might want to get a partner... Sounds like you need someone to bounce ideas off of. Or at least someone to physically press the buttons and keys...

When i have writers block when im trying to compose some fresh beats ill do mushrooms and it launches me.

don't judge we all have our inspiration nectar

Damn, it's bin over a year for me.. And I just started making beats again, and there even better now..

You might want to get a partner... Sounds like you need someone to bounce ideas off of. Or at least someone to physically press the buttons and keys...

I have considered this.............I have NEVER worked with anyone before musically. I have a few friends that make music aswell but I am a bit more advanced as a producer than they are. Not to sound big-headed but I have been doing it a lot longer etc. I feel I need someone to teach ME.

Also, I dont do shrooms. Maybe I should start...................

Last edited:
Damn, it's bin over a year for me.. And I just started making beats again, and there even better now..

cosign, my senior year of college (i graduated spring of 09) i just had too much shit on my mind to get any ideas out. that actually lasted until this january (so almost a year after graduating!) but now i'm makin better shit than before.

cosign, my senior year of college (i graduated spring of 09) i just had too much shit on my mind to get any ideas out. that actually lasted until this january (so almost a year after graduating!) but now i'm makin better shit than before.

I did have a "break" period a couple years ago but that never stopped me writing or sample digging. I honestly feel that the beats I have started making in the last few years are a LOT better than my older stuff but I just cant get them to achieve the music I hear in my head..........if that makes sense.......I cant even write these days.

Thats whats up dogg.. I feel you though, because I think my mind was too full of shit.. I dropped alot of bullshit off, and now got my mind right, somewhat.. thinking more clearly.. It's fun again..

I have considered this.............I have NEVER worked with anyone before musically. I have a few friends that make music aswell but I am a bit more advanced as a producer than they are. Not to sound big-headed but I have been doing it a lot longer etc. I feel I need someone to teach ME.

Also, I dont do shrooms. Maybe I should start...................

I know what you mean... If I was you I'd try and find someone with equal or more skill (not referring to talent really) than you. If you got to spend time teaching it can slow you down. Unless you want to and care to invest time with another person, but I hope for your sake they are dedicated.

You might want to get a partner...

Man, LOL, last time I tryed making beats with somebody, it lasted a few days.. but the ways that we lay down tracks clashed big time, we ened up arguing and almost fighting, haha crazy shit, i just wanted the shit to sound good..

Man, LOL, last time I tryed making beats with somebody, it lasted a few days.. but the ways that we lay down tracks clashed big time, we ened up arguing and almost fighting, haha crazy shit, i just wanted the shit to sound good..

I haven't worked with one producer that I haven't clashed with. That why I usually work with musician instead. So I'll rephrase that... find a musician > than another beat maker.:banghead:

I haven't worked with one producer that I haven't clashed with. That why I usually work with musician instead. So I'll rephrase that... find a musician > than another beat maker.:banghead:

I think a producer would suit me more......

I know it sounds crazy but I'm looking for a mentor. Similar to how KanYe had no ID etc etc

Damn man this sounds serious....I mean not life or death serious but 4 straight years and can't make anything? IDK what to say... I would def find a partner to collab with. Also try something new. If u do hiphop try pop or techno. Get some rest, not joking. If u get a good dose of z's, you'll be suprised how much energy and life you'll have the next day. Most of the things you do in life is mental. So if you think good, good things will happen. And last, pray...IDK how many times I've been in a slump. But one thing I always do is pray b4 I start. Trust me it helps.

damn i thought when you said physically you meant like you injured yourself. there was a 6 month period when I had casts on both my arms and couldnt type and there was a time when i couldnt sit at my desk, which i just recently was able to do again. but I guess being uninspired is physical too.

When im uninspired i drive down to guitar center, smoke a cigarette, get a coffee, and bump music in the car. works for me most of the time. smoking weed does not work with me for some reason. maybe when im finishing something up though.

damn i thought when you said physically you meant like you injured yourself. there was a 6 month period when I had casts on both my arms and couldnt type and there was a time when i couldnt sit at my desk, which i just recently was able to do again. but I guess being uninspired is physical too.

When im uninspired i drive down to guitar center, smoke a cigarette, get a coffee, and bump music in the car. works for me most of the time. smoking weed does not work with me for some reason. maybe when im finishing something up though.

I did think that when I was writing that title. I guess its definitely more of a mental block. I dont smoke weed/cigs or drink coffee......

I just listened to some of my older music and its good. I get told its good but I cant take it further or get in the zone to make music like it.....if I had made nothing but wack sh*t up until now I dont think this would be so annoying,

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

Pause for a minute then...always helps.

Don't ever try to force music.

I agree with this but it seems like the pauses are getting longer and longer........plus im not getting any younger and need to focus on this as a career before I end up without the opportunity.

Back