do you think ... ?

mondher

Do you think a foreign band (foreign members) could have oportunities in the US starting from scratch?
(is there any?)

Sure depending on what your style is and how big you want to get. Many rock bands from England and France come to Atlanta or other US cities to get their start.

Yes, Bush started in England then couquered the US. But, more English bands come here to get their start than not.

And some of them had been signed already in previous bands (I think one of them was in Transvision Vamp) which might well have helped. Still it was the only example I could think of of a band that started from scratch in the US, but were not US citizens.

KasioRoks

If it was in Spanish, it would have a very small audience in the States. If it was along the lines of Ill Nino or Seupulteura, then the audience would be strictly metal anyway.

It seems to me that it depends on two things. Image and taste.
There are many bands from other countries that have taken the US by storm. However tasteless they may seem now , Iron Maiden and Judas Priest would be two metal bands that come to mind.

I know they didn't get their start in the US but at the time they may as well have. There were no internet or television rock programs to speak of.

Ramstien would be an easy target I suppose. The music it self wasn't god awful but coupled with the putrid German vocals it was down right tasteless IMO. (no offense to Ramstien fans at all)

The European market is really different that in the U.S. The only way I can think to compare it is if each state (Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, etc.) had its own label. The label will want you to stay in that state and keep you tied down there. I would never tell a band to sign a deal in Europe for the most part.

As far as band's making it in the States after being huge anywhere else, the record buying public is fickle. Good Luck.

Back