What's the future?

L

lykwyd chykyn

Ok, I have seen a lot of styles being done by people here, and I just want to know, regardless of what styles you like or think should stick around, what do you think the future holds? What types of electronic music are going to be big for some time, and what styles are going out, and what styles are definitly out with a vengeance?

Any opinions on this?

most likely trance will come back again big like 99...i personally am not a trance fan but Too many people swear by it to let it die, I myself will be a warrior of acid hardhouse/techno for a long time to come, who would have imagined a small silver box would convince me so much lol

I'm still hoping that true soulful garage will come back in style - not the Subliminal/Defected bull, mind you - and really blow up.
I'm thinking of stuff like Blaze, Moments of Soul, Kenny Bobien, Ron Trent, Basement Boys etc etc...

Disco - I think people are tired of hard soulless music (hard house ahem...;)) and the vocal/melodic thing is coming back. With everone and his aunt being able to make tunes on their home PC, the big boys are having to bring in vocal and live instrumental talent to make them stand out from the crowd.

From where I'm standing, melodic pop-trance is starting to catch on in the US. It's finally trickling down to middle America. Some people think it's a bad thing but I don't. The clubs around here usually start off playing more radio-friendly trance to get the crowd going and then segue into more instrumental, progressive stuff. 2-3 years ago not many dj's could pull that off around here, but now they can. As more people get exposed to this kind of music, the more underground, progressive styles will catch on.

galacticboy said:
From where I'm standing, melodic pop-trance is starting to catch on in the US. It's finally trickling down to middle America. Some people think it's a bad thing but I don't.

well I do ! No offence though.

And Mattu, Subliminal and Defected aren't all bull. They've released some pretty decent stuff over the years, really! What about that Ministers De La Funk song ?

Anyway. I think house music's the future: the tempo's right, you've got vocal stuff, funky stuff, hard and tribal stuff, progressive stuff.. yeah house all the way baby.

Tristano said:
And Mattu, Subliminal and Defected aren't all bull. They've released some pretty decent stuff over the years, really! What about that Ministers De La Funk song ?

yeah, but you know what I mean: all filtered disco loops, those chunky, treble-y beats and a wailing diva. yes, they've released some decent stuff (remember KOT's "Finally" with the Tenaglia dub - yikes! pure brilliance!) but it's the whole sound I'm fed up with.

i think maybe it makes more sense to ask which styles are going to combine and create something new. i don't know if any one sound is going to stay exactly the same straight into the future, but rather i think its possible that the different subgenres are going to play off each other and drive each other to create new things, as they've done in the past.

Well we all wish our favorite types of music will get popular...but we're still not clear here on what actually IS or possible stands a chance of BECOMING....
And house? you really think house is the music of the future? I thought if anything it was ready to go. House is older than the simpsons! (of course, people still like the simpsons).

But what's going on with say, drum n bass? or Trip hop? or two-step? Or any number of other styles....what has died, in your opinions?

I think all Electronica is the future.
I think hiphop is around for a long time in North America.
I think D&B is on the brink of becoming as big as trance. In particular, ambient D&B is soothing to the mainstream ear.

Excentric
ps. read my bono post

i dont know. as long as it sounds good and i like it.
music is developing all the time, and as i cant yet predict the future i am not going to be the one making it (i'll just be impersonating and cutting and pasting, making it sound like my own)
as i say, as long as someone out there is sounding amazing, like blowing off the top of my head good, then i am happy as larry and everyone else can go jump.

(who the hell is larry, and i apologise for not caring about other peoples happiness in their music genres, sometimes tiredness gets to me when conversations like this pop up - name dropping and labelling are no help to anyone, shut up and make what you like, buy what you like etc etc)

(man, i am in a weird mood. apologies)

I'll tell you the future. It's going to be the fusion of rap and techno as horrid as it may sound. Eminem will be rapping at 140bpm, but then again, "Nobody listens to techno."

If you think about it, it's the next logical progression. First there was rap. Then rap fused with rock ala limp bizkit (no talent hack), kid rock, incubus, linkin park. Rap and electronica are next. I've already started writting rhymes for my trance tracks. (As a joke really.)

Last edited:
Excentric said:
I In particular, ambient D&B is soothing to the mainstream ear.

Excentric

I'm a big fan of ambient D&B. I'm not much into the hardcore stuff. Check out 'Angina P' or 'Trance Jax' on mp3.com. They are my 2 favorites right now.

I'll tell you the future. It's going to be the fusion of rap and techno as horrid as it may sound. Eminem will be rapping at 140bpm, but then again, "Nobody listens to techno."

If you think about it, it's the next logical progression. First there was rap. Then rap fused with rock ala limp biskit, kid rock, incubus, linkin park. Rap and electronica are next. I've already started writting rhymes for my trance tracks. (As a joke really.)

Rap and electronica's been around for ages. Anyone remember "I'll House Ya" by the Jungle Brothers, or am I just too old for my own good?

I just want whatever comes in the future to be soulful. There's too much soulless junk out there that clogs up the airwaves. When are people going to realise that Eddie Floyd is so much more important than Pink Floyd, and that Gwen Stefani's got nothing on Gwen McRae.

Back