Trying to learn how to finish what I start when producing track

mr.objects said:
HOW ABOUT THIS MR. ADD, INSTEAD OF MAKING ANOTHER BEAT, WHY DONT YOU MAKE ANOTHER PART OF THE SAME BEAT? WOW. WHAT A CONCEPT. WITH ALL THOSE THOUGHTS YOU HAVE YOU COULD MAKE 100 DIFFERENT PARTS OF THE SAME BEAT. WHEN YOU GET BORED, MAKE ANOTHER BEAT, BUT WITH THE SAME TEMPO. AND THEN......GET THIS, YOU CONNECT ALL YOUR PARTS TOGETHER. :bigeyes:
Besides the stupid post, the upper cases denotes that you're a true moron.

The question was pertinent, and ZILLIONS of people suffer from this very same problem, Mr. Smartass.

Hehehe good call about the smoking but I gave up unfortunately... I have had to change to TV breaks and it just isn't the same!

The question was legit. Mr. Objects is a moron and is prolly mad that he never gets laid.

/closed

Picture yourself DJing in a club and looking out into the masses and imagine their facial expressions and movements when they hear your track. Treat your track as a story that has a definite beginning and a fantastic ending. This way, you will always be able to finish every track you start on, it might take you longer than you had expected to finish the track, but as long as the end product is perfect, time shouldn't be a concern.

I usually put the song in my ipod and go out, then i come up with so many ways to change the song or make it better. ideas come up if you're in a comfortable place too don't know if thats for everybody but thats how it goes for me.

^^I co-sign that. I like to play my track in the car alot.

Also, one thing for me is being tired of letting someone hear a track and always attaching the disclaimer "but it's not totally done yet"

This problem largely comes from making beats for the sake of making a hot beat, instead of actually having a vision, concept or imagery that you are trying to convey before making a beat. A lot of us tend to sit down, start playing with new gear, software etc, get inspired to make a beat with that sound/tools. The reason you get stuck is because you have nothing inspiring you to make the beat besides the whole concept of making a hot beat. Start drawing your motivation for making beats from life and experiences, instead of just being motivated to get a hot beat out. When you have a concept its much easier to analyze the track and determine if it tells the full story that you wish to tell.

I have thousands of scrapped ideas, majority which I haven't even saved. I only work the best ideas to full tracks, that way I can properly learn about the details of making good ideas to good tracks. You learn more in the process of making one good track than in the process of making dozens of half-assed tracks.

+1 on what Focused wrote. What helped me a lot was getting a concept for a song on paper first. Even before starting up my DAW! Write a story, or draw something or whatever. Read something to get inspired. Only then start making music!

The nice thing with this is that everytime you get stuck, you can have a look back at what inspired you, to continue and eventually finnish the track.

Also give yourself a realistic deadline and let people hear your stuff!

And as with all creative stuff: it's never truly finished, so when you think that's the best you can do at that moment, then it's finished!
That's also how you can measure you're growing as an artist... Compare the stuff you finished 3 years ago with the stuff you are saying is finished now.

Have fun making music!

awesome thread.

Mr. Objects go eat sum dik.

I think the post about song structure is a good one.
If i'm \ having a hard time getting the whole track done, at least i try and get a component like verse, chorus, alt verse etc done then it gives me a solid platform to finish the song. If you know one part is going to sound its easier to create the rest. You can always go back and do a totally different mix later on or save that cool alternate version of your verse/chorus for the next track.

have a set structure of what you want accomplished in the track. Example, 3 verses a chorus, catchy hook, tight mix, bla bla bla..Structure and order can help you to focus, people with ADHD are able to "hyperfocus" (go into these deep focus periods) and that could help your production.

My way of finishing what i start is just that i want a finished product. At the end of it all i gotta have a proper song if you get what i mean. If i dont finish it i got nothing as i see it. Maybe that doesnt help but it's my way of seeing things through.

Only have 1 track that i didnt finish out of i think 13, and ive kind of scraped it as forgot to save the synth noises that i started it with.

I keep trying to find a way to stick with my track and finish, but It is very difficult because of my ADD. I thought it was a good thing because I think of so many different things at once, but my attention span keeps getting the best of me. I try coming back to the tracks and lose focus. I see where I want to go with it, but keep creating new patterns on other tracks. I have hundreds of tracks started and there is not one that I can say is close to being finished. Im sure I am not alone on this. Any pointers on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
2Clever

i dont know if its your add

i do this consistently and constantly (though there is speculation that i might be)
i basically start tracks to learn technique it seemed
if i run out of ideas i lose interest also
basically
dont worry about not finishing a track i literally have thousands of false starts ranging from just a bassline to aminute or so of track
you're still learning whether you realise it or not

also
finishing a track comes with practice
the ability to keep a track going
it's far more difficult than people realise
i.e. all the tricks you need to learn sweeps cut off making effects

dont worry about not finishing anything yet
80% of most tracks are a good idea filled with fodder.

I have thousands of scrapped ideas, majority which I haven't even saved. I only work the best ideas to full tracks, that way I can properly learn about the details of making good ideas to good tracks. You learn more in the process of making one good track than in the process of making dozens of half-assed tracks.

spot on.

i didnt read the middle pages.

I also have ADD and I do the same thing. I just got my meds recently and im about to start making music again so i'll see how that works! ive noticed that its hard for me to take longer than one sitting to make a song or else it gets forgotten.

Back