People watching you during a Live PA set

M

mcshine

I don't mean watching from the crowd instead of dancing or whatever. I mean coming up behind you and breathing down your neck. "Whoa dude, how does this stuff work?" Ever happened to anyone? It did to me not long ago and it bothered the hell out of me.

Granted, it was a smaller, more "intimate" show I guess you would say, but still. . . Get the hell out of here! I'm happy to discuss production with people after my set, but not during!

When people try to get on the stage when I'm playing with my band, one of us gives them a good solid kick or I hit them with the body of my guitar and off they go. I can't very well whip someone with a MIDI cable or something though!

yeah that happened to me just this last weekend. playing a smaller party where me and my equiptment were pretty accessible. all sorts of job offers came up. so it's not always a bad thing. although some of the people are just annoying.

Watch out for them though, cause sometimes they're known to snag records or cd's....

mcshine said:

When people try to get on the stage when I'm playing with my band, one of us gives them a good solid kick or I hit them with the body of my guitar and off they go. I can't very well whip someone with a MIDI cable or something though!

carry an extra midi cable.

and whip 'em!

that can be your trademark!

This happens at almost every show.

I have just learned to tune them out obviously the are missing the point of the performance if all they worry about is the method of performance...

Though it suks when something gets unplugged etc because of some choad not paying proper attention...

I have also learned to load in gear in such a way as to prevent such "access" to the equipment...

whenever i played live PAs in clubs etc there was always some drunken dick asking "are the mics on?, switch 'em on will yer?" etc

You need to develop a Keith Richard style attacking stance - it's probably a good thing to invest in one of those old Casio AZ-1 jobs that you wear round your neck :)

az1.jpg

OK you'll look a twat, but you could really knock some teeth out with a bit of practise :)

MM

it does happen a lot

but most of them are just curious, sometimes they asked about "what software do you use?" and I'm always glad to tell them a bit

Messyman, the AZ-1 comment really made me smile. I'm playing a party in a few weeks where there's sure to be lots of cracked-out kids to piss me off; fortunately I'm playing my bass at this show and it's a big heavy bastard.

I had this happening to me almost everytime I DJ. people are all over you checking your gear out, askin you whats this?whats that? How much is this? etc..etc... It kinda gets annoyins. Also happens during the set especially when I do it live. And its kinda hard since I'm a mobile dj, But I've learned from it and set my cases and bins in a particular way to prevent "access" to my gear, wires, and albums. I just wish some peeps at a party have some common sense what would happen if we're wroking during the mix.

Back