I don't know my own music's genre!

Septon

lately my sounds have been...random, but I like them. i'd like to know if there are producer's with similar styles.

soundcloud . com/septon

maybe someone can help me out :D

Well, I didn't go listen to your stuff, but genre boxes are important so you might as well understand them or at least respect them. Find someone else that knows [the] music [scene] to help classify your tunes.

You may be slapping tomato sauce and cheese on a hotdog and thinking you're cutting edge. You won't satisfy someone who wants a hot dog or someone that wants a pizza.
Which part(s) is(are) better? You might be better off making traditional hotdogs and having one on the menu called a 'pizza dog'.

If you go too far with the mixing of ingredients, you become the place to eat AFTER you get tired of everything else.
When you need some variety....something different, which is cool long as you understand that your store will never be crowded. Lolz

Hey Septon. I often produce stuff that doesnt fit one specific genre, but probably borrows elements from different ones. Im pretty sure many start up producers face this issue. I agree with Girffin Avid about about constraining your self with a genre to find listening audience, but I also believe that it hinders your creativity and experimentation. In my opinion you should mix sounds anyway you want as long as they sound good, and keep experimenting until you find your own niche or start producing uniqueness in one of the already popular genres. Only after that I think you should care about what genre you're making. Constraining your self to a specific genre as a newbie producer, will most likely force you to make stuff thats already been done thousands of times; even if the quality is good it will still sound stale.

Last edited:
well I mainly produce dubstep...but with some experimental, sometimes almost ambience influences. At the same time there are touches of trance chord progressions and melodies. I'm not trying to change my music or fit into a genre, I'm really just trying to find similar music, I produce strictly as a hobby.

Floating in the same boat as you, except I'm more around Experimental Electro House 0__0
It's a real pain to figure out what to label my music as for any type of uploading website

I have decided to just go with electronic for mine. People like it or they don't. Each song is unique and trying to squeeze them all into one word for convenience's sake is silly.

If you are producing mainly as a hobby then do what you please! Even if it doesn't fit into a genre, it doesn't matter...anyway through all your experimentation and forgetting about boundaries you might invent a new genre of music....you never know!!

Tell that to Soundcloud, the thing is that people that aren't producers (Noobish Listeners) will most likely search up something generic like "Dubstep" or "Electro House" and my music won't show up cause its Experimental. And I dont' want to change it to Electro House cause it clearly doesnt fit that catorgorey..
Dang

Just call your tracks whatever genre you want. SoundCloud lets you write in whatever. Then, promote your whole SoundCloud site*, and YOU tell your listeners what genre you are. Don't wait for them to search for you. Make your page easy to find.

*Best way to create a presentable SoundCloud site, imo, is to create a few sets (however you want to arrange & customize them), and click the little wheel on the right of the profile screen, next to your "Mini Update". You can set it so people see your sets when they first land on your page. I think "sets" looks nice and clean, and gets all your tracks up on the top of your page, without people having to scroll or click "next page".

Just call your tracks whatever genre you want. SoundCloud lets you write in whatever. Then, promote your whole SoundCloud site*, and YOU tell your listeners what genre you are. Don't wait for them to search for you. Make your page easy to find.

*Best way to create a presentable SoundCloud site, imo, is to create a few sets (however you want to arrange & customize them), and click the little wheel on the right of the profile screen, next to your "Mini Update". You can set it so people see your sets when they first land on your page. I think "sets" looks nice and clean, and gets all your tracks up on the top of your page, without people having to scroll or click "next page".

Thanks for the tip

YOU tell your listeners what genre you are. Don't wait for them to search for you....

Sounds like a paradox. How does someone become a listener before they ever heard of you?
How would I suddenly stumble across your soundcloud page?
How would I get a blast/notice/update/news/message if I don't know who you are?

If your music is ONLY FOR YOU, you obviously DON'T NEED TO LABEL IT.
Labels are for OTHER PEOPLE who DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS (yet).

YOU tell your listeners what genre you are. Don't wait for them to search for you....

Sounds like a paradox. How does someone become a listener before they ever heard of you?
How would I suddenly stumble across your soundcloud page?
How would I get a blast/notice/update/news/message if I don't know who you are?

If your music is ONLY FOR YOU, you obviously DON'T NEED TO LABEL IT.
Labels are for OTHER PEOPLE who DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS (yet).

so If I'm following u I should label my music so other people who don't know what it is can know wat it is. But If I don't even know what to label it what duuuuderp.

Too complicated,forget it haha

Lolz, that's why I said get someone who knows music better than you do to label it.
A solid DJ will KNOW what genres you're mixing and to what affect.

"Oh okay, you basically doing electro-house with a dubstep bassline"

Again, if you're just trying to be EXPERIMENTAL and seeing what happens, carry on. But it makes no sense to court the followers/fans/supporters of ANY genre if you are not making something that works in their world. You see it happen everywhere. Dudes make 'club-bangas' that you can't dance to. Hop hop beatz you can't rhyme over etc...Dance music you can't...

It's because they are throwing around the ELEMENTS without understanding WHY the elements work and interact the way they do.
That means they are hit and miss and will NEVER make headway in a specific direction.
To be consistent you have to know what you're doing.

Mastery is making it look easy/coincidental/accidental/unconscious.
At the end of the day make sure it works in whatever context you need it to.

Being ORIGINAL/DIFFERENT for the sake of being Original and different is big waste of time.
In other words, if you're going to lead people someplace new, it'd better be better than where they already are.

Lolz, that's why I said get someone who knows music better than you do to label it.
A solid DJ will KNOW what genres you're mixing and to what affect.

"Oh okay, you basically doing electro-house with a dubstep bassline"

Again, if you're just trying to be EXPERIMENTAL and seeing what happens, carry on. But it makes no sense to court the followers/fans/supporters of ANY genre if you are not making something that works in their world. You see it happen everywhere. Dudes make 'club-bangas' that you can't dance to. Hop hop beatz you can't rhyme over etc...Dance music you can't...

It's because they are throwing around the ELEMENTS without understanding WHY the elements work and interact the way they do.
That means they are hit and miss and will NEVER make headway in a specific direction.
To be consistent you have to know what you're doing.

Mastery is making it look easy/coincidental/accidental/unconscious.
At the end of the day make sure it works in whatever context you need it to.

Being ORIGINAL/DIFFERENT for the sake of being Original and different is big waste of time.
In other words, if you're going to lead people someplace new, it'd better be better than where they already are.

0__0 Mindblown.

I hear ya. It's frustrating when you don't make something that clearly fits into one or two genres. If it's mostly dubstep, just put "dubstep," followed by "electronic" and "trance."

only listen to the first 2 tracks and i would call that "drum and base" tho its kinda to slow for that genre

I hear ya. It's frustrating when you don't make something that clearly fits into one or two genres. If it's mostly dubstep, just put "dubstep," followed by "electronic" and "trance."

That is exactly what i do and when people ask, I just say dubstep. Unless the person is a producer of dj, most people probably cant tell the difference. Just make the music that you want to listen to and if others like it too...Awesome!

Back