Friend Does Not Believe That Subgenres Should Exist in EDM (or any other music)

I've been involved in electronic music for over 10 years and the term EDM only came about when the US all of a sudden got into europophouse.

To me, edm isn't a genre...it's a catch all term for poppy hi nrg trance music. I know that a lot of oldschool heads don't even want to be associated with that term.

There are a million genres because there are a million ways to describe music. It's entirely subjective. A metalhead doesn't have use for a distinction between house and techno, but somebody from Detroit does and they won't hear the difference between death metal and grindcore for instance.

A genre doesnt even have to sound similar. Detroit techno can be wildly different from other Detroit techno and sound exactly like Berlin techno. But they're still different scenes.

Completely off-topic, but that is a contradictory statement. No one has the best opinion. Best is an opinion all its own. I don't think it's the best opinion because of the way I hear music and hear the large differences between genres and such.
There is a thing such as a best opinion. Either you have it or you do not.

Sometimes you have to concede defeat and let the better opinions prevail.

You do not need to convince your friend of anything. His thoughts make sense to me. Categorizing stinks. He needs to be left alone because his opinion on the subject is the best opinion to have.

The truth!

I don't think this is a battle worth fighting, Nexosaur. You can argue until the end of the earth and back, but your friend will not change his mind.

I have my own personal *UUGGGHHH* moments with genres these days; I'm pretty peeved that progressive and electro house, my favorite genres, have both undergone this ridic transformation into a more generic form of bigroom. I mean really, what's the point of having different genres on Beatport anymore?

But to add to Ddreams alcoholic analogy, if your friend is happy to get hammered off Nikolai vodka, then power to him! And power to you for wanting to differentiate between your spirits. I say you both just agree to disagree and have a beer.

Categories seem good to narrow stuff down and find exactly what you're looking for. They may be a bit excessive at times, but not completely bad.

Categories seem good to narrow stuff down and find exactly what you're looking for.
"Finding exactly what you're looking for". Another analogy here: ,

"You want to watch a video on youtube. And this video you want to watch is about "The hounds of Chernobyl" (pretty interesting documentary, if you ask me!).

You type the words "hounds chernobyl" into the search bar and hit the button.

Obviously, the first result is the exact video you're searching but then....

You start to pay attention for the other results. And those results are not just based out of the words that were typed on the search bar, but also on your history of searches on google.

Then, all of a sudden, your eyes are staring at a beautiful picture of a cat holding a lightsaber. Yes, a lightsaber! Your brain starts to work on how is that possible, and then...

You click the link. And see a cat fighting two dogs with a lightsaber. You laugh and all. End of video. Oh wait! There are more funny cat videos here! But this one, yeah, this video here... I wanna watch it. Because of the beautiful girl in minimal clothings in the thumbnail. You click it, then...

You're watching a video with some of the funniest fails you've EVER watched!

After 1 and a half hours, you realize you've forgotten to watch the video you wanted in the first place. But... what was it about?"

Moral of the story: you're on beatport searching for "drum and bass in the vein of Noisia". Then, the Beatport search engine gives you everything about Noisia. But click after click, you're presented with a "new link" to an unrelated dj or producer. Because Noisia released their album with Deadmau5 label mau5trap. and then, some of those artists left mau5trap to release their work with OWSLA.

You'll end up searching and listening to things you didn't want to in the first place. And that's how the industry rolls.

Categories seem good to narrow stuff down and find exactly what you're looking for.
"Finding exactly what you're looking for". Another analogy here: ,

"You want to watch a video on youtube. And this video you want to watch is about "The hounds of Chernobyl" (pretty interesting documentary, if you ask me!).

You type the words "hounds chernobyl" into the search bar and hit the button.

Obviously, the first result is the exact video you're searching but then....

You start to pay attention for the other results. And those results are not just based out of the words that were typed on the search bar, but also on your history of searches on google.

Then, all of a sudden, your eyes are staring at a beautiful picture of a cat holding a lightsaber. Yes, a lightsaber! Your brain starts to work on how is that possible, and then...

You click the link. And see a cat fighting two dogs with a lightsaber. You laugh and all. End of video. Oh wait! There are more funny cat videos here! But this one, yeah, this video here... I wanna watch it. Because of the beautiful girl in minimal clothings in the thumbnail. You click it, then...

You're watching a video with some of the funniest fails you've EVER watched!

After 1 and a half hours, you realize you've forgotten to watch the video you wanted in the first place. But... what was it about?"

Moral of the story: you're on beatport searching for "drum and bass in the vein of Noisia". Then, the Beatport search engine gives you everything about Noisia. But click after click, you're presented with a "new link" to an unrelated dj or producer. Because Noisia released their album with Deadmau5 label mau5trap. and then, some of those artists left mau5trap to release their work with OWSLA.

You'll end up searching and listening to things you didn't want to in the first place. And that's how the industry rolls.

I feel like subgere should just be limited to the basics: House, Electro, Trance, Dubstep, Trap and so on. However, when people start adding all the more complicated genres, I just say screw it.

Back