Is Aphex Twin Overrated?

Fudgetusk

I really liked his miserable tracks on SELECTED AMBIENT WORKS 2 but his other quicker stuff didn't seem so distinctive?

No?

Yeah some people definitely overrate him. I don't. Some of his stuff I love, some of it I really don't. It's always been like that.

Yea I'd say so. He's a fantastic musician and he's put out a ton of amazing material but I've met people that literally praise every track he's ever made as perfect...

His stuff is the definition of hit or miss for me. His tracks can be so dense that it's kind of a headache to comb through his discography to get to the "good stuff". I'd still say he's one of the greatest electronic musicians out there, but he's far from a god of music.

I don't know. It depends what you mean by over-rated. He has some idol fans. I like about 10% of his work. The same with John Frusciante. But that 10% is the best music in the world. True artistry. Original. And that 10% can change depending on the mood because the work is so deep and varied. But, yeah, for sure, there are some recordings just not on my wavelength and never make it into that 10%... and maybe I do consider those 90% bits over-rated, and the 10% I like for the mood I am in at the time under-rated.

Not all of his music is good, often it was simply acid techno, higly ripetitive and consolidated, but at the same time he did some of the best electronic albums ever, running between different genres every year in the 90'.
However I can't stand people saying "How he could have done this music!" or "His gear is alien, he used to use modified synths and drum machine"... he wasn't the only one doing it and nothing of that defines his music, instead it's a mixture of skills to write great melodies, soundscapes, rhythms... nothing inconceivable.

I think he's wal-mart's version of squarepusher. LOL
HAHAHAHA, I like that one. But in all seriousness, he has accomplished a lot in his career.
Making the type of music he has made, in this industry, he has come very far and I give him respect.

But It just doesn't grab my ear that much. Maybe when I was younger it did.

Last edited:
I don't know. It depends what you mean by over-rated. He has some idol fans. I like about 10% of his work. The same with John Frusciante. But that 10% is the best music in the world. True artistry. Original. And that 10% can change depending on the mood because the work is so deep and varied. But, yeah, for sure, there are some recordings just not on my wavelength and never make it into that 10%... and maybe I do consider those 90% bits over-rated, and the 10% I like for the mood I am in at the time under-rated.

Tho, john is quite underrated i must say...

Aphex Twin/james is vastly ovverated, i've been thru the same "ooooh check this out, this is awesome" thing and i'm usually underwhelmed.heck, most of the time i'm not even whelmed.

Back