Outside of Jamaica, which country embrace Reggae the most?

BOOMSHAK

Is it England, Japan, belgium, Germany, Italy, central and south america or Africa on a whole? I want to know from people from other countries if you hear reggae on the radio and on the music charts regularly other than Sean Paul and shaggy.

Do year hear a Bounty killer or a Beres alongside a Maria Carey or a Kanye or is everything seperated in little groups like in the states..

dont forget Canada.
check sales for Sean Paul, Beanie, Bounty in places like Toronto and Montreal.
Not saying it can challenge England but there are a lot of island peeps here in Canada too.

here in europe, the radio mix up a lot, and old reggae is a part of it. we don't work so strict with format radio, or some even not at all.

dancehall is more a subculture, it's getting more popular, but not really mainstream yet. You have in almost every region one or more dancehall radio shows a week, and a lot of parties.

Germany and france are the biggest reggae/dancehall fans at this moment, but italy and belgium are on thier way up also. In france a big part of their music is 'Creol Dancehall', wich means in french and most artist come from martinique (like 'Yannis Oudia', 'Admiral T' or 'Les Negs Marrons'. The UK is more stuck in their own variations like UK garage and digidub of steppersdub.

Big Up to Canada , DanceHall is a big thing in Toronto!!!!! We in Montreal are starting to slowly catch on

Reggae is huge in France!

Everyone around me was listening to things like IJAHMAN LEVI, Israel Vibrations, Twinkle Brothers, etc.

not just the recent stuff.

Last edited:
I know London for a fact, loves reggae... Everytime I go over there to visit fam, I listen to pirate stations and they rock the new and the old...

Anyone from japan in here? What's the scene like over there. With the exception of Shaggy and SP, I want to know if our artist like Beenie and Buju perform in the big stadiums when they come to your town or is it in the clubs or part of a festival like when they come to the states?

Stadiums or clubs you asked!?

well i know you probably said you want to hear from people in other countries but i'm from Jamaica but since i happen to have worked with these artistes over the year's i can definitely shed some light on your enquiries. You've actually hit the nail on the head with your assumptions that the reggae artistes actual actually don't play the stadiums and arenas as the other pop artistes even if they have a huge success succesful record out like a Shaggy or a SEAN PAUL. They are usualy put on Festivals etc and bunched in with a lot of other artistes to appeal to a larger audience and to better attract ticket sales and trust me i've often asked these questions over the 17 years i'v e been touring ,playing drums and Programming beats for Shaggy,Maxi Priest ,Diana King,Sean Paul,Apache Indian & Big Mountain to name afew ... anyway just thought i'd enlighten a you a bit we can discuss this further anytime..MYSpace.com/GrooveGalore

Last edited by a moderator:
PANAMA.
RAdio stations over here have there complete set up on Roots, DAncehall, Spanish reggae, Reggaeton...you name it.
From Buju to Bounty Killa, Sizzla Kalange...you name it.
Every other month they come to Panamá...the last big event was with Elephant man

well central america is definitely a huge disciple of reggae music and dancehall, panama has its own dancehall movement, with spanish artists often buying rights from jamaicans to translate their songs, theres a 'scaredem crew panama' as part of the official scaredem family, and rasta artists you would sware are jamaicans that know spanish good. In Costa Rica roots reggae is the thing, groups like Godwana follow the steps of beres, morgan heritage etc. and here in Belize, well you could say the top hits are jamaican songs, we gobble up everything, and i mean everything jamaica releases

i've been in japan 7 years now. reggae is huge here. some people say it's because, like jamaica, this country begins with "ja"! ha ha!

but seriously, yokohama is huge for reggae, as is osaka i hear, and the reggae sunsplash is returning this summer for the first time in many years!

It's huge in Toronto, Canada. Half the Reggae artist of today are actually from there. I think(just my opinion)it's just about as huge there as it is in the islands.

deranged has a point, its huge in the islands. so, i think u should have rephrased the question and aske which countries outside of the Caribbean....

Toronto has been crazy over Dancehall since time!!!! We have nuff peepz from the Islands over here!!!Zeen!?!?

Panama

Every Week Theres A Major Dj Performing, Dancehall Is Played At All The Major Radio Stations During The Prime Time Hours. Weekends.. Etc. Its Been That Way For 15 Years Or So... If You Are Downthere You Get To See Buju, Bennie And Sizzla At Least 10 Times A Years Many Cases More.

I gotta say that reggae is BIG in the UK but it's mainly underground and pirate stations, especially around London and Birmingham.

Plus a lot of styles have evolved from or been influenced by Reggae in the UK eg UK garage, jungle grime etc etc

Last edited by a moderator:
belizeño said:
well central america is definitely a huge disciple of reggae music and dancehall, panama has its own dancehall movement, with spanish artists often buying rights from jamaicans to translate their songs, theres a 'scaredem crew panama' as part of the official scaredem family, and rasta artists you would sware are jamaicans that know spanish good. In Costa Rica roots reggae is the thing, groups like Godwana follow the steps of beres, morgan heritage etc. and here in Belize, well you could say the top hits are jamaican songs, we gobble up everything, and i mean everything jamaica releases

those are jamaicans, blood, they just in panama, the city of colon look just like kingston. and they dont claim being spanish people they're so west indian

Last edited:
Back