Dancehall explosion

F

flareward

Wots everybodys opinon on the current trend for dancehall music???....Sean Paul makin big waves...Elephant man...Beyonce...112 with Supercat..R Kelly new joints...wayne wonder and Lumidee...busta etc etc.

Is this just a industry fad making the most of a new trend or is it time that dancehall had it's shine???....last time it was big like this was when Shabba/Shaggy broke.

I've got JA hertiage so this ain't new to me but i'm surprised with all the exposure that is around at the minute. Even ODB has a new joint on the Diwali riddim. My opinon is that it is a good thing and it's about time it was recognised.

P.s

Enuff with the new dances as well....i've got a 6yr old nephew showing me how to "signal the plane" and "give dem a run"...haha

i'm glade its doing big things in music. the only thing i would like to see is more dancehall artist or dj's break out in the mainstream besides sean paul, and other artist not use dancehall riddims cause its whats "in" now. just my thoughts on it.

u R right

yep,
it has been so long, i wanted dancehall to be recognized. i remember the first time a saw on winamp in the songs category the dancehall entry :victory: . that was when i realized, this music was no more only for west-indian, but for who love reggae/hiphop and the bass power.

no matter if ragga is or not listened by the mass, it will still be my number one. :cheers:

This has crossed my mind a million times..

Is dance hall exploding...
or
Is the new pop media "hip hop" acquiring a new marketing/money making tool.
------
Proof
1)No "real" Dancehall artist has YET TO BUS.
2)Every single that really makes any money is HIP Hop Influenced.

My question is how is dancehall really benefiting from all this, yes we get exposure but we are also demeaning the art form.
Just as hip hop did after 96'(ie E VS W) and the "jiggy era"

xtraclip.com said:
This has crossed my mind a million times..

Is dance hall exploding...
or
Is the new pop media "hip hop" acquiring a new marketing/money making tool.
------
Proof
1)No "real" Dancehall artist has YET TO BUS.
2)Every single that really makes any money is HIP Hop Influenced.

My question is how is dancehall really benefiting from all this, yes we get exposure but we are also demeaning the art form.
Just as hip hop did after 96'(ie E VS W) and the "jiggy era"

Yep thats true...besides sean paul & shaggy, no other dancehall artists is makin a impact in america

ye buju, beenie, & ele put out videos this year, but they havent got enuff play!

The definition of a real artist

"He advances yet does not seek fame.
He retreats yet does not avoid blame.
He seeks only to preserve the people,
And his advantage accords with that of the ruler (Bob)
He is the treasure of the state."

Chapter 10
Sun Tzu's Art of War

Back