Why do producers do this?

supaproduca123

you like some producers on soundclick sell beats exclusively but also they but it up as a free download. so if i download it but somebody buys it exclusively...whats the point of downloading and why would the producers put it up as a FREE download??? that doesnt make any sense cause i wanna rap on some beats thats up for free.

The point is that the free beats are gonna be used by people that either aren't serious rappers or aren't making any money off of music so by having them for free download they generate a lot more interest, go a lot higher up the charts and will probably get a few people that are willing to pay hear their beats.

Having the beat up for free download AND exclusive sale though is dumb. You should have beats that are pay only and the odd completely free one to generate interest.

I wouldn't worry about it though. If you like the beat then buy it exclusively as long as it doesn't cost a ridiculous amount considering the situation. You're probably never gonna hear anyone else not connected to you rapping over the same beat. And most likely your fans (if you have any) won't either.

If you were 50 Cent however and you wanted to use the beat on a lead single then it's a problem.

The point is that the free beats are gonna be used by people that either aren't serious rappers or aren't making any money off of music so by having them for free download they generate a lot more interest, go a lot higher up the charts and will probably get a few people that are willing to pay hear their beats.

Having the beat up for free download AND exclusive sale though is dumb. You should have beats that are pay only and the odd completely free one to generate interest.

I wouldn't worry about it though. If you like the beat then buy it exclusively as long as it doesn't cost a ridiculous amount considering the situation. You're probably never gonna hear anyone else not connected to you rapping over the same beat. And most likely your fans (if you have any) won't either.

If you were 50 Cent however and you wanted to use the beat on a lead single then it's a problem.

Okay but thats very stupid because some of them are not tagged and with good sound quality i get that if u buy exclusivley you get the rights but thats silly to do.

you like some producers on soundclick sell beats exclusively but also they but it up as a free download. so if i download it but somebody buys it exclusively...whats the point of downloading and why would the producers put it up as a FREE download??? that doesnt make any sense cause i wanna rap on some beats thats up for free.

Well, they are letting people download it for free for people to listen to-- but NOT to use in their productions or to rap on...

When you license it exclusively, you are the only person who is authorized to use the beat in this manner.

...you can download it for free to see if it is something you would like to license... *not* "free to license"...

there is a huge difference.

Im using the free beats to ride up the charts. Once you get on the top, the money starts flowing. Or so they say. lol

Last edited:
Most producers state that FREE DOWNLOADS ARE FOR PROMO USE ONLY, in other words NOT FOR PROFIT USE.

Basically if you decide you've wrote a good song and you want to use the beat for ur album or single (get a pen and write this down) YOU HAVE TO BUY IT!

If you don't and you start selling units physically or online you can get tracked down and any money you've made can be taken from you AND additional action can be taken!

So do yourself a favor and just pay the man for his beat.

^ co-sign...and start doing the same thing if you are a producer...your beats need to be available free to get any kind of real notice in the first place to be able to sell enough exclusive beats to sustain your production business (if that's your goal).

I don't know of any online producers that are making real moves and sustaining business that is not following that business model...btw it's the same business model Artists are using now a days...give out your music free to get your niche of people to buy your physical album, merch and tickets to your live shows.

It's a form of promotion. all kinds of people do it all the time. like if you go to free app alert dot com, you can get free ipod touch and iphone apps for free. after a certain amount of time, they go BACK on sale.

That's how business make money. It's like a free sample to some, then when people don't get on it right away, they literally have to pay the price.

It's age old in it's technique and the best thing to do is to make sure you check around more often for fire, free beats that can make you hot.

Back