For those that feel that unauthorized sampling has no drawbacks whatsoever...

Heard about this. I mean.. yeah.. stealing is stealing. That's going to be the original artist's argument. We're all musicians here, and we fear nobodies using our beats without permission, even with tags on them. Imagine when you've actually got something at stake, and a big somebody steals it and makes $$...

That said, I'm not against sampling. It's a unique art, and I get it. But this should be a lesson learned... Just make sure the sample is cleared somewhere along the process, either by you, or whatever representation you might have, before releasing it for sale. Skating under the radar is cool until you get more popular, or land that hit placement you want. Then you'll be exposed... but that's also a good thing, right? So I agree. Sampling certainly does have drawbacks.

The reader comments below that article are crappy... People who see the surface and don't know the history (or future) take broad jabs at the whole genre.

That's why its so important as a producer for you to specify to artists exactly what it is that they are paying for...

#GetUrContractsStraight

...although IMO most I've dealt with don't care (if they like the beat).

Back