Music Licensing 101

tearsof

Ok, 2 artists writes a song. I publish the song for them. Now this makes them the composers & me the publisher.

This song was placed on a website (audiosparx) where people come looking for music for TV, film, radio and DVD's. Someone wants to use the song. So I am contacted by this website about cue sheets for BMI.

Now, the site tells me I should make them the publisher to ensure the cue sheets are submitted correctly. This means though they the site, not me gets the publishing that I would get.

So if the song was worth 1000 bucks, Amy & Vinss would get 1000 and I get zero, but the site would get 1000 also. How do I stop this from happening and take control of my own licensing?

Create your own license agreement and publish your own music. When another Audiosparx comes around, send them an agreement to sign before sending them the track. Sorry, but you where manipulated by an experienced manipulator. Que sheets get submitted regardless of who the publisher is. They basically told you that they needed to be the publisher of the song for them to submit it. If would have said no, they probably would've pass you by so they could find someone else to take advantage of. Next time, find out who they're submitting your music to and submit it yourself. I'm sure you'll make sure cue sheets are submitted correctly.

Last edited:
you can work with a publishing company or you can be your own publishing company

as I'm starting a publishing company I will be getting such and such % of publishing from ppl sign to my publishing and production company

but for this venture to have value
1.I must have contacts to get music placed and,license, brought from indie labels
2.have many avenues to get music placed and licensed from multi-media & advertising companies

so I'm building relationships now

Back