Music Demo Submission Service....A good idea?

dc456

Hi all,
I came across an idea over the Xmas period. I have successfully ran my own record label releasing house music over the last two years, but also building a decent set of contacts including many other record label owners/A&R managers.
One thing that I have always found really annoying is that people submit demos in a genre which is completely different to that of the record label (also, some are just absolute sh*te!).

My idea then...to set up a platform which allows DJ's to upload their demo, providing they can confirm certain criteria, to ensure the demo is of a good standard. Once the demo has been uploaded, it will be assigned specific 'tags' to categorise genre etc - and then sent out to record labels where an introducer fee would be charged if they sign the track. This is something I would definitely use as a label owner if it meant that I wouldn't receive sub-par demos.
DJ's/Producers - would you use this service/be willing to pay a small subscription to have access to this service? Interested to get people's opinions on this

Last edited by a moderator:
Pay money for what? Why are labels charging money for people to submit music? Aren't labels supposed to be making money from selling music? Any label charging money for submissions is a scam. Flat out. Musicians should NEVER pay to submit money. It does not work.

Hey, I think you may have somewhat misunderstood the concept. I am not suggesting somebody pays a record label to submit music.

My suggestion is that the producer submits a demo onto a 3rd party platform, which can then be submitted directly to record label owners who I have built up a relationship with personally. As a record label myself, I know how many demos they can receive, however if there is a professional partner sending hand picked and top quality demos, this will make them stand out in the crowd. Hope this makes more sense now.

Hey, I think you may have somewhat misunderstood the concept. I am not suggesting somebody pays a record label to submit music.

My suggestion is that the producer submits a demo onto a 3rd party platform, which can then be submitted directly to record label owners who I have built up a relationship with personally. As a record label myself, I know how many demos they can receive, however if there is a professional partner sending hand picked and top quality demos, this will make them stand out in the crowd. Hope this makes more sense now.

I know what you meant. There are already services like this. Companies like Broadjam, Sonicbids, Musicclout, and others do this. Producers and musicians pay money to these companies and then the companies forward the music to the label.

But no matter how you present it, this is a horrible deal for the musician. No musician should ever, ever, ever have to pay to submit music to anybody. The label should be paying interns to screen music. Most people do not get record deals from these things. Those that do only get small deals that do little to build income for the artists.

Labels are supposed to be working to make money for artists. Those that outsource screening music to other services are not helping artists. They are only enabling middlemen to make easy money. That is shameful. That is the bottom line. Stay away from pay-to-play!

Fair enough. I appreciate your honest feedback.

I do personally think there is a market for this, providing that it is handled tastefully. I think a lot of people would be happy to pay a small fee on completion of a demo being signed, but I take your comments on board.

Fair enough. I appreciate your honest feedback.

I do personally think there is a market for this, providing that it is handled tastefully. I think a lot of people would be happy to pay a small fee on completion of a demo being signed, but I take your comments on board.
Yes. I agree that there is a market for this. I also know that many people will pay to have their demo submissions sent to record labels. The companies I mentioned earlier already have businesses that focus on what you want. You should contact those companies and see if they can help you.

But I also think that most composers never stand a chance at gaining anything from paying money to submit music. The odds of landing a deal are the same as submitting to a label. The odds for failure are hard. The only people that make money from these things are the middlemen.

Okay, I understand the concept. You are basically going to act as a freelance A&R.

The income model is what? You'll be charging the artist to submit? Why not charge the record labels for your service instead?

As Desire Inspires pointed out, it's a pretty poor business model as it stands and there's plenty of competition.

From what I understand, your supposed USP is the fact you have a number of contacts in the industry. Correct?

Not really a USP, when most of the companies Desire Inspires listed advertise the fact they have a number of contacts in the industry.

Do something that these companies do not already do, and you may have a business. Otherwise, I advise you don't bother.

Okay, I understand the concept. You are basically going to act as a freelance A&R.

The income model is what? You'll be charging the artist to submit? Why not charge the record labels for your service instead?

As Desire Inspires pointed out, it's a pretty poor business model as it stands and there's plenty of competition.

From what I understand, your supposed USP is the fact you have a number of contacts in the industry. Correct?

Not really a USP, when most of the companies Desire Inspires listed advertise the fact they have a number of contacts in the industry.

Do something that these companies do not already do, and you may have a business. Otherwise, I advise you don't bother.

hmm I think it could work it's a pay to play model. but I haven't put too much thought into this thread but it makes sense to me. I mean hell at one point music used to be a free medium and now desperate artists (including me) pay to play AND consumers pay to hear. so this could be marketable. maybe make it to where the artist pays the fee on the back end IF the record sells units/gets spins and surpassing the cost it took for them to have it picked up by the label. just a thought. I mean whatever he does it has to be in favor of the artist. I have no problem paying for something if it works. if I spend money and/or time on something I sure as hell better see results.

Back