Digital Music Distribution

Chater-La

I just wrote a review of one service that distributes your music online to itunes, amazon etc., as it's practically impossible to do this yourself and it's much easier to use an aggregator to submit your music to these digital stores on your behalf. There are several other veteran services that do this as well that I review (e.g. tunecore, reverbnation etc.).

So I am curious to find out which do you use and why?

https://en.audiofanzine.com/the-bizmo...on-.html#pages

Comments most welcomed.

why not distribute music online yourself? on your website

Traffic to your website pales in comparison to the traffic at iTunes, Rhapsody, Amazon, etc.

Believe it or not, a lot of not-so-tech-savvy people, upon hearing about a new band, fire up iTunes to find the music rather than a google search. And for many, it's far easier to purchase music on iTunes - where one may have an existing account and may be purchasing other music at the same time - than firing up the credit card on unknown Band X's site.

Not saying distributing on your own site is a bad idea, far from it. But why limit yourself to only that avenue? Watunes, for example, distributes digitally to most major online retailers for free.

It's like saying I make great homemade strawberry jam, but I will only sell from my house and who ever wants can just come. It makes more sense to sell in supermarkets as well ;-)

Traffic to your website pales in comparison to the traffic at iTunes, Rhapsody, Amazon, etc.

Believe it or not, a lot of not-so-tech-savvy people, upon hearing about a new band, fire up iTunes to find the music rather than a google search. And for many, it's far easier to purchase music on iTunes - where one may have an existing account and may be purchasing other music at the same time - than firing up the credit card on unknown Band X's site.

Not saying distributing on your own site is a bad idea, far from it. But why limit yourself to only that avenue? Watunes, for example, distributes digitally to most major online retailers for free.

i agree up to a point. but that is based on the demand of the consumer. If I was Jay-Z or Kanye, or another artist who is pretty much guaranteed to be #1 when they drop a new album. itunes takes 30% for 'distrubution'. for math purposes let's say they are expecting to sell a million on itunes. that's $990,000 total sales. Itunes keeps $297,000 of that. for what hosting 100 mb on a server? but if the artist/publisher (or label) sells it on their site for 75 cents. the publisher saves 5%.($49,5000) but the consumer saves 25% and is more likely to go to where it is cheaper. I think that if you can distribute it everywhere, do it. but drop the price when you distribute it yourself.

Back