Discussion: Free Beats, Are They Hurting Us?

CeeGramz

Do you guys think that the producers giving away beats for free are hurting the production world? Do you think the beat websites that are selling beats for $10 a pop are hurting us? What do you guys think? All are welcome to share your opinions.

i dont think so. personally, ive never heard of anyone doing that. but i could be wrong. more than likely if a producer is really good, they wont be selling beats for 10 dollars. so serious artist who want really good beats will do the work to find good producers

well i don't think its hurting anyone, b/c i make dope ass beats, and i let em go for free b/c i don't care about the money, im all about the music

I don't think it's hurting anyone. I think that many producers rely heavily on the internet to make money. A Hungry producer would be something like his or her own A&R and find clients (Hit the streets, clubs, music conferences) and also learn how to say NO to time wasters (Producers gotta eat too). I love making music and continuing to grow. Some producers worry about letting a good beat go for free is risky (when it's actually not). If you believe in yourself as a good enough producer, u can make another good one.

Definitley not. Any good producer should know when it is time to put some type of value on a beat that he feels is able to gross money one way or another but if he feels that giving away free beats is a way to get exposure to artists and fans than go for it.I compare that to a restaurant just giving out some of those free samples when it first opens. However, if he is a good producer than he has to know when to put a price on his beats.If he does not than there would be major deflation of beats within the game.The only way that giving away free beats can hurt producers as a whole is if the new Timbaland, or Dr. Dre starts giving away beats for free. If that happens than who the hell would pay for another producer's beats when they will have 100 percent return on this new guy's free beats that result in multiplatinum sales. Think about it.Would you ever go to red lobster if olive garden found a way to give away free meals to everybody everynight? Hell no. But if that were to ever happen than the entire restaurant industry would eventually suffer including olive garden.The same applies to that new timbaland or dre. I am pretty sure that he gotta eat and provide to keep going.Any respectable artist should know that paying for beats keeps things in order and allows current talent to thrive, new talent to arise and the game to stay alive.Oh **** that rhymes.that was not planned.lol. The bottom line is that we all need to eat, and we are responsible for knowing when it is time to put a price on our beats.Oh **** that rhymes too.WTF?

Last edited by a moderator:
A producer can't make his first beat and then expect to get two grand for it. Giving away free beats establishes relationships with artists and if somebody else hears them they'll be more inclined to pay because the producer has prior experience working with artists. The people who sit on here and want to charge outrageous prices for beats, even though they've never collabbed with an artist before is what's hurting us. Dudes who don't want to give talented artists chances to make music with original production is making getting on very difficult for the artist. Even though this is a producer driven business right now, the artist is the one who has to give the track an identity and a feeling. Free beats only help.

:( Look! If HomeBoy Burgers have a 1/4 lbs burger for $.49 and Windy's have a 1/4 lbs burger for $2.99, I don't think Windy's care about HomeBoy burgers as long as Windy's make quality burgers and HomeBoy Burgers are using low quality meat. But the minute HomeBoy Burgers use good quality meat, then Windy's need to up there game, lower their price, or get out of the game.

Point: If you have quality beats, they're going to sell no matter how cheap other producers sell/lease give away theirs. Because at some point people are going to want that quality. But when the other producers quality match yours and they sell for less....well I think you get the point.

(note: HomeBoy Burgers is something I made up and I am not aware of a burger joint by that name)

I dont know about selling a beat for $10.00, but I do know that I would and do lease them for that price!! All depends on what level you are at being known even moreso than your talent level . However, noone, I mean noone sells a beat for $10.00 dollars exclusively or gives beatz away unless the beats are just flat out Bunk!!

RnB Instrumental J Anthony Crunkleton - YouTube
Producer J Anthony Crunkleton : Get At Me!!!!!! - myFlashStore.net
Producer J Anthony Crunkleton | Duquesne, PA | R&B/Soul / Pop / Hip Hop | Music, Lyrics, Songs, and Videos | ReverbNation

Back