What DAW to Use (Logic vs Reason)

Casella

Hello everyone, it's been a while since I've posted but I need some help.

I am getting a Mac pretty soon (YAYYYY) and I am going to need a DAW (obviously). Now, let me tell you what I am looking for:

- Mac compatible (duh)
- Best full package- making beats from scratch (and loops, SAMPLING especially), recording, and mastering.. EVERYTHING
- Something to fit a college kid's budget- no pro tools HD
*I make hip-hop rap beats and sampling is important to me

I have a PC now and currently use FL. I like how you can create beats from scratch so easily there. I am used to the interface but not opposed to a change. Music is mostly a hobby for me but I love to produce beats and rap, and I just want something that makes good sounding shit.

The 2 I keep hearing about are Logic and Reason, and right now I am leaning towards logic. I am going to research and watch some tutorials before I make my decision but I want to know what everyone else thinks? I am also open to Ableton, Studio One, Cubase, etc. but these are the 2 I keep hearing about!

There is no "best" DAW. Everyone has their own preferences.
Logic-I think it would be good.
Reason 6!-For me one of the best for hip hop combined with ReCycle it's a good setup.
In version 6 You can record,have split mixer tracks export. Everything U need in one 299$
At least if You like FL Studio you can run windows on bootcamp.

I repeat again it's all about personal preferences. Try all of them then buy and be happy.

Reason 6!-For me one of the best for hip hop combined with ReCycle it's a good setup.
In version 6 You can record,have split mixer tracks export. Everything U need in one 299$

I repeat again it's all about personal preferences. Try all of them then buy and be happy.

Yeah I know it's about personal preference and there is not a "best" that's why I was careful not to say it haha. I was just curious if one of them was more tailored more to something that I wanted to do and was hoping people could tell me their thoughts on pros and cons of different DAWs

Hello everyone, it's been a while since I've posted but I need some help.

I am getting a Mac pretty soon (YAYYYY) and I am going to need a DAW (obviously). Now, let me tell you what I am looking for:

- Mac compatible (duh)
- Best full package- making beats from scratch (and loops, SAMPLING especially), recording, and mastering.. EVERYTHING
- Something to fit a college kid's budget- no pro tools HD
*I make hip-hop rap beats and sampling is important to me

I have a PC now and currently use FL. I like how you can create beats from scratch so easily there. I am used to the interface but not opposed to a change. Music is mostly a hobby for me but I love to produce beats and rap, and I just want something that makes good sounding shit.

The 2 I keep hearing about are Logic and Reason, and right now I am leaning towards logic. I am going to research and watch some tutorials before I make my decision but I want to know what everyone else thinks? I am also open to Ableton, Studio One, Cubase, etc. but these are the 2 I keep hearing about!
Live is a better option for this than both Reason and Logic. I love Reason to death my favorite music program but Live is miles beyond Reason when it comes to sampling. If you mostly make keyboard beats then Reason is a better bet though Live does have a lot of cool stuff forthat under its hood as well. Live is really geared towards audio manipluation though and its much faster to get a sample chopped and going in Live than it is in Reason. That said I use both Reason and Live rewired because they each have their own strengths.

---------- Post added at 03:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:39 PM ----------

I would usually agree that it is preference no DAW is better than others in fact I think nowadays its best to have several DAWs that focus on individual tasks rather than having one do everything. That said since he mentions being able to sample and since its in the same price range Live is easiest way of getting into sampling quickly and making music. Reason you have to record a sample truncate export open recycle chop export reopen reason load. Logic record a sample truncate chop load esx 24 keymap in Live its record sample open drum rack truncate right click slice audio to midi done or he could get a plug in live Giest where u load a loop and it chops it into 16 pieces by default and that eliminates steps too. Some of these things are preferences but there are certain places some DAWs thrive in where others do not. Example it is a pain in my ass to mix in Live.

For sampling in Reason you might want to combine it with Recycle most likely. This way you can use the rex loop player to it's best potential.
Otherwise, you'd be cutting up in audacity. Or load your sample multiple times in NNXT and choose your start and stop points for them, which would be a nasty job to do and not even accurate enough for loop sampling. That NNXT route will get you cool skrillex vocal effects though :D

Nah, I love Reason, but I'm not that relying on sampling that much. I know how to do it in Reason, with the kong , dr rex in Kong and recycle to chop samples and such, it's very nice. It doesn't surprise me other DAWs are better suited for sampling though. In FL you can do it inside the DAW pretty easily and good, which you can't in Reason. If live is ahead more, you should check that out as well. Download the demo and go see if you like it. That's the best you could do. Don't rely only on what others say, see for yourself.
On the other hand, if you love Reason, you can stick with Reason, but you need recycle than as well and learn how to use Reason for your sampling.

If you like sampling I'd say go with Ableton. I can't say anything for Live because I haven't really worked with Live.

+1 for all Preference!
I have PT, Reason, Fl, and Ableton

I use Fruit Loops because i find it the most enjoyable!

i suggest ableton if you plan to work back and forth between pc and mac. if not i suggest logic for its price.

as a reason user i promise you sampling is a pain in the ass with reason, starting with the fact you have to buy additional software

If you like sampling I'd say go with Ableton. I can't say anything for Live because I haven't really worked with Live.
Ableton and Live are the same program. The program is called Live the company is named Ableton lol

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

i suggest ableton if you plan to work back and forth between pc and mac. if not i suggest logic for its price.

as a reason user i promise you sampling is a pain in the ass with reason, starting with the fact you have to buy additional software
It can all be done in Reason 5 and after without using external software it just takes longer.

Ableton and Live are the same program. The program is called Live the company is named Ableton lol

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

It can all be done in Reason 5 and after without using external software it just takes longer.

good stuff but thats kind of my point. if it takes longer than using recycle then thats even worse. my workflow flies like an eagle until its time to work with samples...unless im using ableton

Last edited:
its faster in Reason 6 but since I think most people asking these kinds of questions probably didn't buy the software anyway they don't have access to audio tracks in Reason 6 since it has not been cracked yet. Its a breeze in Reason 6 just snap to a note value pick the slice tool and load to your favorite device. Not as fast as Live but much faster than Recycle or the method i mentioned in the video

Back