What Are The Pros And Cons Of Using Virtual Instruments

Theformatt

i was curious to know the ups and downs of using software based instruments vs harware like keyboards. I have always used hardware but i have noticed that the software seems to be a better buy. Also how is the software compared to keyboards and synths like roland, korg, etc....

Thanks in aaAAAdvance

Your question is a bit vague, can you narrow it down some?

Your question is a bit vague but for me VSTs are easier to tweak then hardware. Some people will say that hardware has the better sound. VSTs can achieve the same sound as hardware but it will take some tweaking on your end. With keyboards (like the Motif and Fantom) the sounds are rich and thick as soon as you turn the unit on. With some VSTs they may seem thin and dry and may reqiure some. tweaking. So to me VSTs are easier to edit/tweak and create your own patches and hardware is great for getting great sounds fast. Hardware has more great features then what I mentioned but thats what sticks out to me when I read your threat title.

Sounds like the intro to another hard verse soft thread.

When you say hardware, you are being very specific.
You are naming ROMplers. Hardware keyboards playing back samples of musical instruments. Virtual Instrument is a very broad term.

To compare, you must narrow the field to equivalent products.
And ask for pros and cons for products like Steinberg Hypersonic....
Cakewalk Dimension Pro...Plugsound Pro...SampleTank...Kontakt..VI One...Sonik Synth 2..Goliath/Colossus

Last edited:
When you can figure out the Pros and Cons to Dogs over Cats as pets, or McDonald's over Burger King for dinner, you would've answered your own Question.

hardware pro's:
re-sell value
"better" sound
the keybed responds better to your playing (velocity/aftertouch)
not having to turn your computer on to compose a beat.
hardware cons:
price
size (only if you have limited space)

software pros:
price
ease of tweaking
huge amount of presets (not necessarily good ones though)
software cons:
that "thin" sound
n almost no re-sell value
having to work on a computer

That's just my opinion, personally after owning a keyboard (korg TR) and some VSTs, I'll probably never buy software again. Its just so much easier to work on a keyboard, but I will say that it is harder to manipulate what you played, I mean nothing beats a piano roll editor, but with new synths, you can have something similar. I would say to anyone who soley uses VSTs and thinks their music could improve, buy a hardware synth and see if that doesn't change something.

As far as quality goes, when I used VSTs, I had to mix them from decent to good, now I mix them from good to great. Ya feel me?

Oh, I'm a devil's advocate today.

're-sell value'
A powerful VST is ~$250. I can't think of a ROMpler that doesn''t depreciate the second you walk out the store for less than that.
Pretty much, it's an equivalent hit. The total cost of my VST verse the resale value I get back. The longer you wait, the less it is.

the keybed responds better to your playing
Depends on your MIDI controller.

not having to turn your computer on to compose a beat.
My computer stays on...

I see it as the same issues for both...Space...room for keyboards and racks and room for libraries and hard drives. Cost of a powerful PC, cost of a nice board or module.

I see your points, like I said opinion. Personally I think its preference. But there is no denying the sound of a great board.

And the thing about not having the computer on is a big thing for me. Some days I go in and just work on the MPC and keyboard, lay down a few beats. Then come back later and track them out. I don't want to have to deal with clicking around on a miuse sometimes.It gets in the way of my ideas.

Just for point of reference:
My laptop starts up out of hibernate and back into a fully-configured, ready to roll Ableton Live 7 session faster than my FantomX6 starts up.

Novation, Edirol and CME controller keyboards are every bit as good-feeling and responsive as workstation keyboards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yes, the Juno-G Loads up all my internal samples....very long wait. A6 has to turn on...warm up... and then be tuned....

Those MPC floppies....yuck.
ASR-10...damn...where's the OS disk?

But I do find that the need for multiple VSTs a pain. Learning one seems to empty the memory bank of how to use another. I spent forever checking every connection on my PC trying to figure out why Samplemoog wasn't playing any sound....and then I remember you have to initialize a sound first...

Back