Rebirth interface

Bongo Fiend

I've only tried a couple of few soft synths, and Rebirth is the only one I've used very much. I have to say I hate the interface though.

I can appreciate that they've tried to make it look and 'feel' like a real hardware synth. But IMHO this makes it clumsy and unintuitive to use.

E.g. Entering notes is a pain in the backside because you have to use the mouse. The buttons are all too small and you're constantly clicking backwards and forwards. It would be much better if there was a conventional 'piano roll' window (so that you could see all the notes at once). At least there should be some keyboard shortcuts for entering melodies rapidly.

Also, I hate the fact that I have to twiddle the knobs in real-time. It would be cool if you could use a kind of graph to say "I'd like the nob to smoothly rotate from this position on the 1st beat to this position on the last beat". That way you could get some accuracy, + you could adjust several parameters at once.

Having said all that, Rebirth makes some cool noises.

Can anyone recommend a soft synth that would be more up my street?

Cheers

"I'd like the nob to smoothly rotate from this position on the 1st beat to this position on the last beat".

thats exactly what i want too!!

is there any program at all that can to this u might ask? well i dunno, im a newbie at that kind of stuff. Just got my Cs2x and trying to figure it out.
but it would be cool if it was some kind of "command" u could set in for cutoff and resonance etc etc so they start at a specified point and get max at another point.

ohh well...

have a nice day!

if that's what you're looking for, you may just be in luck. There is a freeware stand alone proggy that lets you program your 303's with a fruityloops style note interface.

its called "pattern master" and i found my copy on a resourse page for rebirth. Type rebirth into yahoo and you should easily find a page of the sort. if nothing else works, i can mail you a copy of the program, no problem :)

-lodger

yes the pattern thingy is good. you cna find it in the links page on the official rebirth's site

oops. um. rebirth rebirth rebirth...hey there is a great downloadable mod from propellerheads for rebirth, called red stripe...

Cheers for the replies. :) I'll check out "Pattern Master" as suggested.

So do you think that Reason will be up my street? Good interface?

Later

orion has a bazzline

Orion Pro 2.0 from SonicSyndicate.com has a bazzline synth, similar to the emulated 303's of Rebirth that lets you step the notes on a piano roll/virtual keyboard type setup. And it lets you program the knobs.

hope this helps.

-Z

Sorry my reply is a little late, but "Pattern Master" is GREAT!!! I use it constantly. I've seen a freeware program for the knobs, but i've never tried it(search rebirth's Extras Section). And I agree that the RedSrtipe mod is sweet; make sure you download Jesus Park's "Sun" and the Remix "SunTempest" by Nicklas L vs The Storm ; your gonna like!!!
You may also want to check out the Dogma and Nord Beat mods.
Have fun..
The80sboy

about rebirth...

the coolest mod is i think MASSEN'S MSM 2.0
it has very nice drum sounds. and also you can add 2 more basslines in your song. but no chord changings or melodies. just the line...
i think rebirth is cool but it must have much more functions.
I am now using ACID 2.0. I make loops out of rebirth and put them together in ACID.
it works...
but still synth sounds lacks...is there any softwarez that i can make loops from synth sounds?
except reason...

Back