matching pitch of sample with VSTI

C

coldfingers

I'm sorry if this has been asked a million times, but I tried searching and didn't exactly know how to phrase it since everyone has their own terms and what not...but

i like to sample a lot of stuff, and i record them as .wav files, load them into FL Studio 7, and the beat sounds tight, but I want to add some bass and other sounds to it to make sure it's not just a 8 or 16 bbar loop. I'm using a free version of poizone and sytrus (and if you know any other free stuff i can get, i'd appreciate the help) but i can never get the VSTI im using to match the pitch of the sample. It never sounds as good as i want it to be.

i was just wondering if you guys had any tips or tools to match a phat a$$ bass line with the samples ya'll are diggin up.

thanks

yea...i've been trying to do that...i know i don't have perfect pitch but i can distinguish between flat and sharp notes and what not. but it's weird...im using something like poizone that has a "micro-tune" knob and i've tried some other knobs on the software...but not matter what i do...it never sounds like it matches any of my samples. maybe im not using the right controls, but are there any Fruity Loops users out there that have some sort of pitch plugin to help change the pitch of these VSTI's? i feel like the built in pitch adjusters completely suck

I like to rewire reason to fl studio when synching a sample pitch wise-- I can play a few notes on something like a piano sound to get somewhere near the pitch im hearing in the notes and chords... then i adjust the pitch in fl studio by increments using the main pitch control for that channel. Have to develop a ear for it- but that is a decent way to get on the right track..

try find a synth on your vst thats similar to the sample your using. once thats done open up a new pattern and on both channels make a long note [bar length will do] on c5.
.play them together at the same volume and while its playing start changing the root note of the sample channel. eventually at some note they should be in tune, whatever root note your using then is the pitch of the sample. you should also rename the sample to remind you of the key for the next time you load it up.

I do mean to be rude "learn to play the f u c k in g keys seriously use google and do some piano theory research don't make it complicated as once u know all the scale u will be able to replay anything u hear" if u spent as much time as u did searching for cracked software as u did with your keys u would know something right now smh....

Damn fail2009 althought your right you Didn't have to say it like that but to the OP thats it i just started learning theory how i can identify any pitch [1-12] in any music and i can identify any scale and its with any instrument it doesn't have to be the keys but the piano is the easiest way to go when leaning.

Ok here is how I think the best way to do it is:

Play around on the keys by ear until you get just 1 note that sounds right while the sample is playing. Hoepfully, your ear is developed enough that you should be able to do this fairly easily; all you need is ONE note that ur pretty sure is on key.

From there, you work around that. From that note find the next note either up or down that also sounds in key. This shouldn't be too difficult either because you only have two choices (for about 90% of music probably): either a half step away or a whole step away.

Do this a couple of times, and then based on where the half steps fall you can figure out what key you're working in.

Keep in mind that if you pitch shifted a sample, depending on how you did it, nothing may ever sound exactly right because your instruments need to be tuned in cents to the sample. If you go a little deeper, you find out that notes and tones are simply frequencies of sound (read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitch_(music)). So a note we call "middle C" might be anything between 250 and 300 hz (im not sure if these numbers are accurate, but just as an example), which means if you've pitch shifted the sample to the point that it plays middle C at 290 and your piano preset on your VST has middle C at 256, it still might not sound right even though it is the right note.

Hope that helps.

thanks for your responses tomblaze, rayzer, artik, and World Wide...that helps a bunch as i was having a tough time with the technical aspect of the software...thanks for understanding and helping me out.

to fail2009...it's people like you that make others hesitant to ask questions to try and improve their sound. i know how to play scales and have been playing the bass for a number of years...i was just asking for tips to try and match my vst sounds with my samples. i didn't spend anytime googling for any cracks or programs, so please, if you don't understand the question i am asking...please refrain from answering with a response that is so negative.

Don't let people like that scare it was the same way when i came here i even said that i wouldn't post here again but this forum taught me alot almost everything i know don't give up continue learning look at his name lol it has failure writting all over it but i wont judge him fully til i hear his music

To the op your right about my attitude but u have to admit i did help lol i was just trying to inspire u to become better! I'll be akuma of this forum i'll be hard to beat but once u do u will love me!

Back