Mac people, i got a question

Yean Hurrd

what do u guys use for mastering, i record in cubase but want to take it into another program to make it LOUD, what do you guys use, everyone i know uses soundforge which is windows only

(A) "Mastering" is not necessarily equal to "making it loud" -

(B) There is no program (on any platform) that's going to do anything differently than you could do it in Cubase. You can use the same hardware chain, you can use the same plugs.

A "mastering" program, by definition, is a program that's capable of producing a compliant production master.

That said:

(C) Most "mastering programs" (that is, programs capable of creating a compliant production master for replication) aren't as easy to work with as most multi-tracking programs. Especially with a hardware chain.

THAT said - A great Mac app for mastering (actually mastering - not "making it loud") would be Sonic Solution's "PMCD."

Last edited by a moderator:
i wudnt buy a completely different program for mastering, i would invest in some mastering plug ins if i were you, as you can use these in cubase.this wud mean you wudnt have to learn a whole new program, aswell as its plug ins.
try waves or t racks, or even look into some of the free mastering plug ins you can find on the net.

"Mastering plugins" - There's another buzzword... Good plugs are good plugs. T-Wrecks, Hair-ball, Blow-zone... Nothing I'd want to be using.

Not saying that good plugs aren't important - But if you're planning on dropping a few bucks on great plugs (not a bad idea) then go with UAD. I don't use plugs a lot, but at least with the UAD stuff, when I need to use plugs, I don't feel as if I'm making a big compromise.

Waves... X-Hum is great. Keep the rest.

If money is not a problem to you you can allways use Steinberg's WaveLab
Is a very professional software very good

I am partial to Logic's Multipressor and Ad-Limiter for mastering. I haven't tried the linear phase eq, but they make excellent plug-ins in general. I wouldn't suggest getting Logic just for mastering, but it does it well.

Benur said:
If money is not a problem to you you can allways use Steinberg's WaveLab
Is a very professional software very good
WaveLab is great - Not for Mac.

MASSIVE Mastering said:
WaveLab is great - Not for Mac.

I would recommend Peak BIAS - massively expensive, [edited for piracy suggestions]
It's often described as a MAc equivalent to Wavelab and, I would say, as a much better GUI.

Back