Kontakt 3: sound question

S

skeez

I was thinking about purchasing Kontakt 3. My question is how good is the sound quality with the instruments? I was wonder specifically about the strings and acoustic guitar. If anybody could give me some in sight I'll appreciate it. Thanks.

I think the strings are great. Of course you can expand them. I don't use the guitars much so I don't have an opinion on them. I used em maybe once and they worked for me. With that said, I don't use alotta guitars in my music. Hmmm new thing to try. More guitars.

I appreciate the info fam. I didn't know you could expand the sounds with Kontakt. I gotta go to their website and do more research.

I don't know but I would recommend to buy the Komplete package.
It is cheaper and you basically get everything you need to make good music. Drumsamplers, Synths, Bread and Butter sounds

True.......that's what i'm thinking about doing. I really don't need guitar rig though. I was thinking about getting komplete synth and kontakt 3. I'm looking into all options. I'm moving from hardware to soft synths. I'm thinking about getting gs-1 strum acoustic guitar and omnisphere also.

I thought about it, but Kontakt 3 and Battery 3 is all I had use for. I use the synths in Cubase 4 so that would overlap. Also got Omnisphere so I'm good. Yea look on the website. Kontakt is powerful and the sh1t.

i use Komplete alot its very nice and guitar rig is sweet most people think you have to have a guitar but you can plug any sound into it i use guitar sounds and then guitar rig makes them sound authentic and gives you room to tweak its gota a real nice sound to it if you like guitars... kontakt is the only thing i dont really use in it but thats isnt because it isnt sweet i just havent got around to it i heard its sweet for chopping samples like recycle but i havent learned it yet i got a motif and mv8000 and havent really been on the software side of things lately

Thanx for the info fam. I might look into getting komplete. I didn't think I would need guitar rig, but that sounds cool.

Omni is great. Patches just got updated. So many sounds in there. I've had it a while, but it has only made a few projects. Eventually it will start making all the projects.

Yo.....jikky your music is nice fam. Keep doing what your doing.

skeez said:
I was thinking about purchasing Kontakt 3. My question is how good is the sound quality with the instruments? I was wonder specifically about the strings and acoustic guitar. If anybody could give me some in sight I'll appreciate it. Thanks.

Firstly, understand that Kontakt 3's primary function is as a sampler. Kontakt 3 takes existing sounds, and allows the user to customize them to their desire (from simple tweaks like filters, to extensive customization like taking a bunch of unrelated sounds and making them playable like a new instrument). Kontakt is a complex but incredibly powerful tool for musicians who like playing around with their sounds to create new sounds and instruments. If this is what you eventually want to do, then Kontakt 3 is a must buy as its considered by many to be the #1 software sampler right now.

That said, if you're interested in simply using and playing the best software instruments you can, Kontakt 3 is likely not your best option. The library that comes with it is a fantastic starter library, with general instruments that have limited articulations and playability. Many instruments are tweakable in terms of sample mapping and filters, modulation, etc. which is nice. However, only a few have articulations and many of them have none at all, which is a problem if you desire realistic detailed performances from your instruments.

The VSL Orchestra (strings and woodwinds) and Band (horns, keyboards) collections in particular have some great sounds, while the Urban Beats, Ethnic, Synth, and Vintage collections are OK. Remember these instruments and sounds are there to give a taste of what Kontakt can accomplish in customizing and playing around with those sounds. To answer your specific question...

Strings

Pros: clean and crisp orchestral sound, basic articulations like legato, pizz, tremelo.
Cons: sounds are from the legacy VSL collection (not from their latest instruments), not useful if you want a more intimate chamber or quartet sound.

Acoustic Guitar

Pros: also clean and crisp sound, includes a pattern sequencer for emulating basic strumming.
Cons: limited out of the box chord / strumming playability (learning curve for getting a realistically playable guitar sound).

I'm not sure what type of music you compose (and your budget). If its leaning towards hip hop / r&b / electronic, then Kontakt 3 may make sense for you. If you want something more versatile and have money or are willing to save up, check these VSTs out:

For strings: Vienna Special Edition
For acoustic guitar: RealGuitar

Hope this all helped!

Thanks for the detailed info. That was great. I just recently saw real guitar, and I'm defintely copping that. What I'm going to get is Komplete 5 and Real guitar. I already have reason 4, and I'm getting Logic 8.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bear in mind also that once you have Kontakt, you can use a vast array of third-party sounds which are available for it. These range from free to
a few bucks per sampleset to libraries costing hundreds of dollars. Many are available online. Kontakt is probably the most common format among sample-library developers. So if you need a specfic thing, once you've got Kontakt, you can go and look for the sampleset.

alright........thanks for the info guys. I'm getting Komplete 5 and logic pro 8 at the end of this month.

skeez said:
alright........thanks for the info guys. I'm getting Komplete 5 and logic pro 8 at the end of this month.

Awready bro!!!! U should be stacked and good to go. What kind of midi controller u working wit? If you on myspace add me and hit me with a message. (Shout out to BEATSBYMARKUS I'm fukking wit you soon!)

I'm not on myspace yet, but i'm going to make a page after I get this new equipment. I'll hit you up when I do fam. I'm getting the Akai MPK49.

Back