IK Multimedia Miroslav Philharmonik Review

Obitheincredible

Your Mom's Best Friend!!!
Recently got Miroslav Philharmonik and as usual here is my review originally posted at Obiaudio.com . I got the Heil Pr-40 up next!

Well the deeper I dig the more I love IK Multimedia. They have wooed me many a times with their great T-Racks and Amplitube releases including Amplitube 2, Fender, Metal and Ampeg SVX. Every time something new comes out I try it out but every time I keep going back to IK Multimedia. It seems like no matter what comes out IK still has the best sounding stuff hands down and at any price! Well recently I started jumping into some of their Workstation products including Sonik Synth 2 and more recently Miroslav Philharmonik. In all reality though Miroslav Philharmonik is famous in its own right. Miroslav Vitous (a Prague composer, bassist virtuoso, and a founding member of the group Weather Report) is the man responsible for the Miroslave Vitous Symphonic Orchestra and Choir sample collections. From these world renown collections, including extra recordings not released in the original collections, comes IK Multimedia's Miroslav Philharmonik.

Now lets start with how and where it was recorded. Growing up I played Clarinet and then moved into Classical Guitar. All through elementary school, Jr. & Sr. High I played for any and every musical group I could. In school I played in the Orchestra, Jazz and after school I played in a few Rock bands. My Senior year 5 out of 8 classes were in music. I loved playing and learning music, but my favorite was when we got to travel. I have always had a fascination with sound and loved to hear how we sounded in different places. Gyms, cafeterias, malls, other schools auditoriums each one sounded great and had a sound uniquely their own. My favorite place to play was our auditorium because it had a nice wood background and floor along with brick sides along the stage and part of the audience section and a bright wall and the end of the auditorium. I always thought the strings and choirs sounded great there. Full and bright with just the right amount of reverb, that was til I went to Abravanel Hall where the Utah Symphony Orchestra play here in Salt Lake. If you haven't heard of Abravanel Hall check it out, it has won many awards for its acoustics and architecture.

Well as this story goes I had a friend who played there with the Utah Symphony Orchestra. He invited me to come hear him one night and I went loving every minute of perfection there. Hearing an Orchestra live is amazing, even more so in an amazing concert hall. It is thick, full, more lively, real, in your face- yet all around you. Some of the best recordings ever recorded have been in concert or church halls for a reason, they sound spectacular! Well the same had been done with IK Multimedia's Miroslav Philharmonik!

When Miroslav Vitous first started making the Miroslav Vitous Symphonic Orchestra and Choir Sample collections he was making them as a tool for himself, not as a product, but as a tool to help him compose using newer technology. These recordings are a reflection of the musical genius that is Miroslav Vitous. This collection was the first sample set that became widely accepted as the best of the best and quickly became a main stay all over the world especially in the entertainment industry. Some of the best movies soundtracks were done with IK Multimedia's Miroslav Philharmonic. (After playing through it for a bit it starts to sound familiar, not in a bad way more of a light bulb in your head going off saying "Ahh this is how they do it!") He started recording it in 1993 in the world famous Dvorák Symphony Hall in Prague. Because of the way it was recorded and layed out you get the sense of being there with real musicians layed out just like a real orchestra would! There is a familiarity in the sense of space, warm, full like it is in front of you yet all around you...just like in Abravanel Hall and that is not something that can be recreated with simple reverb and panning.

In IK Multimedia's Miroslav Philharmonik you have this award winning and amazing collection of the best musicians, instruments and choirs at your fingertips in one of the worlds best concert halls. Okay, okay, now I'm getting all the DAW users out there saying "We get it, it sounds good, but how well will it work in my DAW? What about effects and layering?". Well you need not worry about that! Like all of the IK Multimedia workstation series this is based on the SampleTank engine so if you have used it or any of the other workstations there will be a zero learning curve! 16 layer-able parts, each with 4 insert effects, 7 gigs of samples, 3 synth engines with traditional resampling, 20 world class effects including an amazing reverb from IK's own Classik Studio Reverb and it comes in VST, RTAS and AU working on both Mac and PC platforms. From a feature stand point alone this is a amazing deal your getting! The biggest feature to me though is the great and simple layout. In larger sample collections, much like this one, it is really easy to get lost or not know where to find what your looking for, but not here! Everything is laid out so easily you can navigate through it in a breeze! Want violins, cellos or even odd percussion? They are all easy to find with well named patches, you can even load all of these into SampleTank if you want to stick with that!

Now where I was taken off guard was the quality of samples. I know I was just raving on it, and trust me it is justified, BUT the other instruments you don't usually hear about included here are amazing! Now my favorite instrument to play has always been classical guitar and the classical guitar here is AMAZING! I mean, not just amazing for a workstation, I mean amazing as a classical guitar...my jaw dropped. Seriously, no joke I was speechless when I heard it. (Not entirely true. I was at first but then, if my recollection serves me correct, the only word uttered at first was "Really?" followed by "Seriously?" which was then followed by "Oh sh*t this rocks!") The Classical Guitar 2 patch was mellow and full sounding with a certain depth like I was playing a real guitar! Some adjusting of my playing and programming and I might be using this instead of recording in my less than ideal space again! (Compared to Dvorák Symphony Hall that is.) Another sleeper here was the Steinway Concert Piano and the Cathedral Organ which are great, different than what your used to hearing (Again that Dvorák Symphony Hall in action!) in other sample libraries but still very nice. It would depend on the project and sound I wanted to go for in deciding between a few different pianos I have but this is at the top of the list!

Now of course the strings sections, brass, woodwind and choirs were amazing as expected! There is nothing normal or even mediocre about Miroslav Philharmonic. From where and the way it was recorded to how it is laid out, this is a very realistic, full and thick sounding collection that has yet to be surpassed at this or just about any price point. Its so realistic there are even a bunch of patches of musician noises that can be added which included page turning, talking, tuning and warm ups! All that along with amazing IK Multimedia effects like Classik Studio Reverb, EQ's and Compression from T-Racks and Amplitube and of course the 16 layer-able parts, well you would be a fool to not look into IK Multimedia's Miroslav Philharmonik if you are doing any kind of orchestral work! Right now you can get the Miroslav Phllharmonik Classik Edition for just $99 at various places on line!

Good review. Thumbs up on Miroslav here too.

If you're going to buy it, get the full version not the classik edition. Same quality of sounds in the classik, but not nearly as many. Worth the extra $ to me.

Peace!

Nice review. I love Miroslav as well. Just find myself closing my eyes and getting lost in the sounds especially when using some of the Combi presets. It is my only IK product though that I can not seem to get the VST recognized for in Ableton Live 8 though. I have written IK, but they just told me to reinstall which I did. I found a workaround by loading it into NI Kore, but that seems really backwards. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Have Classik Edition. Will probably upgrade it whenever I get the chance. I may not know too much about Orchestral stuff, I probably should get a better understanding. But umm, what sounds should I put together to make a rich sounding combi patch/es?

Last edited by a moderator:
Have Classik Edition. Will probably upgrade it whenever I get the chance. I may not know too much about Orchestral stuff, I probably should get a better understanding. But umm, what sounds should I put together to make a rich sounding combi patch/es?

Not sure what is included in the Classic edition vs. full, but IK has done a beautiful job putting some combi presets together that ship with the full. I personally like "Fabric of Symphony" under the advanced ensembles which combines an orchestral performance with timpani, cymbals, staccato strings and legato strings. It real feels like you have a soundtrack at your fingertips. With the combi prest things like the cymbals with be set for hard velocities, so the become more for emphasys moments of what you are playing. The splits are cool combis as well. as they wil have one instrument on the lower keys pizzacatto string with a flute on upper keys, so you can play that really whimsical sound.

If the Classic version has the combi presets they are located right under the name at the top of the VST. There would be a black downward facing triangle.

Last edited:
How would you compare Miroslav with the VSL library? I know it's not fair. But, If for some reason I get to "Baller" status. I would like to know if I'm going to hear a difference.

You know what I notice about people when they compare orchestra libraries is they always compare them to other libraries. Its hard to say which is better to your ears. IMO This is the most realistic sounding one I have heard. Others I have heard are recorded and then are processed with delays or artificial verbs. I don't know which will sound better to you but to me its this.

Not sure what is included in the Classic edition vs. full, but IK has done a beautiful job putting some combi presets together that ship with the full. I personally like "Fabric of Symphony" under the advanced ensembles which combines an orchestral performance with timpani, cymbals, staccato strings and legato strings. It real feels like you have a soundtrack at your fingertips. With the combi prest things like the cymbals with be set for hard velocities, so the become more for emphasys moments of what you are playing. The splits are cool combis as well. as they wil have one instrument on the lower keys pizzacatto string with a flute on upper keys, so you can play that really whimsical sound.

If the Classic version has the combi presets they are located right under the name at the top of the VST. There would be a black downward facing triangle.
Yeah I heard the combi presets in a showcase on youtube and it sounded epic/beautiful. But unfortunately CE doesn't have combi presets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is IK cutting you a check yet or just putting you on their page with reviews?

I WISH! IK and REAPER both be owing me checks! I got a new series of reaper in depth reviews of all the plug ins and features I'm working on next along with some more mic reviews and I'm eyeing that Sampletron samplemoog from them too!

Haha. Just kidding. Nice review.

I saw your review on T-Racks was up on their site.

Somewhere I thought I saw you could get SampleTron or SampleMoog for $99 by the end of the year. Maybe I was just wishing. :)

Last edited:
I know I was way psyched when I saw that! I just need to get that kind of attention from my music! Sadly I've become more known for that instead of my music!

I know I was way psyched when I saw that! I just need to get that kind of attention from my music! Sadly I've become more known for that instead of my music!

I hear ya. Not to stay on the review thing but you were the reason I bought the StealthPedal while they had the group buy going on. I wanted it and your reviews on the pedal, Amplitube, and Ampeg sealed the deal.

How you liking it? I have been using it a lot lately, especially since I got a additional footswitch and a expression pedal. Its a sweet set up for live and I can take those tones back and forth to the studio. I love it.

How you liking it? I have been using it a lot lately, especially since I got a additional footswitch and a expression pedal. Its a sweet set up for live and I can take those tones back and forth to the studio. I love it.

I haven't had a chance to dig too deep but so far I'm loving it. I really needed an interface to record guitar and bass and with the group buy it was a hell of a deal. I got the StealthPedal, Ampeg and Amplitube and still have one left but haven't decided which yet. I'm still debating between the Jimi Hendrix one, T-Racks Standard or Miroslav Classik. The last decision is a tough one. The StealthPedal is awesome and it reminds me of my old Crybaby wah that I had to get rid of. I've been using Ampeg the most and it's great. For $200 it was a hell of a deal.

What kind of footswitch did you get? I can't find the one that they had on their website.

Yeah, it would be ideal live. I only use it to record for now but the footswitch would be helpful if I use it live.

You can use any 2 button footswitch or expression pedal. I got a livewire one from GC for like 30ish bucks and the expression pedal I splurged on with a roland that was 80. I only got it because they didn't have the moog one I wanted in stock and needed it that night. The programability is nice. I have it so that the buttons switch presets and the expression pedal is a volume. Then the stealth pedal itself is forwhatever and the footswitch on the expression pedal is for a tuner. I sold my Pod XT live and haven't looked back. Its sweet.

Nice review. I love Miroslav as well. Just find myself closing my eyes and getting lost in the sounds especially when using some of the Combi presets. It is my only IK product though that I can not seem to get the VST recognized for in Ableton Live 8 though. I have written IK, but they just told me to reinstall which I did. I found a workaround by loading it into NI Kore, but that seems really backwards. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Are you running Windows or Mac? I installed the demo version of Miroslav yesterday and used it successfully with Ableton Live 8 on Windows XP. It is my first and only VST though, I don't know if it has anything to do with my success. Other than that I can't say that I had to do anything special.

So far I'm very impressed with the demo and I will probably buy it, eventually, unless I find some strong arguments that I should buy Ableton Orchestral Collection instead.

Are you running Windows or Mac? I installed the demo version of Miroslav yesterday and used it successfully with Ableton Live 8 on Windows XP. It is my first and only VST though, I don't know if it has anything to do with my success. Other than that I can't say that I had to do anything special.

So far I'm very impressed with the demo and I will probably buy it, eventually, unless I find some strong arguments that I should buy Ableton Orchestral Collection instead.

I am running Windows Vista 32 bit right now. I'll be switching to Windows 7 64bit in a few days. Yeah it is strange every other program recognizes it and I own the whole suite of IK synth products and the rest of them are working fine in Ableton Live 8.1. Only Miroslav is not showing up.

I was kind of between Miroslov, East West and the Ableton/Sonivox Orchestral too. I think they are all 3 very fine libraries. I ended up getting a deal on the IK suite that made my decision for me as I also wanted to pick up SampleTron. I think I could have been happy with any of them, but I do not regret Miroslav at all. I am very pleased with it dispite my personal technical difficulty.

Back