dr rex?

steelwheelking

question I read somewhere that you can record yourself tapping out a rhythm on a table top and then save this as a wav import it into recycle save it as a rex then in reason use the rex file but assign it to its on instrument so you just have the rhythm u created but not the sound of you beating on the tbale top is this possible if so can some one explain further?

You can do this with any type of rythm groove or miditrack by using the "get user groove" option and assigning it to whatever device you want.

Port Royale said:
You can do this with any type of rythm groove or miditrack by using the "get user groove" option and assigning it to whatever device you want.
Okay can you please explain this to me like I am a 5 yr old I am having trouble understanding it .let say I have a rex file I like that groove but I want to apply that groove to a sample in the redrum how do I do that ?

Thanx in advance -=SWK=-

Paste the loop, export loop as audio file.(file-menu)

open the drum computer, load file of the loop...

seriously easy goin'......

Anders said:
Paste the loop, export loop as audio file.(file-menu)

open the drum computer, load file of the loop...

seriously easy goin'......
will that not only jusy play the loop in the drum machine how will I assign the sounds I want to the groove if I am importing a wav file.I want to be able to take the groove from the rex file and put that to my own sounds.

ok, its pretty simple...

1. take your sample you've made (bangin on the table) and make it into a rex file using recyle.

2. open dr rex in reason and load the rex file you have just made

3. preview the file to ensure you're happy that the groove has retained its original feel. you may have to play with the tempo a bit to get it right.

4. click to "to track" button on dr. rex and it will paste the groove as midi to your sequencer.

5. open nn-19 or whatever you want to trigger your new sample from.

6. move the rex midi groove to the track of your new instrument.

7. the groove/timing will be right but you will need to play with the note placement to ensure the right samples are triggering.

NB. i may be wrong but this won't work with the redrum. only nn-19 or the nn-xt.

if you're still having issues, pm me i'll gladly help you out.

peac

Paul Rez said:
NB. i may be wrong but this won't work with the redrum. only nn-19 or the nn-xt.
I'm pretty sure you're right, you can't open REX2 files directly in the ReDrum.

A useful addendum though is that you can open an individual REX2 slice in the ReDrum...very handy for getting at those single hits while still keeping everything neat and tidy in one file.

Last edited:
Back