Don't know what kind of software I need

Whittey

Ok, as I said in my first post (under What CPU thread) i'm just starting what will probably end up being a hobby. What I want to do is create songs like the Hampster Dance Remix, Inspector Gadget Remix, etc.... I found them on Napster and like the way they were done. I've uploaded them to my website. Check them out. I've no clue who made them, either.

What I want to know is, what kind of software would I need to do something like this. I don't have any music type equipment (no keyboard, nothing). My current sound card is a Yamaha OPL3/SAx. It was built onto my motherboard and was fine for games, but cannot be shut off and my machine just doens't like having more than one sound card.
My thrown together page is here.

-=Whittey=-

i'd say ur after acid pro from www.sonicfoundry.com this is the easiest thing to use, but i would suggest get a better audio card, i know its a motherboard swap + card.
Personally i would go for a turtle beach card as they produce the best quality lower end of the market cards

acid

Try sweetining the S.F. Acid with Sound Forge for your sample editing. It's a killer combo. (Forge also made by sonic foundry)

Well, i've aquired Acid Wav and i've already messed with Cool Edit 2000. Problem being a lack of manuals, but i'm sure you've had that problem before.....

I'll see about Acid Pro....

Will Cool Edit 2000 be useful in these adventures??? I've also aquired Rebirth, but don't have the manual for that either.....

-=Whittey=-

hiya..

Cooledit wil be helpful in sampling and modifying samples that you will use in Acid Pro ..
Rebirth sohould be useful in making basslines and drumlines..
however, Rebirth can be used to make a real song but i guess, you should export work from Rebirth and use it in Acid Pro...

Software

Whittey,

I hope I'm not too late. I hope you didn't make a mistake buy purchasing the sonic foundry program Acid, Acid Pro, Acid DJ or any other Acid prog. You cannot remix, you cannot manipulate the samples from within the program, you cannot create free music yourself with it.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON ACID -- IT IS TRASH!!!

If you are looking to create, remix or record and publish electronic music with out using extensive and expensive midi processing and huge money hungry synths or samplers YOU WANT A PROGRAM CALLED: "FRUITY LOOPS"

It is the best most versitile sampling, mixing, recording prog. known to man that doesn't use midi. It also doesn't come with a 600 page manual. It is easy and very powerfull.

Why take my word for it? I have recorded my own samples and made CD's for my local DJ friends to cut and mix but I'm not a pro. You can look to Pro-Musicians like BT, Scott Henry, Roni Size, Groove Armada, and other pro's that have either used in the past or still use this prog.

As far as cutting and looping samples you can use a program from Steinburg called "RECYCLER" alot of pro use this as well. It's easy too.

You can find Fruity Loops @ http://www.fruityloops.com butyou can get it for free by getting the serial from any warez site. Same with Recycler

PS: anyone that suggests using acid to you - doesn't know anything about electronic music.

m_dj_1

Oh Yea...

The best way to contend with a half-rate sound card and a motherboard who wont take a new one is big expensive self-powered speakers.

m_dj_1

Hehehe. I don't know if I can deal with a prog called "Fruity Loops." What if one of my buddies hops on my computer looking for my "image collection." What happens when he see's "Fruity Loops" there.... Sheesh! :)

I'll check it out. The download can't be that big, so hey! :)

Yah, my sound card sucks but I refuse to upgrade till the dual Athlon's(thunderbirds) come out. I've already got some Cambridge Soundworks (pre-creative, the good ones). I was thinking of giving these to my sister and getting the Klipsch ProMedia v.2-409's but I can't spend another $250 on speakers. Maybe next year...

-=Whittey=-

Acid pro is good if u know how to use it,
its perfect for making up samples or it u have two samples u want to combine, for me its excellent for making short loops to put into flash movies so i don't were m_dj_1 gets the idea its $hit from.
Also don't go talking about warez sites as they rip off software that people have worked hard to produce. If u don't help the little companies some of the $hit u use may have never been developed so pay for ur software as it continues development

Whoah..... Who said Warez. Everyone has their personal opinion of them, but noone said anything about them. I said that because most places provide a demo of their software......

-=Whittey=-

Wittney, if you need ot learn Rebirth, check out the tutorial on this site, and also feel free to ask any question

take care

reply to ade - "why is acid trash.."

ade,

if you read what whittey is trying to achive then you would know he's not looking to make 10 second loops for a flash movie.

acid is good if you use someone else's pre-cut loops and you don't want to do anything with it. but nothing more than that.

i guess you are against napster too huh?

m_dj_1

ps: using another person's loops on acid is basiclly the same as using warez. how can you create a song out of music you didn't make and then post it to a flash movie that you claim as your own? do you give credit to the inventor of the original loops in your flash movie...they do have authors and they are on the acid and sonic foundry sites....just a thought. i'm sorry if i offended you for trying to save a buck.

Good Luck Whittey

HeHe, Ade. You can't say anything without a little flame coming after you these days eh?
:D:D:D
Post some more and give me a few more laughs like the pres. post.

I disagree with M_DJ... he obviously hasnt used ACID to its full extent. But i do agree with him about Fruityloops, i make songs, and loops in there, and its great... I can sample sounds from my sampler, put them in floops to make a loop, save it, then export a wav, put it in acid, and et voila. if i want to change up the loop i just open floops again and change it up however i want. I use acid because things like fading is easier, it give me more of a visual on whats going on in my song. Fruityloops makes it hard to use loops. The 404 in Floops is absolutely great tho :). The effects rock too.

To sum it up, i think using software combinations is the best way to go. Although im making a song entirely in fruityloops just for the helluva it, cause Floops is so cool =-].

PS, M_DJ said something about not being able to make FREE music in ACID, what the heck is he talking about?

M_DJ is a fool... and I use all my own loop in acid... ACID lets you use other peoples loops to start off, thats how i started off... its great for learning... Sheesh M_DJ stop being such a dip****. lol

DJCJ is correct. you should first try to get the hang of the software. you could definately borrow sounds from others. but, once you are comfortable with it, you should definately try to get your own sound. :)

Well I never...!

DJCJ,

Good going on the insults. My rantings about the fact that acid is not that good and suggestion of using floops were soely based on the fact that everyone were lauding acid so highly.

Acid isn't as easy as FLoops and that was my point - I also don't think that Acid is as powerful.

I agree with you on using multiple software to create, I do like you - using soft and hard samplers to create a final project.

But I don't think I'm a fool for suggesting a peice of software to someone or discrediting another peice of software in the same right...it's an opinion and that is was forums like this one are for.

I was only trying to help this whittey kids get started right...sheesh.

m-dj-1

hey, m_dj_1, i am sorry. but you misunderstood me.

"M_DJ is a fool... and I use all my own loop in acid... " this is not my comment and nor do i support it.

"ACID lets you use other peoples loops to start off, thats how i started off... its great for learning... " i had supported this comment. i actually wanted to emphasise on the starting off thing to pl like whittey. i guess, i misframed the reply.

and i too am trying to help ppl like Whittey, you are not alone. there are many other softwares available like wavelab, buzz, trackers and so on. but then ppl like whittey would get confused and overwhlemed by the varitey of software available to them. so, it is better that they stick to something, try to get the hang of it and then migrate to any other software of their choice.
and yes, you may dislike ACID for your own reasons but i did recommend what i felt was useful.

infact, i sometimes use loops from rebirth, Floops and some of my own in ACID to make a song.

peace brother.

Back