Creamy 660 comp/limiter Cupwise Nebula release

cupwise

First off- I recommend you get the demo set, even if you are pretty sure you want to buy. The programs in it, I think do a decent job of showing what the programs in the set can do and sound like (to a degree), but there are limitations so read the .txt that comes with the demos to see what the limitations are and consider how the full versions would be improved over them for not having those limitations.

This new comp set is the first I've done from a tube compressor design. The site has plenty of info about it, and from there you can see the manual which has even more.

I usually try to add something new when I do these. Last time it was SHQ (which is more optimized this time around), and this time it would be the program dependent release behavior. I'm pretty confident that this is the first release to get this right. I don't think most neb comps even have a program dependent behavior of any kind that's doing anything, let alone working correctly. I'm not just saying this casually... I'm prepared to back it up.

What happens is that with less compression you get slower release times. Below 2db gives the slowest times. This of course scales/changes depending on the setting you put the control at, and so I had to painstakingly model this behavior and compare it to the hardware at several settings and compression amounts. The result, I think, was worth it. And before anyone asks, yes I can go back and add this in to my older releases where appropriate, and I do plan on doing that but it will be when I get time to do it. Another thing, the attack control seemed to stay fixed at 'very fast' no matter what I threw at the hardware. I couldn't see anything program dependent with it. So that's how these programs are too, except I added in the ability to have slower times set manually which I think opens up more possibilities.

I sampled the unit 4 different times for 4 different 'root' compressor effects (vector sample sets) and 4 more times without compression for pass-through programs. Each of those 4 comps has the main program that was adjusted to be as close to modelling the hardware as I could get with my ~3yrs experience doing this, and then 3 alternate versions that behave differently. I'm not having tons and tons of alts this time because I think it just clutters things up. So instead, I put more time into those 3 alts. They are more than just simply alts using different feedback/feedforward detection ratios and/or different detection modes. For example, alt1 uses a combination of an RMS envelope with full feedback detection, which typically won't allow a fast attack, with a peak feedforward detector, in a way such that the peak detector catches transients but then the RMS detector takes over for compression after that. So you get RMS feedback compression but with fast attacks. alt3 uses an average of two different detectors. So as you can see these are more thought out and unique.

You might notice that the price is higher this time around, but it's not really much if you consider that in the past my comp releases have been split into two parts, which together come to only just below the price of this one, which hasn't been split. Another thing is that with the new advances (proper prog dependent behavior) comes more investment of time. Also I think my prices have always been fairly low in general, and even with this release I think it's still competitive for what's here. Then there's the fact of what this set is 'based on'...

So check it out here!

Back