Maschine 2.0 - How to turn off a Sample Pad's "Aftertouch"

some1cool

Hey whats up, i have a question i hope someone can answer. after i sample.. in my case, a vocal/Verse .. & move the sample to a pad (other then pad #1).. How do you get the sound of the sample to STOP playing when you release the pad.??

right now, the sound shuts off by default on Pad #1, but when i put a sample on other pads & then either play that pad or click it.. when i move away from the pad, the audio keeps playing.

thats a problem when i have Verse of Lyrics (Vocals) that i only want to be active for a certain time period, & then want to change to something else without having both play at the same time..

& i don't think this is about "Keyboard" mode.. because that only lets you take the sound from ONE pad, & play is across the range of all 16 pads.. i want to be able to play whatever i have on EACH pad, but have the pads sound shut off after i release it (basically stop the pad from having an "after touch")

Last edited:
I am not familiar with Maschine, but it sounds like this could be solved by simply changing the envelope settings for each pad. If this is possible or not I have no idea but what you're going to want to do if it is, is remove the release portion of the envelope and only leave the desired attack, decay and sustain where you want it. In your case the sustain would be all the way up and no release.

Last edited:
Wallengard .. thanks for taking a stab at it .. But thats NOT the answer.. the issue is related to "Sampling".. not ADSR.

Last edited:
Wallengard .. thanks for taking a stab at it .. But thats NOT the answer.. the issue is related to "Sampling".. not ADSR.

The envelope dictates how the sound plays back, so it is part of the answer. It sounds like the pads default to the "one shot" mode, which doesn't really have an envelope - it just plays through the whole sample when triggered. Select one of the envelope modes instead & tweak them to play with little or no release, depending on how abruptly you want it to stop after you release the pad.

Btw, aftertouch has nothing to do with this - it's related to the pad pressure instead. Aftertouch allows you to control an extra parameter by applying more or less pressure while still holding a pad down...

edit/ I'm not a Maschine user either, although I've tried it. I was looking at the 1.5 version manual for the envelope stuff, so might be that there are some new options in 2.0.

Last edited:

You should be able to apply an envelope to any source or track. Whether it's sampled or synthesized doesn't matter. If there is no such option in Maschine I'd say there's something fundamentally wrong with it. I don't have access to any manual right now so Krushing or someone else with more experience may be more help with a more detailed solution.

@ Krushing.. Thanks man. its funny how fast you replied after i FOUND the real answer. lol
(i was actually trying to delete this post). but i'll put the answer here for those who have the same question in the future.

it is "ADSR" related.. BUT NOT in the same way that is usually handled in sound synthesis.
(where you are adjusting the Attack, Delay, Sustain & Release, when trying to modify a sound)

in Maschine: after you do a Sample, & want to edit how it plays
1st hit the pad where you have the sample assigned
& then you need to go to the "Pitch/Envelope" tab & change the "TYPE" to ADSR
by default is set to "One Shot" (where the sample keeps playing until finished)
But after you change it to ADSR the Pad will play ONLY when you hold it
(it will cut itself OFF after you release it)

BTW - when i said "Aftertouch" i was meaning that there is still sound being played after you release the key
like on a keyboard were there is "Aftertouch" applied

Take care.. Peace.. thanks for the info

Last edited:
BTW - when i said "Aftertouch" i was meaning that there is still sound being played after you release the key

I know what you meant, but aftertouch is a specific thing, filed under "keyboard expression". It's exactly what I said earlier (varying pressure on an already-held key/pad to control additional parameters), not something that happens when you release it.

Glad that you got the problem sorted out :)

I would still also like to add, that the envelope is the same. An ADSR does the same thing for a sample as it does for a synthesized sound. Saying several times that it's not, doesn't change that.

@ Krushing.. Thanks man. its funny how fast you replied after i FOUND the real answer. lol
(i was actually trying to delete this post). but i'll put the answer here for those who have the same question in the future.

it is "ADSR" related.. BUT NOT in the same way that is usually handled in sound synthesis.
(where you are adjusting the Attack, Delay, Sustain & Release, when trying to modify a sound)

in Maschine: after you do a Sample, & want to edit how it plays
1st hit the pad where you have the sample assigned
& then you need to go to the "Pitch/Envelope" tab & change the "TYPE" to ADSR
by default is set to "One Shot" (where the sample keeps playing until finished)
But after you change it to ADSR the Pad will play ONLY when you hold it
(it will cut itself OFF after you release it)

Take care.. Peace.. thanks for the info

thanks!

Back