Reason and Phase Inverting

admbmb

I've read a lot about issues with layering sounds, and a good technique is to "invert the phase" of one of the sounds if you get some phase cancellation. My question is does Reason has a capability to invert the phase of a sound (say on a ReDrum channel)?

I know you can just put a delay on one of the tracks and adjust the time so its milliseconds off, but thats not exactly doing the same thing.

It's been awhile since I last touched Reason, but I can't remember seeing a phase switch anywhere...and checking from the screenshots it seems to be that there isn't one. Bit of a hassle, but I reckon any audio editor can easily switch the phase.

Not at all. The phaser is an effect module, similar to a flanger. Flipping the phase is a completely different thing...sort of turning the waveform upside down.

wait I thought setting two similar/identical sounds in opposite phase to each other is what would create the phase cancellation?

It does. Which is why it's handy to have a phase switch if they happen to be in opposite phase in the first place.

This would be hard to do in Reason. Most DAWs and some VST plug-ins have this. Phasing is basically a small indetectable delay that subtracts from other wavefiles. Probably better to do this in another program.

Back