Reason 4 to Reason 5

Not trying to push anything down your throat and the fact it's a drumpad is neither here nor there - just saying that if you like the Kong Drum Library, Kong itself has greater editing/fx capabilities for samples than ReDrum - you can tweak and customise them a bit more before chucking them into your ReDrum. I've only ever used Reason so can't say whether it's better or worse than other software (and I don't really care either) - just seems that you would be able to do a little more with those samples is you used Kong. But each to their own - what works for you works for you, right?

^^^And you still missed the point, sorry if I sounded angry, far from it, everything was meant to be a humorous tone(easy to lose translation in type).

If I have been using ReDrum since 2004, what new functionality is there I haven't already learned to work around. Not to mention I can now do alot more editing in RedRum(Reverse, loop edit)due to the new "sampler" in it).

If I needed more editing/FX capabilities, i wouldn't be using a limited program like Reason. I use it in more advanced ways than most users who needed a module like Kong. I got my workaround for it's limitations that get's me a better sound out of Reason than i can get out of other programs with less limitations, so why f**k up my workflow?

I'm also interested to hear what Kong does that's so much 'better" than Redrum? It's all hype for what I do. I got Aux sends, Pitch/length/pan/vol control, Filters on certain channels, Decay and Gate control, Start Point control on certain channels, pitch bend on certain channels, and the ability to route each channel to it's own mixer channel if I need to(which I never use).

My drum sequences are based on multiple levels of velocity control(Kong doesn't have to mu knowledge, Redrum has 3, the Red, orange, Yellow, that can be adjusted for less/more separation)and intricate sequenced programming at anywhere between 1/16 to 1/64 counts. If you like to freehand, Kong may be your choice, I like mathematical control. The effects in Kong are superficial and stereotypical of what someone would expect a drum module to have. Nothing of any use to a trained engineer who's not buying into the hype of compressors snare cracklers and tape saturation. lol.

My snares have popped and bass has been thumping long before this piece of crap came into existstance.

Last edited:
Hey, no problem man - I didn't think you were getting angry.

All fair enough - I'm happy to tweak drums in Kong and use e.g. velocity controls in Redrum but it sounds like you've got your workflow set up just fine ;)

i personally wouldn't call kong a piece a crap maybe not your choice for laying out drums but i don't use a step step sequence and if i did i can just route the gate of the redrum into kong if need be. but to say its a piece of crap is a little absurd.

I'm confused to how musicians so easily fall for propaganda

software-wise...i did, w/ Record...
:cheers:

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

I do go into it's library to load .wav files from it, the sounds are worth using...IN REDRUM

yeah...that's prolly the way i'll use it after i upgrade from v. 4...

Record is so wack to me that it made SECOND GUESS even upgrading to v. 5...

record is dope as hell to me to each it own. but to say its so wack when its pretty much a overhaul of reason. is absurd.

^^^Because if Kong was such a selling point, I wouldn't have chose to use Reason over programs like Ableton Live, FL Studio, Cubase and vsti's like Guru, Battery, and Maschine. They all have had modules like Kong for years. I've had plenty of time to get over needing pads in my workflow. Maybe if I still used my MPC as a midi controller rather than this Keystation?

I'm confused to how musicians so easily fall for propaganda.

Drumatraxx, SliceX, FPC, Drumsynth, Fruity Kick Live have been in FL Studio for years. So the question I have for everyone trying to push Kong down folks throat is WHY AREN'T You USING FL? They have multiple drum modules with pads that statistically factually outperform the functionality of Kong.

Your answer would be, because you like "blah blah" in Reason. So maybe my "blah blah" I like in Reason simply doesn't involve using a drumpad.

Never used them in FL Either. I program drums using samples. Kong is inferior to ReDrum as is the NNXT and Dr. OctoRex for what I do. Everyone is entitled to their own workflow, so everything may be inferior to Kong for others, NNXT for others, and yeah, some people even use Rex loops for their Drums and Dr. Rex would work best for them.

There's nothing in Kong worth me chaining or even opening it. I do go into it's library to load .wav files from it, the sounds are worth using...IN REDRUM, lol. :cheers:
personal workflow is very important I agree. personally i like Kong because its super easy and fast to layer drum parts quickly. True I could use the NNXT but for me Kong is faster. I still use the NNXT for chopped samples most of the time

software-wise...i did, w/ Record...
:cheers:

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

yeah...that's prolly the way i'll use it after i upgrade from v. 4...

Record is so wack to me that it made SECOND GUESS even upgrading to v. 5...

It's wack if you're looking at it as a DAW. Of course it is. The Props are hoping that people will go along with their marketing nonsense and not call it a DAW and thereby, avoid the comparisons where Record would look very bad. If Record is indeed not a DAW, then you have nothing to compare it to and so...it wouldn't be wack LOL

It's wack if you're looking at it as a DAW. Of course it is. The Props are hoping that people will go along with their marketing nonsense and not call it a DAW and thereby, avoid the comparisons where Record would look very bad. If Record is indeed not a DAW, then you have nothing to compare it to and so...it wouldn't be wack LOL

that's wack...

not makin' it a "DAW" for the sole purpose of tryin' to downplay it's many weaknesses...all that hidden behind HYPE...

that's a bad look.

How do I copy redrum-pattern to a combinator without Reason creating a new channel?

hxxp://img840.imageshack.us/img840/9207/pattern1.jpg

I want the redrum pattern to be created inside the combinator (which is standard in 4.0)

Been out the loop for about 7 months. I get home and my chic has R5 waiting for me. I load up and see what it's about.
Better work flow seemingly.
And I do think I hear better sound quality. Kong either sounds more organic/warm/analouge than redru
or it's effects tied to it were set correctly for a "finished"sound. Or they put in better samples, not sure, but I liked what I heard.

This was from listening to the demo files. I have not composed a track myself yet. But I will soon.

Clarity wise, I think they fixed some stuff compared to R4. I've got both versions on 2 computers so going to bounce a wav of the dj babu demo and see which is better.

Back