Question for Reason heads

oxygenbeats

I have two questions regarding reason 5. The first is in the NN-XT, how do I load multiple samples to play them across the keyboard. For example I have 10 chops of a sample and I just want to line them up next to each to replay. All I can seem to do is load one of the chops and play that at different pitches. My next question is regarding kong and my midi controller. How do I set it up to choose which key on my midi controller is assigned to what pad on kong? The manual was not helpful on either of these issues, thanks for the help

Answer 1: I don't know, I don't trigger samples with the nn-xt, I use Dr.OctoRex. Here's a tutorial of my sampling process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1xuXj3GNXY

Answer 2: Trial and error. I just go through and play around with the Korg pads, and eventually you start to remember which pad is triggered by which controller key.

Hope this helps

I have two questions regarding reason 5. The first is in the NN-XT, how do I load multiple samples to play them across the keyboard. For example I have 10 chops of a sample and I just want to line them up next to each to replay. All I can seem to do is load one of the chops and play that at different pitches. My next question is regarding kong and my midi controller. How do I set it up to choose which key on my midi controller is assigned to what pad on kong? The manual was not helpful on either of these issues, thanks for the help

Everything you need to know is in the manual and starts on page 256. I could explain it all, but the manual does a much better job than I ever could here. Pay special attention the section "About Samples and Zones" which starts on page 260.

word, I have a bunch of questions as I actually do stuff on the the fly. Would anyone real nice on reason like to give me their ichat so I can just hit you with some questions. I will lace you with some samples, breaks, stuff you never heard before

go to the remote editor in the nnxt click browse sample select your samples your limited to 88 one shots. once loaded right click and automap zone chromatically and turn the release up on the top of nnxt to your desired liking and rockout.

that did not do anything. All I want to do is just play different chops, not the same chop at different pitches. ichat offer is still on the table I will seriously hook you up with dope shit if you help me out.

that did not do anything. All I want to do is just play different chops, not the same chop at different pitches. ichat offer is still on the table I will seriously hook you up with dope shit if you help me out.

You need to click the arrow on the bottom left of the NNXT and open up that section. Click the gray folder icon to the left of LOAD SAMPLE. Hold control and click on all the samples you want to open. After they're opened make sure they're all selected, if they aren't click on the vertical bar to the left of the sample names. After they're all selected right-click on one of the sample names and click on Automap Zones Chromatically.

Hook me up!

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

Oh wow was already explained mb

word thanks people, the help is much appreciated. I think my only problem with using the manual is my terminology, like I'll be calling something one thing and reason calls it another so I'm not sure what to look for in there. The question I have right now is how do I make the keys on my midi keyboard (oxygen8) full level? Right now they are pressure sensitive so however hard I hit it is hard the sample plays. How do I get it so no matter how hard/soft I hit it plays at full level? Thanks

What you refer to as "pressure sensitive" is called velocity. I know that the terminology can be confusing, but you have to learn it. If you really want to learn anything, you will have to adopt the nomenclature that it comes with.

Open the remote editor, then you need to "Select All Zones". Once you do, just make sure the "Level" knob under the "Velocity" tab on the right hand side is centered.

Last edited:
Is there a way to set it up so the whole sample plays when I hit the key and let it go. Right now the sample will only play as long as a I hold the key down. What advantages does Rex offer over NNXT? I like NNXT because I can do quick edits on my samples, can I do that in Dr Rex?

Back