Which program is better for beginners?

G

go0dfella

i think this may have been debated countless times but im not sure so forgive me if it has, but i now have FL7xxl full version , and after messing with this and messing with the demo of reason ive found reason to be a little bit easier....FL seems so damn complicated to comprehend for some reason, and im reading the fruity loops bible but it doesnt help me much lol. Which do you think is better off starting out if im a beginner?

I use FLStudio. I started on it, and i've been using it for years and years now, because with Rewire, vst support and all that, it's expandable, so it can grow as your production needs do. As for "beginner" programs, I wouldn't recommend anything low-grade. I would start on the program that suits you the best, regardless of it's skill level required. Every program takes time to learn, but when you learn one, you can generally figure out the rest.

the think to keep in mind is that programs aren't something that is really stratified by beginner/mid/advanced...these are all instruments. i'd suggest choosing one that has a lot of features and slowly learn the basics and then get into the more advanced stuff. aim high and your instrument will grow with you.

-Lodger

since u have FL7 u might as well stick with it if your happy with the program. but all production programs have the same potential, u just goota get the skills

Those two programs are exactly what I would recommend to someone brand new to this. Reason is definately a great introduction to the world of MIDI and programming synths/instruments/sampler/etc. All the fundamentals you learn from those two programs will help you if you decide to advance to the Pro Tools/Logic league.

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Master Fruityloops. Its an excellent starter. Read online about it study the program learn everything about it. Once you master it you will probably want to move on then move on to reason. MASTER reason aswell after mastering fruityloops. But my adivce dont waste money on anything right now just stick with FL7 and study it trust me... you will love it once you understand it</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I've never used Reason (yet), but have been using FL for a while. I really enjoy FL and feel it's fairly easy to learn. Just have to take the time to read read read, and watch tutorials. Seems like each tutorial I watch, I can incorporate something new and cool into the project.

yeah I started with fruity and was bangin out a few nice lil beat loops in minutes. then I tried Reason and got stuck and couldnt do nothin. (this was b4 I had a midi keyboard mind you) I actually bought a book for reason b4 I could sit down and get into it. I use both though.

I just got FL 8 and have been messing with it for the past few days and last night was pretty cool cause i learned how to use the patterns. I also have reason but it seems more complicated so I am going to wait for a little bit with reason.

I used FL back in the day, but never really got far with it...I spent too much time trying to figure out how to do things. When I started using Reason about a year ago everything just made so much more sense...So I think it is definitely a personal preference thing...download demos and use the program that makes the most sense to you.

reason taught me about all the basics of midi programming and effects and stuff like what attack, decay etc do and how to use effects such as reverb, compressors, eqs properly. but now i'm moving onto ableton as reason started to get a bit restricting.
just use whatever your most comfortable with, just because its not the 'industry standard' doesn't mean you can't make sick beats out of it

I used Fruity loops for years. I completed several wicked tracks on it that got into the hands of several top DJ's. They still get support to this day. Fruity loops is no less a professional tool than logic or pro tools if you learn how to use it. Hell, there is an incredible producer/remixer named James Holden who does all of his hit tunes on a free program called buzz machines. I read that he had other producers try to drop his files into pro tools to get more of a "pro" sound. they couldnt make any better than the original. in fact they made it worse.
I have moved to Ableton which seems to suit me best for my needs, but don't ever let anyone make you feel like you are unprofessional if you dont use logic/pro tools. They are great programs, but it all really comes down to the user.
Remember when they used to say that DJ's weren't artists? Then it was anyone who used CD's weren't real DJ's, then when CD's were accepted, anyone who used a laptop wasn't a "real" DJ. Some people fight new technology because of their own fear of change. They try to do the same with DAW programs. Intimidate you into thinking you need something that you don't.
Use whatever makes you feel more creative and stick with it. Eventually all the naysayers will be praising what you do.
best,
Jason

Last edited:
If you have to go with one or the other I would say go FL studio simply because you can add vst plug ins . Reason is stuck inside reason unless you rewire it to something (like FL) .
You can do anything you want with fl studio just take the time to learn it, once you have that down then you can decide if it is lacking features you may need.

If your main hurdle is stuff like... "I didnt know what to do so I got stuck and confused" then Ableton Live is the program for you. Reason is one of the harder types at first because its GUI makes things complicated to some. FL is also tricky because if you arent already in the complete recording mindset, its kind of confusing to structure stuff into songs. Live on the other hand is a program that is congruent with your instincts and it encourages you to sequence music.

i cant understand why people say live is so hard to learn...it was my first and i got it pretty quick....the tuturials and a few trips to the manual was all i needed to get going with the basics....all of the ins and outs come with time....but a friend has reason and cubase he doesnt have a clue how to do most things...lol.....he aint even know u could sequence in cubase....lol....he was using it as a track machine like protools...

I am an enormous Ableton fan myself after trying all of the others and my take is this. If Ableton is you first program, you should get it pretty quick. If you have been using other programs, you may need to take time to unlearn what you have learned before Ableton will start making sense. Once you are over that hurdle though, you most likely won't turn back.

Back