Pro Tools Volume Issue!!!

L

LAProDuctions

I have been using Pro-Tools for about 7 months now. Recently I started mixing down (bouncing) my finished tracks. I noticed that the volume of the bounced track is significantly lower than my other tracks(made with just FL).

I have tried a number of limiters and gates etc. and I still can't achieve the levels that I get comming straight out of FL(using the same exact plugins). I got Pro Tools so I can mix my FL made beats and make them sound better and more professional, but after importing them into Pro Tools they sound thinner, less life like, and distant.

Any advice??????????

sounds wierd... Is the meter the same? theres something in the settings that allows you to run a session at +6 DB rather than 0 DB. dont know if that helps. You may also want to look into "pre-fader metering" if youre judging it by the meter. prefader metering will show you the volume of the audio files before they go through the effects. other than that make sure you have it all turned up.

pt won't make it sound anymore professional. you'll have to familiarize yourself with pt to get the best out of it. including the settings and find out if the exact same settings in one app will be the same in another (no idea but i doubt it, this doesn't mean one will sound better or is better, just that there's a difference in how they handle an insert, but again i don't know and try not to get into those convo's as they get boring with all this null this, floating point that) and adjust accordingly

word of advice, i don't know the metering of fl but pt metering is inadequate and suspect, third party metering would serve you better, but that's in regard to metering. another thing, many, including myself, prefer to first render the mix within pt via aux/bus routing then export (i think shift control k, can't remember) due to the unreliable bouncing in pt (not much of an issue as previously) and to avoid a real time bounce.

7thangel said:
word of advice, i don't know the metering of fl but pt metering is inadequate and suspect, third party metering would serve you better, but that's in regard to metering. another thing, many, including myself, prefer to first render the mix within pt via aux/bus routing then export (i think shift control k, can't remember) due to the unreliable bouncing in pt (not much of an issue as previously) and to avoid a real time bounce.

Could you give a quick step by step on how to "render the mix via aux/bus routing...thnx

a couple of ways.

personal example kick, snare , hh output to bus 1-2 - aux track input bus 1-2 output to bus 15-16.

bass can go straight to buss 15-16 or bus 3 then bus 15-16.

my 2 buss input is 15-16 so everything is routed thru it.

in this scenario my reverb or delay aux may be bus 13-14 which i would have certain tracks i.e. snare with a pre bus send to 13-14 or maybe be a touch of my drum aux sent. i may have an upward comp aux that would also have it's input bus 1-2/output 15-16 as my squashed drums to play along the drum mix/aux.

regardless, my 2 bus output would be something like bus 17-18 then i would create another audio track (stereo) rec enable it with input from bus 17-18 output 1-2 (actually the first step if you quickly route everything in order to hear what you're doing with auto input monitoring enabled and for me, in quick punch mode)

once you have everything set and the rec buss/track isn't peaking and has some dynamics i render (after viewing certain things woth a 3rd party rta like inspector xl or paz)

you could skip a lot of steps and just set all tracks to a stereo bus output and set that bus number to the input of your stereo rec track, but i prefer this method for myself.

after that, checking and listening, i then pick the 2 track (highlighted) and shift control k (can't remember) to export instead of bounce. make sure it's stereo interleaved, still same bit and sample rate (24-44.1 for me) find a location and export. then use a different program to either limit to an extent and dither down to 16 bit

many have different ways. if i wanted to stem mix, i would have my drums aux routed to it's own rec stereo audio track, same with bass, keys, vox. all with their own rec bus and therefore no routing to a 2 bus. like i said this is the way i do it, others may do it differently

My best advice is to simply have a master fader in pro tools and just make sure you don't clip, but do push it

Back