Mpc's Magic...

ecsmix

I spoke with an Akai rep yesterday and he told that the quantization/swing on the mpc no software or hardware(like the mv-8000) has equal, it is a unique thing.
If everything is midi, why other companies copied this "mpc's swing" feel.
I already saw some mpc 3000 midi files with it's swing for Reason.
I was wondering why nobody ever tried something similar, to copy the mpc feel and make a software or something...or it is a legend and all the swing features on GURU,FRUITY,SHUFFLE FEATURE,and others are the same thing....or only the expensive mpc's like 4k and the 3k has that uncopied feature...

Think about it man you were talking to an Akai rep he'll tell you anyything he needs to in order to get your money.

You can do what you're writing about in Cubase. It's called "groove quantize" and you can create templates from wave files and midi files also I believe.

This "swing" is a myth started by old rap producers that don't understand thier own equipment...Akai has just started running with it because it was a trend "catch phrase" that has caught on over the years. There are so much quantizing out there on any nuber of hardware or software units that put the mpc's limited feature for quantize to shame.

That said, the "swing" quantization options that were limited but great that impressed me most was a Battery like program called DR-008 or something. I remember it because the quantization stood out to me when I was messing with the demo. But anything with a sequencer can "swing" if you want it too.

protools 6 tdm systems even have a function that lets you analze the groove and swing of audio material and extract the groove and make a template. you can then quantize your audio to this template. basically, you can take odd-grooved samples and make your beats swing just like them. pretty crazy!
http://maestrosoundmusic.com/

sleepy said:
You can do what you're writing about in Cubase. It's called "groove quantize" and you can create templates from wave files and midi files also I believe.
wb Fruity loops?

That Akai rep was either uninformed or a liar. Many programs have a groove quantize function that has mpc style groove quantize. I use pro tools frequently and it has mpc style quantizing.

Software gives you the most power when it comes to almost all of the tasks hardware can do if you have the right tools. Quantizing is definately customizable to the MPCs if you want it to be.

frankiebizallsss said:

I hope you are joking.
i don't think u get what i meant...i meant the quantize value is the same on every machine that has it.

no some things are limited in others and some offer more or go more into it then others. Cubase gives u WAY more options then reason. REason gives u more options then FL. In reason u can use a USER feature that copys a grove in a rexfile so say u wanted that still dre swing. throw a loop in recycle and do some chopin and throw it in reason and BAM dres knockin at ur door telling u to stop lol. some other programs that where mentiond have this too. its diff for every program.

Dj Scissorhandz said:

i don't think u get what i meant...i meant the quantize value is the same on every machine that has it.

well yes and no. If you are talking about default quantize values ok. But tons of programs have there own groove quantize styles and quantize emulations of hardware such as the mpc.

so about this groove quantizing in Cubase?? where would i find this function?? Can any1 explain plz??

Trusty said:
This "swing" is a myth started by old rap producers that don't understand thier own equipment...Akai has just started running with it because it was a trend "catch phrase" that has caught on over the years. There are so much quantizing out there on any nuber of hardware or software units that put the mpc's limited feature for quantize to shame.

That said, the "swing" quantization options that were limited but great that impressed me most was a Battery like program called DR-008 or something. I remember it because the quantization stood out to me when I was messing with the demo. But anything with a sequencer can "swing" if you want it too.

thanks for that, people should know.

_sHINe__ said:
so about this groove quantizing in Cubase?? where would i find this function?? Can any1 explain plz??

Right click on any audio file that you want to create a template from. Choose hitpoints from the pop up menu, then you can create a groove quantize template from hitpoints. Obviously, you need to set hitpoints before that.

The new ReGroove Mixer in Reason 4.0 is a pretty cool addition to Reason. It allows you to set each track to it's own groove. Every instrument can have its own unique swing and timing, making all sorts of crazy grooves possible, including MPC style ones.

Originally posted by Trusty
This "swing" is a myth started by old rap producers that don't understand thier own equipment...

thanks for that, people should know.

People should know what? More incorrect information from Trusty?
Hmmm...

Back