How to record scratches in FL?

mark1234

I want to make scratch hooks like DJ Premier.
How do you do this in FL to get the scratches on-beat?

Do i need a software like Serato? can it be Serato/Traktor be used in FL Studio like a VSTi or something?

I would appreciate somebody explaining.

you need a turntable for the most realistic scratches. You'd then need some software to sample from the turntable, put some vinyl on and scratch, make sure its recording. This is the most authentic way. You could use Serato/traktor etc, but they are not 'real' scratches so to say. Or you could just get loops.

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

oh, and no, traktor/serato can not be used as a vst from what i am aware.

Thanks, but are scratches usually recorded live?
Or are scratches recorded as a 'Live' Audio track?

How does say like DJ Premier do this?
He usually picks vocals from different songs.

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

i used to sample my scratches and chop it up but that isn't really a good way to me.

i'm not aware of how DJ Premier would do it, but i'd say they are recorded onto an audio track, which means you need to know how to scratch as well as having the hardware/software to do it.

If you have a turntable...plug it in to the computer or interface...and you should be able to choose the turntable as an input device on whatever mixer channel you have armed for recording....press record, hit play...scratch away...and your scratches should become a wav form in the playlist..

If you dont have a turntable...I suggest using Wavetraveller over the FL Scratcher.. I know NFX from warbeats has a nice tutorial on Wavetraveller...There are others, I'm sure. check it out YouTube - FL Studio - Wave Traveller to make DJ Scratching - Warbeats Tutorial

Keep in mind FL Scratcher and another plugin you can get a scratch effect with, Gross Beat, are effects to be loaded in the mixer channel of what you want to scratch.

Wavetraveller is a Generator...so you will have to load an instance of it into your sequencer..you kno, where your drum samples and everything is.

Last edited:
Back