Cubase, Logic, or Sonar

J

J-squared

I'm looking for opinions on which sequencing software to go with; Cubase, Logic or Sonar. I'll be working with audio and midi. Any opinions would be much appreciated. (preferebly with your reason(s), not just which is your favorite please!)

Try them all.

If you love VST instruments, then go for either Cubase or Logic (Sonar is DXi I think which is not bad but VST instr. dont run natively).

I've heard great stuff about both Cubase and Logic. I use Cubase myself but I am sure Logic Audio Platinum is excellent too.. After all its very expensive :)

ManoOne said:
I am sure Logic Audio Platinum is excellent too.. After all its very expensive :)
Mano you have a real fetish for spending money on gear don't you? Anyway back to topic:) I use Cubase as well and think that it has certain problems. The automation for the audio mixer .... well it could be better IMO. That said it is possible to do everything you want in Cubase, just sometimes it's harder than it should be. It's also very well supporte for VSTi's and fx. I believe that Logic is considered stronger in the area of automation, but it is renowned for being difficult to learn because of the sheer level of control that you have. I've never used or even seen Sonar so I can't judge that.

KasioRoks

As a Logic user I would agree with the above...the learning curve is pretty steep. Still....there is a wealth of resource out there to make learning easier so I wouldn't be put off by this.

In fact, the sense of achievment once you've gained something out of Logic makes up for the learning difficulties.

I for one had no previous experience with sequencing at all until I bought LA Silver....now THATS a learning curve!!!

After 1 year I can honestly say that Ive learnt enough about the program to be addicted for life and now dont even consider working with anything else (this isn't to say that other programs are not of equal quality...i just dont want to get confused!!)

There is a pretty decent demo available for download from www.emagic.de anyway that should give you a better picture

Adam:D

I would say go with whatever one seems most appealing to you........I've only used Logic and I love it but as stated, it has quite a learning curve.........from what I hear, it is the most "professional" soft sequencer piece.......however, Cubase is very popular as well and has won awards so I would deduce it is a wonderful piece as well......I'm sure it will have a learning curve on that too......I've also heard of people switching from LA or CB to Sonar and love it......I believe it is easier to use but may lack a lot of the advanced features of the other two......it all depends on what you want to get out of it........

I suggest just going with the one that sounds best for you and growing with it........if you become a pro at any of them it is much better than being an intermediate user at all of them........pick one and master it, you will get great results cause they're all good pieces of software.:)

I've been doing a lot of research and I think I'm just going to choose Logic and go with it. I've done a fair bit of sequencing before in Cakewalk but I like to tinker and learn and I think that Logic sounds like it has more depth than the others. I look forward to that "steep learning curve". Thanks for your time.

yea, logic is one helluva program. once you produce something with it, you can't go back.(although occasionally i do have a cubase/fruityloops3 binge) the only thing more addicting and that can keep you up until 5 in the morning is crack cocaine, so it's wery well worth the money. hope you enjoy it.!
peace
dek:star

Sonar

Since no one had any comments about sonar, I thought I would post one.

Sonar is by far the easiest to use. It also has the worst latency and audio routing capabilities. BUT, if you want to pick something up fast and don't need a whole truck load of features, it's your best bet for the money.

Did I mention I was arranging both audio and midi in 20 minutes??

cheers!

:cheers:
chris

I'm thinking of getting logic too soon, but because i'm still pretty new to producing i thought it might be a good idea to get micrologic 1) becuase it will hopefully be less confusing and 2) because my pc should be able to cope with it a little easier...

i'm a bit worried that it might leave out important features i will need though e.g although acid is quite lame it has that feature of automatically setting all sound samples in the arrange window to the same bpm which you decide.. does logic do this?does anybody else have micrologic or know much about it?
would it be better to get silver maybe?

no....Logic doesn't work in quite the same way as Acid when it comes bpm's and samples/audio files.

MicroLogic is ok but if you may feel that once your learning progresses there may be certain features of the program not available to you. I bought LASilver as my first choice and its more than adequate for what I need at this moment in time.

I suppose its all down what you want to get out of the program and what scope you are gonna use it for in terms of music production.

In my opinion, Silver is a good start for anyone who is serious about wanting to produce music and knows that they will have the dedication and be prepared to take the time to get somewhere with it.

phaez said:
i'm a bit worried that it might leave out important features i will need though e.g although acid is quite lame it has that feature of automatically setting all sound samples in the arrange window to the same bpm which you decide.. does logic do this?does anybody else have micrologic or know much about it?
would it be better to get silver maybe?

If you need the beatmatching capabilities of Acid, then Sonar should be the way to go.

i don't really "need them" but when your bringing heaps of different sapmles into the proggie to try out and their all different bpm's it's just nice to have that feature instead of manually adjusting every bpm, it saves time... is that how it works in logic.. do you have go into the properties or something of every sample and adjust the bpm so they all match?

i might just stick with smelly old acid and FL3 for a while until i upgrade or get a new computer! when i get logic it will be LASilver:)

i realise cubase and logic are both great but i'm curious which one is favoured by dance music producers?

phaez said:
i don't really "need them" but when your bringing heaps of different sapmles into the proggie to try out and their all different bpm's it's just nice to have that feature instead of manually adjusting every bpm, it saves time... is that how it works in logic.. do you have go into the properties or something of every sample and adjust the bpm so they all match?

i might just stick with smelly old acid and FL3 for a while until i upgrade or get a new computer! when i get logic it will be LASilver:)

Logic does not timestretch the samples to fit the beat at all. You'll have to do that in a separate audio-program, like Acid or Time Factory. (I use Logic myself, but all my looping is done in MIDI, and therefore this isn't a problem for me.) Sonar is the only sequenser I know of that has both good MIDI, software instrument capability and the ability to let you drag and drop audioloops to fit into your song with correct bpm.

phaez said:
i realise cubase and logic are both great but i'm curious which one is favoured by dance music producers?

The articles in magazines like Future Music and Computer Music that I've read, leads me to believe that Logic is by far the most used program among the professional producers, alongside ProTools. The control is great, and some even use Logic to control ProTools.

The learning curve is steep, though, and Cubase and Sonar is quicker to produce results for amateurs, and therefore they're often favored among the non-professionals (the price is also better).

Logic doesn't timestretch?

Logic does do this but not automatically, its a pretty simple operation using the Sample Editor "Factory" (or something like that) menu where its a matter of inputting the correct data from the Tempo List Editor to match the sample being stretched to the song its being used in.

A different operation to other programs but the facility is there, however it is destructive to the sample.

Re: Logic doesn't timestretch?

Adam said:
Logic does do this but not automatically, its a pretty simple operation using the Sample Editor "Factory" (or something like that) menu where its a matter of inputting the correct data from the Tempo List Editor to match the sample being stretched to the song its being used in.

A different operation to other programs but the facility is there, however it is destructive to the sample.

OK, this only goes to show what a "deep" program Logic is. ;) I wasn't aware of this feature. It is far from what you get with Acid and Sonar, though, and the nonedestructiveness and ease of use is still an argument. Is the timestretching of any good quality?

Yeah...the quality is good from the experience I've had with it although it can be a little unnerving knowing that you could be about to mess up a good sample for good!!

Also, its great for making some weird and wonderful sounds out of vocal samples...good fun but it does pay to know exactly how it works before you go tearing in!

Adam

dont be a fool, logic is pro to the max. seriously man it is an amazing program and nothing even compares to its awesomeness. plus its mac, mac programs are reliable as hell

off topic, but man I LOVE MAC, best thing i ever did was switch from the pc format. I'm on cubase right now, which is great, but i will be picking up Logic in the next couple months.

Back