Cubase 6

You know, I would love to update to Cubase 6. But this is the 3rd major rev release in like 4 years. First Cubase 4 dropped in like 07, then Cubase 5 in late 08, now we're getting Cubase 6 in 11.

That's a bad sign. More than likely means that the previous versions were crap and they knew it, and they had so many bugs to fix, that the next release had to be a major revision.

I'm still having issues from when I went to cubase sx 3 (rock solid) to cubase 5. All my midi notes come in about 1/32 EARLY. No matter what I do...system time stamp doesn't work, none of that stuff works.

Steinberg hasn't been able to help me. Cubase forums haven't been able to help me. Not anybody.

For all the cool features that they have and I love, if they can't fix this basic issue for me, I'm gonna dump it for Pro Tools.

I had a similar issue...sucks that you cant resolve it.

Have you tried the "ignoreportfilter" fix in conjunction with the SystemTime stamp?

See this thread https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=48830093

Last edited by a moderator:
I had that same problem with the midi coming in too early. The trick where you move the files outside of a folder and get the emulated midi ports. Steinberg tech support helped me with that so I guess that's already been done in this case. It worked for me, but frankly, I've always felt that different sequencers were slightly different where midi timing is concerned. Cubase has never been the best to me when I play without quantizing during recording. Logic, Live, and Reason always felt good to me. But Cubase is still my favorite because it does most other things the way I like.

I am actually kind of interested in Cubase 6. I wonder how much its improved over the years. Did they ever add a patterns sequencer mode to Cubase? I am addicted to blocks in Reason but I would also like to bring in my hardware and sequence more freely. How is Cubase on Cpu? Im buying a new pc before I get Cubase 6 if I get it but it would be good to know what I am jumping into.

I am actually kind of interested in Cubase 6. I wonder how much its improved over the years. Did they ever add a patterns sequencer mode to Cubase? I am addicted to blocks in Reason but I would also like to bring in my hardware and sequence more freely. How is Cubase on Cpu? Im buying a new pc before I get Cubase 6 if I get it but it would be good to know what I am jumping into.

Cubase doesn't have pattern sequencing like Sonar or FL Studio. What it does have is a pattern system that lets you make multiple variations on your arrangement. It's set up like pattern blocks with blocks with letters. You draw a block over a section music. That block will be A or something like that. You draw sections whatever size and wherever. Then you decide, A will play first, and repeat twice. Then section C plays next, then F, then E plays 3 times. So you make a new arrangement in a pattern like fashion. You can make as many of these as you want without touching your original arrangement. And you can "flatten" it to one of the new arrangements if you want to.

As for CPU, Cubase has never been known to be easy on resources. I always complained about how long it takes to get it open. Once it's open it runs and operates quickly like a sports car, but it takes a long time to open. And sometimes a long time to close. With each version of Cubase, it gets more features which require more ram, etc. So I would say it's not easy on Resources. In my experience though, it seemed to be better than Sonar while Logic is especially good on resources.

You know, I would love to update to Cubase 6. But this is the 3rd major rev release in like 4 years. First Cubase 4 dropped in like 07, then Cubase 5 in late 08, now we're getting Cubase 6 in 11.

That's a bad sign. More than likely means that the previous versions were crap and they knew it, and they had so many bugs to fix, that the next release had to be a major revision.

I'm still having issues from when I went to cubase sx 3 (rock solid) to cubase 5. All my midi notes come in about 1/32 EARLY. No matter what I do...system time stamp doesn't work, none of that stuff works.

Steinberg hasn't been able to help me. Cubase forums haven't been able to help me. Not anybody.

For all the cool features that they have and I love, if they can't fix this basic issue for me, I'm gonna dump it for Pro Tools.

Ya know..the grass isnt always greener on the other side...at Pro Tools 8 i thought it would be the "all in one solution". Im a Cubase user but all the rave about Pro tools 8 midi improvements are up to par with Cubase & Logic had got me interested. Man was the forums Misleading!! Pro Tools 8 is STILL mainly a AUDIO recorder / editing/ Mixer Platform...if you dealing with MIDI and Virtual instruments in the majority of your set up...you will see Pro tools still isnt there yet...not compared to cubase & logic. I dont know...it just seems like when im producing in cubase (keep in mind i deal with 90% VSts...10% real musician recordings) the whole process seems intuitive...but creating that same track in Pro tools seems like a technical task..:(. Maybe ur experience will be different...

Last edited:
The grass is greener in patches. Every program has something which it either does better than the rest, or is the only one to do it at all. But when you switch, you find all sorts of things that you miss from another program. So for me Cubase has the most of what I want, how I want it. I don't want to even look at any other sequencers. I hate wishing that I had access to some feature in some other program I was using. That's what happens when you know and use too many programs.

The grass is greener in patches. Every program has something which it either does better than the rest, or is the only one to do it at all. But when you switch, you find all sorts of things that you miss from another program. So for me Cubase has the most of what I want, how I want it. I don't want to even look at any other sequencers. I hate wishing that I had access to some feature in some other program I was using. That's what happens when you know and use too many programs.

yeah..amen too that...looking at different forums...it seems like we all tend to get toooo into the software and the different bells, features and whistles and minor crap. Honestly at the end of the day it suppose to be about music & creative ideas....thats king. All these different DAWS just facilitate creative ideas...Demo a few of them...gravitate towards one...and get to creating music...point blank

Last edited:
yeah..amen too that...looking at different forums...it seems like we all tend to get toooo into the software and the different bells, features and whistles and minor crap. Honestly at the end of the day it suppose to be about music & creative ideas....thats king. All these different DAWS just facilitate creative ideas...Demo a few of them...gravitate towards one...and get to creating music...point blank

LOL. If only it hadn't taken me nearly a decade to figure that nice piece of wisdom out. I'm thinking very differently than I was in the past. I'm trying to just say no to time stretching and other things that cause me to wrestle with quality issues. I'm looking to work with quality, through and through. That means I could probably just throw away 80% of the stuff sitting on my hard drives. A billion less than great quality samples, both downloaded from the net and purchased. I'm looking to simplify. To tell the truth, I would like to treat Cubase like Reason. As if it were self contained. I don't think I can do it right now because Steinberg haven't produced enough quality instruments, but as soon as they created VST Expressions, I thought they were probably going to begin making super quality instruments to take advantage of it. I don't think Halion Sonic quite fits that bill but I upgraded to it anyway. When Halion 4 comes out, it might be the first super high quality package from Steinberg that can compete with the very best 3rd party virtual instruments. I hope so. I have a license for Halion 3 which I can upgrade. We'll see. In the meantime, it's good to have some better and narrower focus.

amen to that. And I think a lot of people do so anyway. Then we argue and say the one we love is the best lol

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

LOL. If only it hadn't taken me nearly a decade to figure that nice piece of wisdom out. I'm thinking very differently than I was in the past. I'm trying to just say no to time stretching and other things that cause me to wrestle with quality issues. I'm looking to work with quality, through and through. That means I could probably just throw away 80% of the stuff sitting on my hard drives. A billion less than great quality samples, both downloaded from the net and purchased. I'm looking to simplify. To tell the truth, I would like to treat Cubase like Reason. As if it were self contained. I don't think I can do it right now because Steinberg haven't produced enough quality instruments, but as soon as they created VST Expressions, I thought they were probably going to begin making super quality instruments to take advantage of it. I don't think Halion Sonic quite fits that bill but I upgraded to it anyway. When Halion 4 comes out, it might be the first super high quality package from Steinberg that can compete with the very best 3rd party virtual instruments. I hope so. I have a license for Halion 3 which I can upgrade. We'll see. In the meantime, it's good to have some better and narrower focus.
I think a lot of companies are headed in that direction. With all of the stuff included in most DAWs there isn't much need to venture outside of what you already have imo. In 2015 I think DAWs will be judged not by features but by the sounds that come with them.

Don't dump it for Poo Tools, at least move over to Reaper or Sonar. You have a chance to move to something better, learning curve will hurt though :/.

So I'm guess the best idea for me is to stick with fruity loops. I kinda am still leaning toward Cubase as my new DAW.

So I'm guess the best idea for me is to stick with fruity loops. I kinda am still leaning toward Cubase as my new DAW.

If you are used to Fruity Loops I suggest sticking with it. When you learn a little more about the engineering side you could always run FL from inside Cubase and just use Cubase for mixing. My opinion is that FL isn't as strong when it comes to mixing where as you could quite easily export all of your tracks as audio and then play with them in Cubase.

I've been using Cubase 6 for a little while now. They've really refined the interface and added so many little features. It's very nice. One big difference I noticed is the quality of the timestretching. I was actually kind of shocked at how good it is. I've done a little experimentation with drum replacement. It works, but it's a little time consuming since you have to do each sound, one by one. Like, all the snares as midi to a track, then go back and do all the kicks, then back for all the hats, etc. And it seems that the slicing is best done manually because if you don't, it grabs other sounds besides the ones you want. But the slicing interface has also been updated and works well. I've crashed twice in a very short time so I have to say that it seems to be unstable at this point. I wasn't doing anything in particular and I haven't used any plugin besides Steinberg's own Halion Sonic. Halion Sonic is nice, but far from what I was hoping for. But yeah Cubase is extremely refined now. Media Bay is excellent in function and it finds what you search for instantly. I've been busy lately so I haven't had enough time to do anything serious and it's driving me crazy.

I've been using Cubase 6 for a little while now. They've really refined the interface and added so many little features. It's very nice. One big difference I noticed is the quality of the timestretching. I was actually kind of shocked at how good it is. I've done a little experimentation with drum replacement. It works, but it's a little time consuming since you have to do each sound, one by one. Like, all the snares as midi to a track, then go back and do all the kicks, then back for all the hats, etc. And it seems that the slicing is best done manually because if you don't, it grabs other sounds besides the ones you want. But the slicing interface has also been updated and works well. I've crashed twice in a very short time so I have to say that it seems to be unstable at this point. I wasn't doing anything in particular and I haven't used any plugin besides Steinberg's own Halion Sonic. Halion Sonic is nice, but far from what I was hoping for. But yeah Cubase is extremely refined now. Media Bay is excellent in function and it finds what you search for instantly. I've been busy lately so I haven't had enough time to do anything serious and it's driving me crazy.

I seen Canei's ustream where he chopped a sample by tapping a random key on the QWERTY as it played and chopped the sample to the tempo of the song. . .is that possible in cubase?

Well, yes because you can assign the "slit at cursor" tool to a key and press that key as the cursor goes across the screen which will make slices every time you press the key. But Cubase is not really designed with that method of slicing in mind. It doesn't snap to grid so if you're timing is off you get poorly chopped slices. Cubase has a dedicated slicing environment which is excellent for slicing samples. Double click a sample in the sequencer, it launches the sample in the slicer. Auto slice it there and press a key command and your sample will be sliced back in the sequencer. There's a lot of cool stuff you can do in the beatslicer in Cubase.

I think...I'm updating as we speak. LOL I promised myself that I would stop updating every single cycle so I skipped Cubase 5 even though it was an incredible release. But now I'm updating for certain. The funny thing is, this update is cheaper than the update to 5! I expected it to be the same price, but not cheaper. So I'm updating my Hypersonic 2 to Halion Sonic and Cubase 4 to 6.

The update looks amazing as usual. What Steinberg are doing with VST Expressions is on a whole new level from what anyone else is doing. That is really the biggest draw for me. I'm looking for ways to achieve more expressive and realistic sounds short of having real musicians in my bedroom.

Hey LA Stone,

Let me know what you think of Halion Sonic? Actually, how you like working with Halion now? I heard its got some really nice sounds? I had a Motif XS6 and sold it because I just had too much gear and not enough room but I miss some of those sounds and I have heard that the same sound designers worked on the Halion stuff? IMO, there are just some sounds that Yamaha/Steinberg nails!

What you think?

ONE

Well, yes because you can assign the "slit at cursor" tool to a key and press that key as the cursor goes across the screen which will make slices every time you press the key. But Cubase is not really designed with that method of slicing in mind. It doesn't snap to grid so if you're timing is off you get poorly chopped slices. Cubase has a dedicated slicing environment which is excellent for slicing samples. Double click a sample in the sequencer, it launches the sample in the slicer. Auto slice it there and press a key command and your sample will be sliced back in the sequencer. There's a lot of cool stuff you can do in the beatslicer in Cubase.

I use both methods. The beatslicer is too sensitive sometimes.
In fact disabling the Snap to grid is the way to go when using the "X at cursor" method.

KC you finally ran outta space? it was bound to happen lol

Yeah I have a little space and my ish was just way too cramped. Could barely get two people in there! Lol! I have gotten much better though, getting rid or not buying the ish I don't need. Took me a while, but I learned! LOL.

ONE

Back