Ableton Live vs Cubase

Smithgrind137

SATbeats.com
I have been looking purchasing a new program that I can use with reason 4 and I have narrowed it down to Live and Cubase. I have heard pros and cons for both, but I am really not sure which to choose. I am hoping that someone will clear up some of these questions. First off, I have heard cubase does not work well with macs, is this true? second, I have heard that cubase works better with rewire since steinberg and proppellerheads worked together when designing rewire.

I make beats right now but I am also looking to start editing and recording vocals (not mine).

So if you guys could just push me in a direction that would be great.

Well, I'd say both of those "rumours" are wrong. Cubase works just fine on Macs afaik, and the Live/Reason ReWire implementation has always been the best there is.

There's no demo of Cubase, but Live does have the fully functional 14-day trial. I'd recommend testing the sh*t out of it and then making your decision.

hello!
for me ableton is really better and easy to use, i use reason since the first version and i used cubase too but since i discover ableton my life has changed ;-). really!! in my setup i work always with ableton live and reason togheter. Ableton is ****in really easy to record, to rewire and especially to arrange, just a problem with Live is the mixing session. Cubase is better for that, more powerful with the sound engine.
But with Live you can export all the track in a wave format just in with one mouse click. So for finish Ableton Live is really great for creation and arrangement but you must work with another software for sound edition, mixing session and mastering.

loopaland said:
hello!
for me ableton is really better and easy to use, i use reason since the first version and i used cubase too but since i discover ableton my life has changed ;-). really!! in my setup i work always with ableton live and reason togheter. Ableton is ****in really easy to record, to rewire and especially to arrange, just a problem with Live is the mixing session. Cubase is better for that, more powerful with the sound engine.
But with Live you can export all the track in a wave format just in with one mouse click. So for finish Ableton Live is really great for creation and arrangement but you must work with another software for sound edition, mixing session and mastering.

I think Live is underrated as a mixing environment. Live 7 has a great sound engine and I churned out some great full sounding mixes using Live.

I think Cubase and other programs such as Sonar, Logic has the edge when it comes to deep editing functions midi and audio.

For me, i would say Live all the way!! i have worked on Cubase before, on Mac n PC, I have seen little performance diff. But ya, the editing and mixing I am not to happy about it in live but its workable. just takes some getting used to i guess..

i love editing in Protools tho. its simple and works.

Do you work with loops a lot? if so, Live is the way to go..

too_late

Smithgrind137 said:
I have been looking purchasing a new program that I can use with reason 4 and I have narrowed it down to Live and Cubase. I have heard pros and cons for both, but I am really not sure which to choose. I am hoping that someone will clear up some of these questions. First off, I have heard cubase does not work well with macs, is this true? second, I have heard that cubase works better with rewire since steinberg and proppellerheads worked together when designing rewire.

I make beats right now but I am also looking to start editing and recording vocals (not mine).

btw, Reason and Live works well together. They both will have things the other don't.

Live obviously has VSTs and audio recording but it also has a better sample manipulation environment and realtime arrangement environment.

Reason will have a much wider range of sounds to choose from than Live comes with (esp if you don't buy the suite. Live barebones hardly comes with any sounds). Reason also has the drum machines, and step sequencers. Another advantage of Reason is that it has waay better Groove Quantizing options than Live. Live's Groove function is very basic.

since you mention Reason, i'd highly suggest you give Live a good go! download the demo and get busy. it's gonna be diff at first, but once you get to know it, you'll be glad you did. trust us on this, Live is the perfect compliment to Reason. take it from those who know, and i know.
LevLove

I have Cubase AI4 and Live Lite. I prefer cubase...I learned on Cubase and I can get around in live, but prefer the cubase flow.

youngjboy said:
I have Cubase AI4 and Live Lite. I prefer cubase...I learned on Cubase and I can get around in live, but prefer the cubase flow.
thats because cubase has a more traditional linear workflow, where as Live is different, plain and simple. Live takes some getting used to because it is not the norm, which is it's high point. it's arrangement view is more traditional with it's linear workflow. so you can both in Live, but i like to create in session view and sequence my session live into the arrangement view, like you would in the mpc. if your coming from a hardware perspective, Live would be more comfortable to some because the workflow will be more familiar.
LevLove

I'm not even sure why there are other DAW's other than LIVE 7...

I'm really just not sure...

I don't know enough about Cubase to criticize or compare it, but I can highly recommend Live.

I am also a Sonar user, but since Live 7, I haven't done anything in Sonar. I go from start to finish in Live.

Smithgrind137 said:

I've never had good results with Cubase and my Macs. Cubase works brilliantly with PCs though. Fast and super advanced.

Cubase is the best rewire host I've ever used for the simple reason that it has the tiniest setup. So tiny that it's strange to call it a "set up". I can explain it to you "accurately" in 2.5 steps.

1. Assuming that you've opened Cubase, then opened Reason and have some Reason instruments routed to the hardware output on the Reason side...In Cubase go to Devices/Reason Rewire. A Box will pop up with 64 buttons labeled "Mix L Mix R(the fist output from Reason is a stereo out), Channel 3, Channel 4, Channel 5, etc. Click the buttons to "enable" these channels. When you do this, Cubase automatically creates special rewire color coded mixer channels so that they won't be confused with every other type of mixer channel. Other hosts cant color code, and can't automatically create the mixer channels. So far, all you've done is click a few buttons.

2. Create a midi track. This can be done in Cubase without even using a mouse! Just a key command.

2.5 Simply go to the output of the midi track and you'll see every single thing that can be routed to this midi track including every single Reason device! That's why I call this step 2.5. It's not even a step. You're already done with Rewire set up in Cubase. Now compare this to Ableton Live, Logic, FL Studio, and everything else.

You know what else is missing here. Ports! While all the rest "bother" you with port 6, port 7, port 8 and so on, Cubase just hides all that from you. This is a source of endless confusion for FL users wondering why they can't see all their Reason instruments from the FL side. Cubase understands this mess and just gives you what you want. Instruments, all of them at once. No ports. I don't think anything can be simpler than this.

Live ranks for me among the worst because in Live everything looks precisely the same. an audio track looks exactly like a midi track looks like a instrument track looks like a rewire track. How do you tell them from each other. By luck or a lot of scrutiny. In Cubase every single track type is a different color. Simple and smart.

Live does have some particular advantage regarding mono vs stereo channels that are not supported well in Cubase. Apparently, Cubase had this right at one point, then broke it in an updated release and at this point, I'm not sure if they sorted it back out or not, but my comments are mostly about ease of use and Cubase has no equal in this regard. No other host has rewire this simple. People love to say how Reason and Live are so great together and it makes no sense because Live's rewire is a mess and it doesn't matter what you're rewiring into Live. Similarly, Cubase's rewire is brilliantly simple and it doesn't matter what you're rewiring into Cubase.

Lastly, if you're talking about dealing with Vocals, then of course you're gonna do better with any traditional sequencer than Live. Another point worth mentioning is that Cubase's new Media Bay truly turns the page on dealing with samples and media management. Live really should be a leader in this, but Cubase's mediabay is on the next level. Forget midi or audio recording in general. Live doesn't compete against Cubase here either. Live's midi is not all there yet and it doesn't look like it's gonna get there. Cubase's midi and audio are mature and powerful.

Actually, I have a copy of Live 6 collecting dust that I've been trying to sell. Nobody wants to buy it.

L. A. Stone said:
People love to say how Reason and Live are so great together and it makes no sense because Live's rewire is a mess and it doesn't matter what you're rewiring into Live. Similarly, Cubase's rewire is brilliantly simple and it doesn't matter what you're rewiring into Cubase.

I just want to know how it's a mess? You create an audio track, and select the rewire inputs in the dropdown box. How is that complicated?

biggrome said:
I'm not even sure why there are other DAW's other than LIVE 7...

I'm really just not sure...

Lol. And to the original poster, if you're thinking of going Cubase, just get the much cheaper Cubase LE. I don't know what you can possibly need more for home recording than what Cubase Le has to offer. I think Cubase Sx, etc. is just a luxury. :victory:

But Live's the sh*t.

Cubase LE is enough for me. I got Cubase AI4 because I bought a motif xs6 and it was bundled with it, but sometimes I almost rather use my LE version because it is easier to get around in. By contrast, the lite version of Live is garbage. You can actually easisly get by on the free LE versions of Cubase and Sonar that come bundled with soundcards, interfaces, etc, but the free Live Lite....meh..that joint is trash. You can only use one set of inputs at a time, restrictions on track counts, etc.....trash.

L. A. Stone said:
I've never had good results with Cubase and my Macs. Cubase works brilliantly with PCs though. Fast and super advanced.

Cubase is the best rewire host I've ever used for the simple reason that it has the tiniest setup. So tiny that it's strange to call it a "set up". I can explain it to you "accurately" in 2.5 steps.

1. Assuming that you've opened Cubase, then opened Reason and have some Reason instruments routed to the hardware output on the Reason side...In Cubase go to Devices/Reason Rewire. A Box will pop up with 64 buttons labeled "Mix L Mix R(the fist output from Reason is a stereo out), Channel 3, Channel 4, Channel 5, etc. Click the buttons to "enable" these channels. When you do this, Cubase automatically creates special rewire color coded mixer channels so that they won't be confused with every other type of mixer channel. Other hosts cant color code, and can't automatically create the mixer channels. So far, all you've done is click a few buttons.

2. Create a midi track. This can be done in Cubase without even using a mouse! Just a key command.

2.5 Simply go to the output of the midi track and you'll see every single thing that can be routed to this midi track including every single Reason device! That's why I call this step 2.5. It's not even a step. You're already done with Rewire set up in Cubase. Now compare this to Ableton Live, Logic, FL Studio, and everything else.

You know what else is missing here. Ports! While all the rest "bother" you with port 6, port 7, port 8 and so on, Cubase just hides all that from you. This is a source of endless confusion for FL users wondering why they can't see all their Reason instruments from the FL side. Cubase understands this mess and just gives you what you want. Instruments, all of them at once. No ports. I don't think anything can be simpler than this.

Live ranks for me among the worst because in Live everything looks precisely the same. an audio track looks exactly like a midi track looks like a instrument track looks like a rewire track. How do you tell them from each other. By luck or a lot of scrutiny. In Cubase every single track type is a different color. Simple and smart.

Live does have some particular advantage regarding mono vs stereo channels that are not supported well in Cubase. Apparently, Cubase had this right at one point, then broke it in an updated release and at this point, I'm not sure if they sorted it back out or not, but my comments are mostly about ease of use and Cubase has no equal in this regard. No other host has rewire this simple. People love to say how Reason and Live are so great together and it makes no sense because Live's rewire is a mess and it doesn't matter what you're rewiring into Live. Similarly, Cubase's rewire is brilliantly simple and it doesn't matter what you're rewiring into Cubase.

Lastly, if you're talking about dealing with Vocals, then of course you're gonna do better with any traditional sequencer than Live. Another point worth mentioning is that Cubase's new Media Bay truly turns the page on dealing with samples and media management. Live really should be a leader in this, but Cubase's mediabay is on the next level. Forget midi or audio recording in general. Live doesn't compete against Cubase here either. Live's midi is not all there yet and it doesn't look like it's gonna get there. Cubase's midi and audio are mature and powerful.

Actually, I have a copy of Live 6 collecting dust that I've been trying to sell. Nobody wants to buy it.
i don't even know where to begin with this post. i'll just say that Live only has 2 types of tracks, audio and midi. i think the uniformity is the beauty of the whole thing. rewire is handled on the track with 2 dropdowns, thats just 2 steps, not 2.5. i remember you, ur the Live hater. nothing i say is gonna convice you otherwise of Live, nor is there anything you can say to convince me that cubase is good, so we'll leave it at that. i tried cubase, didn't like it, don't care to, but on the same token, i'm not gonna come in here and bash, because it's obviosly working for someone. i should not have called you a Live hater, because you did give it some props with mono/stereo track thing, and props are not the mark of a hater. anyway, i happen to like Live for it's simplicity and uniformity. as i've stated in the past, from my experience, you have to choose the sequencer that works the way you think. you think cubase is simple and easy, i think the same of Live, i just happen to like flat bland graphics and you like colorful stuff. it's all good. the only real issue is see with this argument, is cubase has no demo and Live does, so how can the man try before he buys?
LevLove

kidgorgeous said:
Lol. And to the original poster, if you're thinking of going Cubase, just get the much cheaper Cubase LE. I don't know what you can possibly need more for home recording than what Cubase Le has to offer. I think Cubase Sx, etc. is just a luxury. :victory:

But Live's the sh*t.

Live costs the same as the full versions of Cubase, Logic Studio, and Sonar. No point in getting Cubase LE if you have enough money for Live. All the majors have lowered their prices to the neighborhood of $500.00. By the way, Cubase SX has been history for quite some time now. We're currently at Cubase 4.

LevLover said:
i don't even know where to begin with this post. i'll just say that Live only has 2 types of tracks, audio and midi. i think the uniformity is the beauty of the whole thing. rewire is handled on the track with 2 dropdowns, thats just 2 steps, not 2.5.

If I may ignore all your name calling and pointless opinions, I'll just stick to facts. This thread was about rewire in Live vs rewire in Cubase.

I have Live 6 open in front of me. I'm gonna count the steps of using rewire and point out some differences.

1. Create audio track.
2. Create midi track.
3. On the midi track click "MIDI TO" and select "Reason" from the short list.
4. Go down 1 box still on the midi tack and select a Reason Instrument from the list of Reason instruments.
5. Go over to the Audio track, click the "Audio From" dropdown and select "Reason".
6. Still on the audio track, go down to the next drop down which is the list of Reason channels. Click this drop down and select a channel that you believe believe is connected to the instrument that you chose for the midi track.

Now, play your midi instrument. I'm counting 6 steps right in front of me. It's possible that this whole thing has been completely redone in Live 7, and is now only 2 steps as you say, but in Live 6, it's 6 steps. Period.

Some points worth mentioning. Now that I have 5 or 6 audio and midi tracks in front of me in Live, I have no easy way of distinguishing anything from anything else. There's an audio track and a midi track in there that "equals" my Subtractor instrument. How can I tell which? I have to squint hard at the tiny cramped writing and read each one. The more audio and midi tracks I have, the more confusing it all becomes because they all look exactly the same. An audio track looks just like a midi track and there's no indication of the fact that certain tracks are being used for Rewire, some for plain audio parts, some for midi. Cubase helps the user by color coding these things and putting the name of the instrument in larger type to the left in the inspector. It also helps by automatically hardwiring these mixer strips to Reason's hardware outputs, and automatically naming them, and automatically removing these useless channels if you decide to remove/disable the instrument. Some will argue that it's not difficult to manually do all o f this stuff in other sequencers. I would argue that a ban could fire all it's roadies and manually do all it's own set up and breakdown. They certainly can, but it's certainly not desirable.

LevLover said:
i remember you, ur the Live hater.

Anyone who could look at my statements objectively couldn't possibly call me a Live hater. The fact that you're calling me one says a lot more about you than me.

LevLover said:
nothing i say is gonna convice you otherwise of Live

Why would it, you're not making any kind of cohesive case for the merits of Live. You're only saying, "I love Live". Not much more than that.

LevLover said:
nor is there anything you can say to convince me that cubase is good

What made you think I was trying to convince you of anything at all?

LevLover said:
i tried cubase, didn't like it, don't care to, but on the same token, i'm not gonna come in here and bash, because it's obviosly working for someone.

Does that mean that I've come here and bashed Live? Is that the reverse point you're trying to make while making absolutely no points whatsoever about the whole point of this entire thread. LOL Yeah, leave it at that is good advice.

LevLover said:
i should not have called you a Live hater, because you did give it some props with mono/stereo track thing, and props are not the mark of a hater. anyway, i happen to like Live for it's simplicity and uniformity. as i've stated in the past, from my experience, you have to choose the sequencer that works the way you think. you think cubase is simple and easy, i think the same of Live, i just happen to like flat bland graphics and you like colorful stuff.

You don't get it. If an audio and a midi track look exactly the same, it takes time to distinguish between the two. A parent with twins sometimes has a hard time telling the difference between the two. Live has made a program where everything is a twin. LOL. And as users, we're like parents trying to tell which one is Bob and which one is Rob.

Last edited:
Back