Audacity vs ReCycle

Buzzzzzzzzz

I just started looking into sample/audio editing... and of course i plan on looking deeper into each program as time goes on... but I'm just looking for a little info from experienced users on what they like about each and why they prefer one above the other... Or if there are any other sample editing software with user friendly interfaces that still prove to be effective

i apologize in advance if theres already a thread on this... searched a couple pages and found nothing so i decided to post this

Recycle creates REX files which are only usable in Reason, so if you have Reason, it's a pretty nifty tool, but it limits (prohibits) you to uses with other DAWS

Recycle creates REX files which are only usable in Reason, so if you have Reason, it's a pretty nifty tool, but it limits (prohibits) you to uses with other DAWS

REX files can be used in almost any DAW and quite a few samplers.

Last edited:
REX files can be used in almost any DAW and quite a few samplers.

Do you think that's enough to convince him?

:victory:

I always thought that was propellerheads gag, to have audio editing software that could only be used with their products, which is why you could only save it in REX format.

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

Do you think that's enough to convince him?

:victory:

Don't Be A DYCK RIDER, no one needs cheerleaders here......

you were the 1st to call me wrong but didnt post anything to prove otherwise

I always thought that was propellerheads gag, to have audio editing software that could only be used with their products, which is why you could only save it in REX format.

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

Don't Be A DYCK RIDER, no one needs cheerleaders here......

you were the 1st to call me wrong but didnt post anything to prove otherwise

I would have gladly done so but he beat me to it. There was nothing posted that i didn't already know. Don't be a sore loser.

Cheers,

Carey

ReCycle was the first program to auto chop samples so you could send slices off to hardware samplers (hardware sampler support has since been dropped from new versions) it also generated a MIDI file to control playback of the slices at different tempos, this was long before Steinberg gave us VST so people were still using hardware samplers that only displayed time in samples rather than something useful like seconds. If I remember correctly the first program to support REX files was actually Cubase as ReCycle and ReBirth were both distributed by Steinberg and Reason didn't even exist at the time. Shortly after ReCycle a similar program was launched for the Atari called Zero-X, them more programs started to appear with the same features, then programs like ACID took tempo shifting to a different level (keep in mind that people were using ReCycle as a primitive form of time-stretching as well as to play individual slices out of sequence). These days auto chop is quite a common feature that makes ReCycle look a little long in the tooth given that it has remained quite basic, but ReCycle does something no other program can and that is make REX files, so unless you specifically need to make REX files that can be shared on different platforms you can do most of what ReCycle does in any decent DAW.

Believe it or not, RX2 files actually work better in some other programs that they do in the Dr. Rex/Octorex.

They're also compressed audio, so I'd rather have a loop library in Rex format even if I'm using it in FL Studio or Pro Tools just to take up less space.

Propellerheads just created the format. That's why it's so heavily affiliated. Like Sony/Sonic Foundry created Acid loops, but they go in anything.

Recycle came out in 1994 it was used with hardware samplers back then. Up until version 2.1 you could send your chopped loops to your hardware samplers via scsi or midi but that support was dropped with 2.1. Reason came out in 2000 and they created the Dr Rex for their rex files.
Propellerhead Software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

good info... i decided to go with recycle since I'm most comfortable with reason anyway... i figured id be able to adjust to the interface faster... thanks for the input

I would only use Recycle if I'm going to chop up the sample. If I need true (destructive) audio editing, I have to use an audio editor. Right now, nothing beats Audition (IMO). Audacity is powerful but I personally don't like the interface.

I own Recycle and use it only because I have to w/ my sampling/reason workflow. I wish there was integrated sampling/chopping in Reason... sighh.

Audacity doesn't do any of the automated beat slicing as far as I know. Audacity is free, has some great features (e.g. import and export of FLAC) but has a pretty clunky interface.

Back