what should I get????

F

filatlarge

I'm thinking of buying a new synth. I've been reading the threats on this board and checking out some reviews on the net...........

the supernova sounds like a great buy. I want a versatile all-around synth, but I will mainly use it to make hard house and hard trance tunes..

I'd love to hear any views or recommendations about the supernova or any other synths that are just as good or some great value for money synths .........

thanks

FIL

The SupernovaII is getting me mad, crazy, out of sense, losing my wife, losing any notion of time & space, insane. :eek: :victory: :eek:
It sounds ----------------------- ( can't describe, but it is absolutely great !! ). Great for trance / progressive trance / hard trance / techno.

I think - if U can afford the synth - you'll never forget the day U have your own SNII.

But can U explain once again what you exactly mean with "versatile allround" ?? Because the SNII is a pure v/a synth, and therefore it's maybe not enough "allround" in your case.

Pier ;)

For specifications, U can visit :Supernova II Rack

The best solution is waiting for Liet to visit your thread - he's the n° 1 die hard fanatic SNII-lover - because I'm sure he knows more about the SNII than the people of Novation themselves; don't you, Liet ?

Pier ;)

Yeah, don't get the JP8000/8080. Good for strings, but not powerful for other sounds. The JP8000 was one of the first popular v/a synths, and in the beginning period it was a great synth. But now there are lots of better v/a synths.

Hmmm... the huge modulation matrix on the supernova have features you simply will not find on other synths, I'm mainly talking about the Sync Skew and the Formant Width.
These two characteristics which can be different for each oscillator combined with one slave sync oscillator for each base oscillator + modulation of any oscillator characeristic by LFOs and Envelopes makes the SNII capable of doing allmost any kind of synth sound you could imagine.
Another specific SN idea is the Soften filter which is also modulative and can in extremis shape a square oscillator to a sine. This is also per-voice settings.

About filters BTW. The main difference between the Virus and Q synths and the SNII is the type of dual filter they have.
The Virus and Q have 2 totally independant multimode filters per voice while the supernova has 2 multimode filters a "width" setting, which is more similar to Formant filters, and can create some seriously whack effects.
My reasons for some time in the future to get a Micro are those filters, though i don't think they'll be of as much use for me personally as the formant type filters.

The effects though is where the SN really kick in. The Q is a petty weakling compared to the supernova when we talk about effects.
On each of the 8 parts, you can have a different Delay, Reverb, Distortion, Chorus/Flanger/Quad Chorus/ensemble, Pan/Temolo, EQ (!!!) and a Comb filter modulative by LFO1. (no, the Q is not the only synth out there with a comb filter, it's in the EQ section)

The supernova has the best imaginable vocoder on any synth out there to add an extra plus. A psycho 40 band crystal clear one!! That's what we're talking about.

Last edited:
thanks a lot guys for the quick replys, I really appreciate the help......

so the SNii really is that dope........

I feel another bank loan coming on.................

FIL

Any one got any high quality samples from the SN2 that doesn't sound very digital? :

Me and a friend of mine +some of his friends has tried the nova series.. (I've only tried the nova2 + supernova1 myself). And all of us thinks they sounds so extreamly digital. There aren't any trace of analogueish sounds in them :
I don't know 'bout my friends.. but i didn't try the filters so much (just added distortion and some reverb ;).. so maybe the filters is what makes this synth?

My 0.03 cents:

- The reverb on SNII sucks real bad. And I think it does sound a little 'digital' compared to Virus B or any Waldorf synth.

- It's also too easy to digitally clip this machine if you're too generous (which doesn't take much) with chorus and stuff. Even some preset factory patches cause an awful, hidious digital clip when you tweak the cutoff knob - not very professional to me.

- For FX and sound creation, SNII is the best except the reverb.

Toni L.
www.mp3.com/nativealien

Don't put down the JP8000, I just got one like a month or two ago, and damn it's pretty sweet. Don't judge it by it's presets, cuz i'll admit, most aren't that great, but programming your own, WOW!

Pricewise, the ION is another great choice, but since you are aiming for a SN, don't put out the Waldorf XTK. :)

if you're talking about the Alesis Ion.. forget it. I have the Micron and the sounds are not that great. at all... and waldorf went out of business (but is restarting again!) so I can't find any other their synths... except on ebay :mad:

Back