thinking of buying 3 new keyboards!!!

jonathan92

i was thinking of buy all three of the scaled down versions of the fantom,motif,triton.the juno g with a srx-08 expansion in it,a yamaha mm6,and i dont know if korg has a scaled down version of triton.these will be paired up with my mpc 1000.any replies would really help im.not thinking of buying them all at once but gradully i will aquire them.if you guys own any of these plese tell me what there sounds r like and if there worth it.thanxs

Last edited:
the TR is the scaled down version of the tritons but u should get an m3...that board is sick!
if you live in PA u should come to Sam Ash (King of Prussia) and buy it from me when your ready to get em!

MimikOctopus said:
Curious, why all 3?

cause i like the fantom and the motif and the triton i tried them out loved them and i want all three but i dont feel like going bankrupt to get the full scaled one so i get the "little brother" with the same sounds but not the same features

Last edited:
"cause i like the fantom and the motif and the triton i tried them out loved them and i want all three but i dont feel like going bankrupt to get the full scaled one so i get the "little brother" with the same sounds but not the same features"

Well, first of all, they don't have "the same sounds". For example the Wave ROM in both the MM6 and the Juno-G is wayy smaller than the ones on the "bigger brothers". Second - believe me, you don't want "scaled down" keyboards. At some point, it's going to come back at you and you'll regret it. Plus, the MM6 is a REALLY scaled down version of the Motif - I would stay the hell away from it. I believe the MO series (6 or 8) from Yamaha is the best way to get the Motif (ES) sound if on a budget.

That said, I would get a used Fantom X6, and a used Motif ES6. The prices on eBay or Craiglist etc are very reasonable.

But that's just my 2cents.

Last edited:
If you've tried the scaled down versions and are happy with them, by all means get them. Personally, I haven't found that to be the case for the sounds I am looking for. You get what you pay for, IMHO. I would get 1 nice one and build my sound around what it does best.

Good Luck with it!

I'm going to go with MrDuke on this one ... having 3 "limited edition" versions isn't the same as having even ONE "fully buffed" edition.

The suggestion of getting a used FantomX plus a used MotifES in good condition is EXCELLENT ... especially if this leaves you room for expansion cards. In my case, I'd recommend the "Classic EPs" and "Ultimate Keys" cards for the FantomX ... and perhaps "Dynamic Drums" as well.

Such a combination has more than you'll be able to handle for YEARS.

i recommend you get one...or maybe 2....and use the rest of your money for something else you may need.

The suggestion of getting a used FantomX plus a used MotifES in good condition is EXCELLENT ... especially if this leaves you room for expansion cards. In my case, I'd recommend the "Classic EPs" and "Ultimate Keys" cards for the FantomX ... and perhaps "Dynamic Drums" as well.

I like that idea better than getting the scaled down versions. There's only so many different pianos, horns, and bass patches.

you may find that one of the big 3 boards is all you need for your garden variety sounds. then you can look at picking up other little pieces (ex. waldorf microq or blofeld, dsi prophet, moog little phatty, vsynth gt, nord lead, virus, etc).

Ya, 3 scaled down not worth it. First of all, 3 romplers? Unless you stage, 2 i'd understand.

I'd have to agree and go with the suggestion to mix it up. 1 Rompler, 1 VA and a rack (something analog perhaps).

Cheers!

Don't do it, trust me you will be upset. As others have said, 1 fully fledged will be better than 3 stripped down versions. It would be better to get 1 full version and the other 2 racks if you just had to have those sounds, and you could cut cost that way. Trust me, I have got stripped down stuff and was then mad when I found out it wasn't going to do everything that i needed it to

lanlan said:
Ya, 3 scaled down not worth it. First of all, 3 romplers? Unless you stage, 2 i'd understand.

I'd have to agree and go with the suggestion to mix it up. 1 Rompler, 1 VA and a rack (something analog perhaps).

Cheers!

whats a rompler and a VA and analog.wat does that mean??

yeah man ive been there and done that, i thought it was a good idea buts its not you would defintely be better of just getting the full version of one of the three.

Last edited:
jonathan92 said:
whats a rompler and a VA and analog.wat does that mean??
A "rompler" is a nickname for a "workstation" type synthesizer, in which the sounds are stored in a sample-based Wave ROM. Examples: Yamaha Motif series, Roland Fantom X series, Korg Triton series. These types of keyboards are not "true" synthesizers, even though they are often called that. They usually have a variety of all "bread and butter" sounds like electric pianos, strings, brass, basses, drum kits etc. These type of keyboards also usually have onboard sequencers, samplers etc.

VA is short for "Virtual Analog", and it's a (new) synthesizer that emulates the sounds of analog synthesizers. It's not sample based like the romplers. Examples: Korg Radias, Access Virus, Roland JP-8000.

An analog synthesizer such as Moog are "true" synthesizers that use analog circuits to create their sound.

Last edited:
Anybody have any of those expansion boards for the Fantom-x?

I have a Roland Fantom X6 which is brilliant for your bread and butter sounds, but I would like some additional sounds just for the hell of it.

Back