Synth sound test

krushing

Check this out

46 sound samples of various synths, both hardware and software. I sucked at recognizing them, even those I've played with. The page is in German, but it's pretty straightforward - beispiel = sample, antwort = answer.

there is a notable difference between soft and hard !
it's when u come to the hardware samples that you really hear the difference

hatembr said:
there is a notable difference between soft and hard !
it's when u come to the hardware samples that you really hear the difference

You’re absolutely right! There are even some hardware synths that I thought was software, like the Nord Modular synths. Btw, I thought the Waldorf Pulse sounded ten times batter than the Jupiter-6 on these samples. Compare 22 with 8. This was a site with many surprises!

Nice page, Array!

great find Krushing, thanks!

krushing said:
Check this out
I sucked at recognizing them, even those I've played with.

I wouldn't worry about that if I were you. We'd be synth gurus if we could recognize them! :P I was able to tell what they were analog/digital/software in most cases though (which is not bad I guess.)

Originally posted by cubbyhouse

There are even some hardware synths that I thought was software, like the Nord Modular synths.
yea same here!

I took some notes while I was listening to the examples. And at the end, I knew which ones I liked the most (they're the ones I would have bought based on that demo)

(in order of sweetness)
#46 it'a Moog :) (the range is.. wow *drooling*)
#30 Oberheim Xpander: meaty! I want one now!
#08 #37 Waldorf Pulse: great deep end, and nice tone! love it!
#33 Vermona: (noisy but) sweet pulses! (by noizy I mean real noize, the kind u don't want when you're recording)
#22 #24 Jupiter 6: the latter example is juicier! (I think the recording level is low compared to the others, crank up your speakers and compare again, the juice is there!)
#29 Alesis A6: very aggressive!
#45 Juno 106: sounds good, but it's the noiziest one! is this what you normally get on your outputs?! (any Juno106 owners?!)
#07 Waldorf MicroQ: love my baby :P
#09 Virus: a pleasant surprise. I know know why people say "it has a sound of its own."

#41 Reason Suntractor: I thought it was the best sounding software on this page (maybe I missed one)

In conclusion, what can VA do among such beasts! This is Kent Brockman reporting live from Futureproducers. Back to you.

Back