stop hatein on roland

E

ethernine

roland is one of the best companys that make music intrument s some of you just don`t know how to use them the mc909 is 1 pf the best sampleing workstations it the closeis if not better then a mpc yo each its own the xp60 is better then the triton le the guitar sounds on the xp is the best you can get on a keyboard the vs2480 i have and have made professnal albums my rock group whole cd was done it with notthing but the vs2480 in guitar plug in boss i also have a jx305 that i use on alot of hiphop track and have had big producer askin where you get that sound from:D so before you go and start knocking roland check em out buy a demo video tape cause guitarcenter sales people will tell you what they like and what everybody buying so be your own person roland forever and emu too:D :D :victory:

ethernine,

your reaction on the many 'Roland blaming' threads here in the forum isn't really surprising me, and as I said in several other threads these are some of my findings:

+

1. Roland did make state-of-the-art synths in a previous era; look at the vintage analog synths and drummachines like the Jupiter 8 (my favourite), the Juno's, the alpha-Juno's, JX-series, SH-101, MC-202, TB-303, modulars like the System 100m, the awesome Roland vocoders, TR-808 and TR-909, the S-series samplers, and many more...

2. Roland has made state-of -the-art harddiskrecorders like the VS-series (880/1680/2480/...)

3. Roland has made some of the best ROM-sample modules and synths (the JV-, XP- and XV-series); imho a little better than the rival ones from EMU (Proteus series) or Korg (Trinity, Triton)

4. Roland was one of the pioneers of VA (virtual analog) synths with the JP-8000 - which is still very popular (and imho that's an appropriate popularity)

-

1. the day they released the Groovebox-series, imho Roland left its state-of-the-art image by creating gear for the "big masses", full of mid-quality rom samples, lots of attracting knobs, d-beam, and other mambo jambo; good toys for beginning producers, but double crap for more serious producers (and I'm not only talking about the mega-studio's here)

2. generally the latest Roland synths and modules are imho so mass-oriented (the big money, you know), that Roland gives the impression to have given up quality for quantity

and I definitely know what I'm talking about; I think I must have played almost all Roland synths (older and newer), I'm looking to buy a Jupiter-8, and I'm the lucky owner of a Juno-60, MKS-50 ( = alpha Juno 1 module), TB-303, JP-8080, and XP-30; I ever had a VS-880 hd recorder and a MC-303 Groovebox, bot I sold these...

but we may not forget: Roland still IS one of the biggest instruments companies in the world (speaking about the scale)
but is that a pro or a contra ?

THM :cheers:

ok ok, i haven't been "producing" for long (2 years), and i'm more of a hobbyist looking to get a few gigs here and there (i would die a happy man if i could just get a room full of 20 people to feel what i'm feeling, and do it through music).

but i'm tired of people ragging on these grooveboxes (i've got a yamaha an2000). they are fantastic instruments. i'm a classically trained cellist, and i'll tell you what, it takes more skill to play one of these groovebox/"things with knobs" than some real instruments. just because they have good user interfaces (rather than more buttons than you'll ever know what to do with) doesn't mean you can't get production sound out of them. my yamaha makes some crazy pads and sweeps that i can't get out of my nord lead3 (which is used by plenty of industry people).

also, roland makes some good drums sounds. i've got an spd-11, which is a great idea. it lets you learn how to play the drums, while at the same time allowing you to use computers to clean up your playing (better than fruity loops at least).

i agree their keyboards are disappointing. might as well get a casio.

but these so-called "toy" grooveboxes "with knobs" are actually powerful instruments able to create emotive and complicated sounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only Roland device that I purchased that was manufactured after 1990 is my JP- 8080. I'm not down on Roland, but the whole groove-box phase turned me off to their products. I'm waiting for them to come back to the high-end spectrum of quality, but like THM said, I think they cater more to the mass market, low-cost, compromise sound vs. price products.

maddog000 said:
i like roland, but they bombed out with the jp-9000.

Hmmm. I've never heard of that model. :confused:
They do make a jp-8000 (jp-8080 rackmount version) which is a great synth. Considering it has been on the market for nearly six years & on hundreds of albums, I would say this was one of their best products in recent years.

Or do you mean the VP-9000? I agree with you there...that variphrase thing was super expensive & sounded worse than cheap software I can run on my PC.

Personally, my favorite Roland keyboard is the RD-500. Too bad they don't make that anymore. I did have trouble with keys breaking on it and buttons breaking on it, but it had one of the best piano sounds I've heard from Roland. I didn't care for the action that much, but the piano quality was very high. I know Roland made the RD-600 and 700. What happened to the pianos from the 500?

what about that great roland product, that brite Orange peice of JUNK. hahahaha i dont think they sold any of them.
:cry:

I use an RD-150 as my master controller (very robust, feels like areal piano) and an XV-3080 (very decent sound module for bread+butter tones)

I was an MC-303 "power-user" for a couple of years too heh. I gave it to a friend who was graduating, as my music was getting less and less dancy/electronic. It was such a fun box to go crazy with though... Get a lot done fast.

:)

overal roland is good compared with what other companies make,....how many crap toys korg made ??? nobody is talking about them...right

I think roland is one of the best out there making nice sounds for us music headz.

Big porbz to them belgium nikkes (yea you too THM)

Back