A Real fat bass sounds. What you use?

Shaplin

I'm looking for real hot bass sounds for my beats. What synth do it better? I need a real fat sound with lot of sub frequencies to add more "meat". :)

I've listened to a lot of Timbo's tracks and what do I hear? Soft but fat bass synth sound...

I've heard that Moog can do it. Anything else?

hey there Shaplin..

i am really enjoying a Roland XP-30 synth. it has three wave-expansion boards as standard, including the "Techno sounds" collection.. these are all direct from the roland JV 1080 sound modules so the quality is top notch.

they probably do not make the XP-30 any more, in fact 99 percent certain they don't, however it is available pretty cheap 2nd hand.

you may need more than this, however. i just mention it, because after a friend lent it to me on an extended loan (generous friendz r awesome!! :)), i have kind of fallen in love with the sounds. so rich, the "bit depth" is extremely 'warm' 'present' etc.. i just dial up a sound, play a couple of chords, and my girlfriend goes "Yeah!".

for the big deep subtle sounds.. actually the XP-30 can do it, but you might also look at a Roland Juno.. would need to research the right one.

other synths for big bass... ummmm.... any1 else? i bet there are some awesome bass machines out there.

I've learning throught time that a good bass comes more from the sound source than from your programming skills. For great good basses, you almost see your self force to invest $$$ on a synth to produce them.

A very reliable option are the Roland Juno series (early eighties). Great for basses.
A recent modern option is the Virus T1.

Shaplin said:
I'm looking for real hot bass sounds for my beats. What synth do it better? I need a real fat sound with lot of sub frequencies to add more "meat". :)

I've listened to a lot of Timbo's tracks and what do I hear? Soft but fat bass synth sound...

I've heard that Moog can do it. Anything else?

Good ingredients are clean synth waveforms, preferably more than one, a sine-wave to add fundamental oomph, and some nice filters. Here's a fat Kontakt patch (if I say so myself) sound: mp3 demo and K2 patch web page.

Well guyz thanx :) you should know my setup LOL

JV-1080, Virus TI, Nord Micro Modular and AKAI S3k and Z samplers...

If I vote for bass sounds of this synths:
1. JV-1080
2. Nord
3. Virus

Maybe I should try real analog devices like juno-106 and moog

Last edited:
the 106 uses the same engine as the 60, however the 60 has got more punch..

here is an info page on the 106.. http://www.vintagesynth.com/index2.html

it has much more midi capability. the others need a special device to sequence them, but it is worth it. if you are searching for more than you have at the moment, it would be worthwhile to check out the juno 60.

if you want your bass TIGHT, use a PreAmp and a good COMPRESSOR.

both... use for any low frequency responces... to tighten up your dynamics.

Last edited by a moderator:
also, check out the Focusrite P3 Compounder... its not expensive, at all.
maybe 3 or 4 hundred.. great on drums

mjames4208, I have 1178, Drawmer, Summit, dbx and two symmetrix 501...

By the way, how did you compress your drums? Separately kick, snare etc., or group track?

kool advice .. can always go the software route for compression after it has been recorded to disk, or is it much better to have a compression/preamp situation at the recording stage? :)

i like this thread.

have been considering a Juno, because they are awesome, and for a while, one was lent to me by a very groovy studio in byron bay. but then.. eventually.. ppl found out and were all like "why does jasper have the juno.. he doesnt even work here?"

heh. anyways, ever since then, i have known the power of the Juno 106.

actually, it was back in '99 in melbourne, when i was first introduced to a Juno 60, that was an awesome experience too.

the 106 can do midi with proper functionality.
the 60 has a voltage-control-box-thing that does respond to one midi channel , although a fickle thing sometimes.. if it works, that is great, although my buddy's juno 60 midi-voltage thing stopped working. it is possible to get them fixed if that happens.

re/ compression and preamps, how about also this: sidechaining the kick and the bass? depends on how their lines intersect i guess? have to be closely connected in the line/pattern they are playing?

without wishing to write too many words, here is an info page about the oberheim OBX-A

the OBX-A and the jupiter-8 have been compared to each other, possibly the jupiter-8 being the best, not sure..

neither are available on e-bay right now.. i wonder where to get one. perhaps they are not for sale. i belive a good one of either of these synths is going to be an investment that will make good money within five years, if kept well.. i guess that means, do not gig with them, just work with them in the studio.

Last edited:
ppl say the 106 and 60 are the same engine, it is not true. similar engine.
the 60 does some kind of different internal gate with the OSC and LFO, in such a way that makes it better than the 106.

if only i could find the page that explained it to me, or at least remember the details better :D

heres a great article on analog bass synth programming.. mentions juno 60 :)

http://www.darksonus.com/DS_articles_analogbass01.php

also, right here at FP, a thread about the juno series.

https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42747

they mention how the juno 60 has an arpegiator whereas the 106 does not

couple of posters also say how big the jupiter 8 sounds, although it is more expensive.

they also mention how close Belgium is to everything
"in 2 hours I´m in Paris, in 3 in London or Amsterdam."
the, a very interesting appraisal of european women commences.
however, that is OT :D

and last but not least, an info page on the juno 60 from matrix synth:

The Juno-60 is a six-voice polyphonic synthesizer that is coveted for its fat analog filter. Many musicians say the Juno-60 is fatter than a 106. I totally agree. The basses have an unmistakable boom and punch that have to be heard to be appreciated. The organs have that retro sound that sets any track apart and the pads and strings are nothing short of spectacular with an organic thickness that breathes thru your speakers. And don't forget the legendary Roland Chorus. This setup will inspire and catapult your Electronica/Ambient/Techno/Hip Hop/Experimental compositions to a whole new level.

and for midi functionality for the juno 60:

"Because the Juno-60 is not midi-equipped it is hard to incorporate into a studio environment. Enter the Roland MD-8 Midi-To-CV Converter. You can now trigger the Juno-60 from your midi controller or whatever sequencing program you use. You can go midi to DCB or DCB to midi - and you designate which midi channel as well! You can also use it to interface with a DCB equipped Jupiter-8. This MD-8 works perfectly.

"

Last edited:
kool :)

shaplin, do you have any original tracks i could listen to?

i am surfing on my gfriend's dial-up connex, so cannot listen now, but if you send me a pm or something i can have a listen later on. would like to hear what sounds you are getting at the moment with the equipment you have.

cheers

curve hands? i dno..

got the link, very cool, you have done heaps! nice one.

interesting that you do the cello thing aswell as the electronic music/ tv music. that blonde singer chicka is a hottie!!

i do the nylon string classical/contemporary original organic composition on guitar... while also working on more electronic/motif/rhythmic based music. it is an interesting mix of influences, i tend to keep the two seperate, as you seem to have done too.. pure cello vibe, or the electronic vibe.. two very different creatures.

Last edited:
Well, thnx bro :) Glad to hear... I dont have any of my works at home, so I send you it from the studio on monday.

If anybody else is interesting link is myspace page - /shaplinproducer
So you all most welcome :) and your comments too

By the way... first video is a Dima Bilan and all competitors - "Your rules". He is record now about 6 tracks with Timbaland (I heard "Number One Fan" and "Amnesia") for his english language album. I make several tracks for his russian album now. So ofcourse I've ask him "How It Was?" But unlikely he answers - awesome, hot, super cool, great - but no details... LOL

Back