My upcoming Synthesizers.com (DotCom) modular system

THM

Hi people !!
Here below you can find a comparison draft of two possible setups; with ± the same modules but pretty different configured (only I forget to draw a Q963 in the sequencer section of the upper setup, while I added another MOOG ladder filter on the bottom system).
What do you think would be *in practice* the most interesting setup for me (it's in the first place for mid-70ies Tangerine Dream-alike sequences and soundscapes) ?

Can I also ask anyone for hints, comments, etc... about what modules not to take, or certainly to add (replacing current ones...), or only to put in another place ? Thanks already !!!

Here are both options "A" and "B"; I'm in doubt about which setup I'd take.
Probably there will come still another option "C" which will have the sequencers in the bottom row/tier.

THM-modular--setup-comparison.jpg

What would you recommend ?

Frankly I would rather have an Andromeda for 70's soundscapes...

As far as the layouts that you posted, your stuff is sort of all over the place. If I was to build a modular, I would set it up in a way that it would follow a logical signal flow. For instance, I would put all of the LFO's on the far left, the oscillators next, then all of your mixers, then your envelopes, then your filters, then finally the amps. That's pretty much what the MiniMoog paradigm was. Or you can do the same thing from top to bottom....LFO's and other modulation sources up top, oscillators bellow that, etc.

Array said:
Frankly I would rather have an Andromeda for 70's soundscapes...

As far as the layouts that you posted, your stuff is sort of all over the place. If I was to build a modular, I would set it up in a way that it would follow a logical signal flow. For instance, I would put all of the LFO's on the far left, the oscillators next, then all of your mixers, then your envelopes, then your filters, then finally the amps. That's pretty much what the MiniMoog paradigm was. Or you can do the same thing from top to bottom....LFO's and other modulation sources up top, oscillators bellow that, etc.

LFOs at the top eh? If it were me, I'd stick em at the bottom :>

I'd build it like a long 19' rack mixer with a gang on knobs and buttons logically placed starting at the top with the signal type. Then I'd put the faders at the bottom and a button under each fade to audition the sound, something like a (Eurorack MX 3242X SP1200).

I'd also make mine a sampler with 3 seconds on each track cause I don't know sh@t about read synths. I guess I'm just an SP1200 fan.

I know I went off topic but that's just me.

welel since u r thinking of TD or berlinshool sequencing, i'd group it with standard (minimoogish*) arhitecture in one place, with 960s very close by, and then put all the rest inside as you slowly start to work on it. you dont need to to figure out the whole setup in advance. if u get so many modules in use at once you get lost - its better to slowly incorporte them in your work flow - then you'll know best where you really want them placed.

* 3 or 5 VCOs, ladder filter, mixer for vcos, two adsrs, vcas and 960s.

pity nobody makes the moog highpass clone. everybody is so obsessed with the lowpass. then you would have the complete 904a and 904b system, used by TD, Carlos, Tomita and the others..

Holy crap THM that's freaking huge. I am jealous.

Out of the two, i'd go with A . . . but . . .

Working in the format you want to work with, with lots of 16th note sequences churning away using . . . oh say 2 or 3 Q106s at the most . . .

Keep the 960's at the top. That's the best place for them i think, logically speaking. Next, think about putting all 6 of your Q106s in a row, perhaps on the very bottom rack. Also, consider getting another MIDI interface . . . it's doubtful that you're going to be using all 6 oscs for one monophonic sound, and even with multiples and what not you still need another MIDI/CV i'd say.

I'd stick the MIDI/CV to the left of a group of 2 of the Q106s. Make the setup look a little reminscent of the 901A/B combination. But that's just me. I would however definitely suggest placing all oscs on the bottom row.

Other than that, i'd say adjust to taste, but try to keep things in the same general area (the exception being things like multiples, etc . . . .those go where they are needed).

You're going to have an awesome modular. You should get a custom cabinet made for that thing! contact a local woodworker or something. I'd say it deserves it.

Check out the Redshift moog modular for my idea of an ideal modular setup. It's a monstrosity, but it's laid out very well i think.

Thanks for all input guys !! :cheers:
I'll definitely consider some hints and re-setup my (probably) final configuration.
I'll post it soon so you can still give comments on it.

In the meanwhile are all other comments still very welcome !!!!

Okay I thought about some things and finally I decided still to keep the sequencers at the top.
This will probably be my final order with Roger Arrick (synthesizers.com) :

There are two non-dotcom modules included: the MOTM-480 CS-80 filter from Syntech MOTM (second row counting from the bottom, third module from right), and the C-1680 VC Analog Delay from COTK (bottom row middle).

If somebody may see some critical shortcomings please let me know (other comments of course welcome too !!!) - thanks already.

THM-modular---blank-sheet.jpg

I forgot to show a pic of my final order:

DotCom keyboard, 88-space cabinets, and modules, except these: 1x MOTM-410 (triple resonant Korg PS-3100 filter) en 1x MOTM-480 (dual resonant Yamaha CS-80 filter).

THM-module-placement.jpg

I can't wait... :p

Back