module rack

2nice

im in the process of setting up a home studio, including protools, reason, a midi keyboard (as controller), midi-usb interface, boss sp303 sampler, and record player. as part of the setup, im trying to build a module setup that will work as follows:

midi signals from my keyboard will be routed to a midi switch box that will switch the signal between my computer's midi-usb interface and several sound modules. the sounds from these modules are then routed to the generator. in other words, i am building a setup that will allow the keyboard to be switched as a controller between a few different sound generators.

im really into gritty and dark rza-style or havoc-style sounds, which is why i decided to go for the sp303-turntable combination. for this reason, i want some modules with really grimey sounds... the following are the devices that i'm considering, please let me know if i'm on the right track or what i should change about this:

novation bass station - i will have to buy a used rack module, since it is kind of old-school and i believe no longer being made. really just going for that dope analog bass sound.

emu vintage keys - im really shaky about this one... i want to try using lots of of the classic, vintage synths, but this module has received some mixed reviews... anyone know what the deal is with it? good, accurate replication of the vintage sounds? i was thinking of just getting vsts on my computer to emulate these.

emu mp7 - im honestly not positive what this does... i know it is a sound generator that comes with sounds rather than sampling, but are these one-shot sounds that i can just punch in like in a phrase sampler, or are these sounds that the mp7 maps to a piano roll that i can control with a midi connection to my keyboard? and how exactly are the sounds? what kind of sounds are they?

asr-10 - again, not positive what this does... does this map sounds to a piano roll or just sample single phrases? would this add a lot of functionality to my setup or would it just be another way of doing what i can already do? functionally, what sets the asr-10 apart, cuz ive heard it hyped a lot.

yamaha motif rack module - aight, this is just for the purpose of having really good top-quality sounds, since it is the only one of these pieces of equipment that isnt about the "vintage" or "gritty" sounds. but, how exactly is it? how does it compare to other top synths (fantom, triton, etc). what kind of sounds does the motif specialize in? it would be nice to have a keyboard that had really good organic (not electric-sounding) sounds, is this the right place to look?

thanks a lot yo

yo man i dont really understand what your trying to do but lemme start off by saying the mp7 is a waste that .... is weak.get an asr x if your gonna get that.(asrX)is the drum machine version of the asr keyboard.asr 10 is a sampling keyboard...it has no internal sounds or presets and operates strickly on samples.it has a decent sequencer but where this piece shines is definatly in the effects area.i have an mpc and that .... is coo but my drums come out punchier and my samples sounds dirtier on the asr.like i said i dont really understand what your trying to do with having an sp303 and an asr and a motif rack runnin with reason.i mean the 303 has some grit and madlib's been using that .... alot lately but your really limited at the same time.unless you have a very extensive record collection and already make hot beats than i prolly wouldnt reccomnd it.if you want raw grit in the style of rza,4th disiple,havoc,alchemist etc the main piece of equipment i would suggest would be an asr.you want grit?than abandon the computer and just do full blown tracks on the asr..... is sick fo real.another option would be either a mpc 60 or a mpc 3000 another sick machine there.but the main point i am trying to get across is that you wanna get gear that compliment each other ya know what i mean?a sp1200 spits fire too but than again your limited to 10 sec of sampling time which isnt much.a asr with scsi installed and full memeroy a turntable a dj mixer and crates of vinyl is the way to go.than get like a novation bass station module midi that ish up with your asr 10 and bam,you have some sick sample bassed heat with some hot ass bass sounds,.... would sound nice.i only use my computer to record but not to actually make beats,and if your trying to get a dark gritty sound i think the asr is the way to go.by the way the first mobb deep was done a eps16 keyboard which is the asr's lil brother and all alchemist uses is an asr.very sickk piece.do you produce or are you just gonna start?

lil_slip - what do you prefer about the fantom.

labdwella - thanks for the advice, ill definitely look into the asr. and yes, i produce already, but right now only with reason and acid.

yea the setup im goin for is a little tough to decipher, but the only important thing to know about it is that it is meant to hook up a simple keyboard that i have to multiple modules and to the computer, so that the keyboard can be used as a midi controller for these devices and for sounds in reason.

i noticed that you didnt have much love for the mp7... im really confused over whether or not i should cop this. the one thing that really interested me about the mp7 is the fact that rza supposedly uses it (though im sure its a small fraction of his total setup), and i also heard that he endorses it because he had given substantial input and advice to emu during the mp7's design.

so, i understand that you didn't like it and would advise me not to get it, but what exactly bothered you about it? the asr seems like a better investment and if i cop the mp7, it would be in addition to the asr. i understand the limitations of the mp7, what i really would want it for is the sounds. how are the sounds? are they the dark, gritty type sounds that im looking for? are they good quality?

2nice said:
... didnt have much love for the mp7... im really confused over whether or not i should cop this. ...
My opinion: The Command Station is solid piece of gear. It's a pretty deep piece of gear, meaning that it is very capable and flexible, but it is not as easy-to-use as an MPC. I think this is the reason why some people don't like it much.

ALSO, an MP7 all-by-itself-with-no-additions is probably not the best of the Command Station series. My MP7 has the Protean Drums ROM, Proteus Pop ROM and Beat Garden ROM added ... a killer combination by any estimation.

If you are considering the Emu Vintage Keys, think about adding some ROMs there as well. I'd suggest the XLead or XLeadV2 as good choices ... perhaps the "Sounds of ZR" as well.

Some people don't like Emu sounds much, because they don't have that "instant gratifcation ear candy" effect that you get when you first play some presets on something like a Triton. Frankly, I find that the Triton sounds get old really fast, whereas the Emu stuff holds up very well in almost any mix.

2nice said:
lil_slip - what do you prefer about the fantom.
i use the fantom-s keyboard and i've spent a couple of days with the fantom xr. the motif rack i had borrowed for a month probably a lil less than a year ago. using the motif rack in a midi set up you describe would have definitely exposed the problem i had with it. MIDI TIMING. dont know if its been fixed yet might want to check if maybe a software upgrade fixed it. the sounds are good, the software is good, editing sounds without the software is a pain. but there was a problem with the midi timing even when using usb. side note: i saw a used fantom xr at a local store for $795. ran home to get the enough to put it on layaway and by the time i got back it was already sold. SH!T never used the mp-7 but i've always heard good things about emu

word yo... im tryin to get a rack module, so it wouldnt be an actual keyboard synth receiving midi input.... do you think the midi timing would still be messed up for that?

2nice said:
word yo... im tryin to get a rack module, so it wouldnt be an actual keyboard synth receiving midi input.... do you think the midi timing would still be messed up for that?
yes. as far as i know the motif keyboard does not have the midi timing problem that the rack did or does. does that answer your question? cuz i'm not sure i understood yours

Ignoring all this "this gear is better than this gear" stuff. I'll answer the actual question:

You only need to run the controller keyboard into the midi in of the computer, the configure that input as the controller keyboard. Now when you select a track in you sequencer it will automatically setup the keyboard to control that track. With all the hardware setup properly this allows you to do what you want.

it doesnt take a scientist to figure that out.i was just trying to give him some insight and my opinion on what would be good to achieve the sound he likes.2 nice said that he wasnt sure what the asr was so i when ahead and gave my opinion.as for the mp7 i mean i am an mpc head so the mp7 is weak to me but that dont mean that the next cat cant flip it.i seen rza in some magazine ad with the mp7 before but for some reason i think he mainly endorsed it.i dont think that the center of his studio.

mungo said:
Ignoring all this "this gear is better than this gear" stuff. I'll answer the actual question:
wasnt his question asking what he should change about the planned setup?

lil slip - i see whut you mean, ill stay away from the motif module... if anything id go for a straight motif keyboard then.

mungo - do u mean that you can plug the keyboard into the midi in, and set up the computer to control modules in a rack?

labdwella - aight, i see what you mean. i guess ill check out an mp7 in a store to get a sense of its sounds, and judge on that.

damn mungo...do us a favor and take your ugly ass mug off the avatar.your face annoys me...lol :)

mungo - do u mean that you can plug the keyboard into the midi in, and set up the computer to control modules in a rack?
Yep, its easiest if you have a midi interface with lots of outputs but you can do it with careful channel assignment if you dont have enough.
damn mungo...do us a favor and take your ugly ass mug off the avatar.your face annoys me
As a 1000 post member its my right to display my face :P

Last edited by a moderator:
Back