M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

animosity

Anybody heard anything about this board?

I want an 88 key and this is the most affordable one I saw. Is it sacrificing quality for cost?

Last edited:
my favorite piano action of any board ever! it seriously is. it doesn't feel at all like a piano, but i still really like it. it feels like a broken down old upright that has had 60-70 years of drunk people passing out on top of it.

no, none at all. it's my favorite piano action out of all the MIDItrollers i've ever played.

functionality wise, i suppose i'd recommend something from Novation or VME, but i really like the keys on the maudio.

It looks fantastic to me. It's got so many control surface things on it. If you can afford it, go for it.

It's OK. Nothing to write home about, but sufficient for the task it's designed for. Keys are a bit plasticky feeling and the action's a tad on the light side, but I think you'd struggle to beat it for price. If you like synth keyboards you'll probably find the action a smidge heavier than you're used to, but that has it's own advantages.

Well, I moved to Costa Rica. Left all my gear in storage and bought an M-audio Keystation Pro 88 to serve my finger fetish and ya, it serves its purpose.

I'm definitely happy with it, though meant for stage it's used as our at home piano. I did want something I can possibly take back home with me in a year or so. Sounds great (basic sounds..again it's sold as a stage piano), looks slick...no complaints for what I paid.

Action is a bit on the heavy side, as mentioned, feels like an old beat up piano. Regards to the other comment, dunno how it was mentioned to be on the light side.. (maybe he was talking about the keystation 88SE or some ****). So ya, keys lean on the heavy side and evenly weighted across the board, so not piano graded (heavier on the bass, lighter on the upper keys). Not too bad, i don't stress my hands at all even after an hour or two of practice and jamming.

:cheers:

It's cool but a little dated... I wish there were more pre configured templetes to control other software and hardware synthisizers...

p.s. Drum pads would have been a great addition...

i own a keystation pro 88 and it is a decent controller for the price.

if you sit down and pound on the keys without it being connected to a sound source (module/vst) the keys may feel clucky but the beauty of the keyboard is how it give a true sound/feel (nice even touch) of the module/vst.

now, the studiologic vmk 188 plus if you want to spend the extra bucks is the best i have ever felt. i have had mines for about 2 months and it has a great feel/touch. it cost $700.

Damn that CME UF8 looks REAL hot. I have the M-audio and it works great for my set up. The players who've come through my studio seem to like it. But that CME looks real nice. I went to Musicians Friends and they've discontinued it. What's up with that? Does CME have an upgraded one now or something. I'm a look into that controller.

I'm subscribed to Sound on Sound and the new CME with the motorized faders got poor reviews. I don't always trust reviews, but they really didn't like it. They rarely dog something, and they dogged it. I need to find a store with one, take my laptop and demo it. For now my Maudio will suffice. One Love.

Back