How is the Yamaha Rm1x

goingtocali

I messed around with a Rm1x the other day for about 4 hours and felt like it really had potential. I have read many good things about it, I was wondering it anyone out there has any bad things to say about it? I am thinking of buying one for 500 US dollars. Good deal/ Bad deal????

PEaCe LoVe

RM1X

I love it;

Very user friendly (once you ge the hang of it), the sequencer is so,so,so powerful (works like a dream), although the sounds in the tone generator are pretty average and polyphony is a real issue.

However if you're using it to control external tone generators/synths/samplers this shouldn't be a problem.

Loads of little features that make it so much better than any of the other grooveboxes (grid groove, patch function).

Don't take my word for it, go here;

http://www.markarber.freeserve.co.uk, or http://www.teklab.com

uses of Rm1x

yeah I feel you on the cheesy voices and the polyphony. It is a amazing tool for generating midi data, thats what I plan on using it for. It does have some good voices, havent heard all of them. I was amazed by the patterns it comes with.

RM1X

The voices can be really good if tweaked enough, but the only problem is if they're tweaked to the limit then you can't use any of the other tracks because of the polyphony issue.

What i tend to do in this case is sample the sound i've created and then use the RM1x to trigger my sampler.

Triggering Sampler wit RM1x

Could you explain a little bit more about triggering sampler with Rm1x? That sounds like a very creative way to use the rm1x. So you send midi data from the rm1x to the sampler, having the sampler play the patterns stored in the rm1x? Please, tell me more!

PeACe LoVe

RM1X

Basically you can assign each midi channel to the RM1x's tone generator, or an external midi device (i.e another synth, a sampler or anything that makes a noise really).
*You can also assign it to both at the same time which is a neat trick to enable you to get 32 midi channels instead of 16...

The reason why i sample the sounds, is because to create a decent sound on the RM1x you have to really cain the effects, filters... so the polyphony of the tone generator can be quickly used up on 2 or 3 tracks.
It is possible to do whole songs using just the RM1x which sound half decent, don't get me wrong !!!

If i sample the RM1x's sound then the tone generator on the RM1x is no longer being used as the sampler is then providing the sound. I have an A4K sampler which has much higher polyphony than the RM1x.

The sampler is simply controlled by midi note on/off messages in the RM1x's sequencer.
If you have a sound in the sampler you can assign it to the RM1x's keyboard (or your controller, i prefer) and then record in a pattern as normal.

The RM1x can also control effects,filters etc on any external equipment simply by assigning the correct controller change command.

I can't praise the thing enough, fairly simple to use and very very effective.

If you want to know anymore let me know, i'll not be back on this board till tomorrow.

Rich.

yes the RM1X is a good alternative when you dont want to bring your computer on stage (ie Cubase, logic, cakewalk and all that). The RM1X controls/sequences quite well external devices.

Bilal, a friend of mine (who produced music for Dr Dre, Ice Cube, and others..) LOVES LOVES his RM1X and wishes it was a sampler as well...

He asked me if the SU700 was like a sampler version of the RM1X (ie same sequencer, etc..)... do you think it is comparable?

closing on the bid

Well I am about to close on a bid for a Rm1x for looks like 500, I continue to hear so many good things about it. Yo Dyeone if I could have your email address, dont mean to intrude but it seems like a more convenient way to communicate, mine is cocoabravo@hotmail.com. PeAcE

Re: closing on the bid

goingtocali said:
... if I could have your email address, dont mean to intrude but it seems like a more convenient way to communicate...

nooo :D go forums go!
wait til this site features private messaging and buddy list, and more.. there will be no reason not to use it ;)

MC505!

I was looking for a groovebox/sequencer last year
and checked out the RMX1.

I found it just ok, the sequencer is the best part
of the device. I was however looking for something
that was self-contained, solid state, and had good
on-board sounds. The MC505 fits this profile better
for me.

After try both of them out for awhile, the MC505
for me had so many more features that I purchased
the device. It has lots of effects, groove making
tools, and one of the best features is the analog like
filter system. It really is powerfull, and sounds
excellent. It is basically a kick-butt version of
the classic MC303 with a better sound engine.

The one downfall of the MC505 is the learning curve....its
not a simple device to learn in a day. To this day, a year
later, I'm still finding new ways to use the device.

But, if your just looking for a sequencer, the RMX1
has the full 16 channel midi mixer. Works good for
hooking up random external gear. Its solid state, thus
you can bang the crap out of it and it sill boots up.

I would however think twice about purchase the device
as a sound source!

Also, NAMM is next week. Never buy new stuff before
you see what's new at NAMM. Not only does new stuff
blow you way, but the prices of things you want now
offten drop....and drop they do to make way for the
new gear. So, look for NAMM news at the end of NEXT
week.

SWAIN:>

all that sound cool but lets say you have like 4 synths and a sampler, how many outside sources can it play? considering there are only 1 midi out. and 1 midi in on the back??

MC307 sounds better than RM1x?

but doesn't RM1x has far more presets?
or they just some simple presets?:rolleyes:

Get real, 307 is a decent bit of gear but not a touch on the RM1x, i wouldn't even compare the 2.

First off there are more presets on the RM, but if you're buying it just for the presets i wouldn't bother as you can find all the midi files for the presets patterns on the web if you look hard enough and just load them into your sequencer.

The strength of the RM the sequencer itself, there isn't any other 'current' gear which can match it (except the rs7000, obviously).

As for controlling other synths/equip, there isn't limit. Either chain your devices or buy one of the midi junction boxes to avoid any latency which could occur through chaining loads of kit.

Check the spec comparisons before buying.

Rich.

The Su 700 a different beast entirely

ManoOne said:
yes the RM1X is a good alternative when you dont want to bring your computer on stage (ie Cubase, logic, cakewalk and all that). The RM1X controls/sequences quite well external devices.

Bilal, a friend of mine (who produced music for Dr Dre, Ice Cube, and others..) LOVES LOVES his RM1X and wishes it was a sampler as well...

He asked me if the SU700 was like a sampler version of the RM1X (ie same sequencer, etc..)... do you think it is comparable?

The SU700`s sequencer is not as advanced as the RMX1.The SU is a pattern/step sequencer.I am a happy owner of the SU but the truth is the truth.:monkey:

so u saying MC307 sucks? can't even cmpare to the RM1x?

for the presets............. i want mostly using in DJset....so more will be good
but how come there are lots more presets in RM1x
than any other grooveboxs?
how they counts the presets??
and 32poly......... not enough?? i hear the demo, sounds really rich tho

i bought MC307 half year ago, not really impressive....
the sequencer.........hard to use

it should be easier to make patterns on RM1x tho

oh and the sounding............... why lots people say that RM1x 's sound sounds not good compare to Roland's............ maybe that is the only downside of that box

DYEONE said:
Get real, 307 is a decent bit of gear but not a touch on the RM1x, i wouldn't even compare the 2.

First off there are more presets on the RM, but if you're buying it just for the presets i wouldn't bother as you can find all the midi files for the presets patterns on the web if you look hard enough and just load them into your sequencer.

The strength of the RM the sequencer itself, there isn't any other 'current' gear which can match it (except the rs7000, obviously).

As for controlling other synths/equip, there isn't limit. Either chain your devices or buy one of the midi junction boxes to avoid any latency which could occur through chaining loads of kit.

Check the spec comparisons before buying.

Rich.
:confused: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
First off, I'd like to say that you'd probably be amazed at some of the sounds I can make come out of my RM1x. That's all I've done since I've gotten it is program sounds. Program, program, program. I've been almost completely ignoring my other gear because I'm so interested in getting new sounds out of the RM1x. And if I run the sounds through the effects on my SU700, forget about it. There's a few ways I use the RM1x, though. First, I program my SU700 using its internal sequencer. Then I set the sync to external, so that the RM1x will make the SU700 play. So that leaves me 15 channels on the RM1x to use for its internal sounds, or to fire off one-shots on the "free" pads of the SU700. Usually I just use the RM1x by itself, though. When I get a good soundcard, I'm going to get some sort of sequencing software, then have it run the RM1x while I solo each track and record them individually, then sequence the audio files on my computer, eq it, add compression, etc. That way I can get around the polyphony issue of the RM1x. I can't make my songs as complex as I'd like because notes keep dropping out, but hey........nothing's perfect.

What up Sonic?

What type of music you compose?`Cause I do mainly hip hop and I was not remotely impressed with the RMX1 sounds at all especially the so-called drum kits.At the same time I did not venture into tweaking the sounds.For me the Roland RS-5 is of the hook!!.Does`nt have a sequencer but I use the SU700 for that but the sounds especially the brass/horns the most realistic I ever heard in a synth.The arpeggios are on a whole different level of dopeness.:monkey:

Back