How does the Alesis QS6.1 Sounds stack up against P2k or Super JV1080?

Eswerve

I was looking at adding another cheap synth/sound module to go with my current setup and to compliment my JP8000. I have a chance to get a nice deal on an Alesis QS6.1 and the only other modules that are in the same price range are the 1080 and the Proteus 2000. Anybody have any experience with the Alesis QS line? How does it sound? I'm more interested in the comparison between the orch, brass, wind, string, piano/keyboard and guitar/bass sounds. I've had the P2K and it was a nice little box, shouldn't have gotten rid of it and I've heard stuff fromt he Super JV1080 and liked the patches and I've had the JV-880 before. I'm leaning more towares the JV1080 than the Alesis just cause I really don't need another keyboard, but the reviews of the QS6.1 make it seem like it's a pretty good board. Any info would help. Thanks.

qs sounds garbage i played one for lik 3 hours one time, a casio keyboard has better sounds than the qs6.1, get the jv-1080 and find some expansion cards, youll be happier in the end

I have both these pieces of gear. There are some nice patches on the Alesis (its certainly not garbage - and has a lot of good reviews out there), but the JV1080 sounds a lot better and always sits nicely in the mix. If you dont need another keyboard, then get the Roland. However you should be able to pick up the Alesis for about 1/2 the price of a JV1080 in good condition.

Get some expansion cards, but please whatever you do dont buy the 'hip hop expansion' - its too cheesy for words.

You'll find if you get the 1080 its a completely different beast to the 880... much much better.

And if it makes a difference, you can get the QSR which is the rackmount and it stores more patches and you can use up to 2 qcards at a time, it also has ADAT optical out.

The QS series is ok for the type of sounds you mentioned, but for actual synthesis type sounds it's not very good, mainly because it doesn't have resonant filters and only has low pass filters. One thing I don't like is each patch is flooded with reverb so I end up editing all patches to assign reverb to control fader D so I can turn it off and on how I like it.

I have the QS 6.2, but I mainly use sounds from the older QS series keyboards. Some of the sounds are good but i'm a bit disappointed with it overall. Next time I buy a synth I'm making sure it has resonant lowpass, bandpass, and highpass filters.

Thanks for the info guys. How much different are the 1080/2080/3080/5080? I know they get physically bigger as they go up, but sonically how do they differ? Do they just have more patches, voices etc?

MrHope said:
The QS series is ok for the type of sounds you mentioned, but for actual synthesis type sounds it's not very good [.........] Next time I buy a synth I'm making sure it has resonant lowpass, bandpass, and highpass filters.

For tweaking type performances, which I don't think is what he wants, then the Roland is king. But for keyboard-based sounds and not tweaking stuff (EPs, organs, piano, synth pads and leads) the QS is just fine. I use a QS8.2 for gigging and it's a great board, has IMO the best OVERALL variety of sounds when compared to Korg, Roland, Yamaha (but not the best sounds in a particular area). i.e. Korg excel at synth stuff, Yamaha at acoustic emulations, Roland is somewhere in the middle. But the Alesis gives you a good taste of all those sounds (not excelling in any one area but lots of choice), and like I said, if you don't need the resonant filter, the Alesis is a good board. If you want really good acoustic pianos, get the Classical or Jazz Piano Q-Card. If you want better synth sounds, get the Vintage Synth Q-Card.

posted by ALIASTrp:
qs sounds garbage i played one for lik 3 hours one time, a casio keyboard has better sounds than the qs6.1, get the jv-1080 and find some expansion cards, youll be happier in the end

I have both pieces of gear, the 1080 and the qs 6.2. I partly agree with you here and partly disagree. I agree that the JV might possibly sound better as I've read many good reviews/feedback about the vintage synth and orchestra expansions (I have yet to buy them and try them out for myself. So far I just have the hip-hop card). However, I will say this, the qs is certainly not garbage. I'm not saying this just to back up my investment either. I admit there are certainly some "not-so-good" patches on the qs6.2 and it's definitely not the best sounding rompler out there but there are plenty of decent sounding patches as well. If there's no Triton, Motif, or Roland around, you can still get by with an Alesis qs.

quoted by sammyb90:
Get some expansion cards, but please whatever you do dont buy the 'hip hop expansion' - its too cheesy for words.

One thing I don't like about the hip-hop card is TOO MANY LOOPs!!! However, I really do like the drums as well as some of the instruments and effects. Excellent old-school West-Coast style drums. So it's not all that bad. If I had to do over again, I'd still buy it.

Now if I had to pick one over the other, I'd say go with the JV1080 (considering you already have a keyboard) and get some good expansion cards. The JV has a better synth engine with a lot more editing capabilities compared to the QS.

Last edited:
well i jus didnt like the sounds on it at all lol, i was thinkin about gettin one (or tryin to find one for sale around here) until i had to play one that time i was very dissapointed

Back