Help with Micro Q vocoder

guru20

Hello all... I'm new to this site... looked around a bit when I was trying to choose my VA synth (considered Micron, microKorg, and K-Station... ended up with a Waldorf Micro-Q rack run through Oxygen 8 - go figure!)

anyway, I'm new to synth vocoders in general, but also I cannot for the life of me get a single sound through my 25-band vocoder in the MicroQ... has anybody used the Q vocoder and could give me some advice??

Do I need a pre-amp for my mic? (right now I am running mic straight in...) Or will it take direct condenser mic input? I'm really confused... in the manual, it talks about various vocoder effect parameters you can set... but I can't even find how to access these through the panel/OS!

If anyone could get me started with this (even just to play with a pre-set vocoder sound that comes with the Micro-Q) I would be very grateful!! It's the last small piece of my studio setup that I have finally completed...

Thanks!

-- Matt

The mQ (and Q) is one of the most powerful and flexible VA synths! you will not regret it.

Programming on the rack can be a little frustrating (specially if you want to use the modulation matrix), but fortunately there are some excellent Pc Editors! I use mQ Knobs Pro and mQ Edit to program patches, and Universal Manager to load/manage my sounds.
check out this page (it's french, but all you have to do is click on the links to download :)
http://fr.audiofanzine.com/apprendre/faq_tips/index,idproduit,10255.html

to get your vocoder working you have to:
-connect the Oxygen 8 to Midi In and your your mic to Line In.
(if you use a condenser microphone, it needs to be phantom powered! so I suggest you use a dynamic mic, like SM58 or SM57.. or try a pc mic for now.)
I think a preamp would help you get a louder signal in, but you can get the vocoder working without one.

-Press Global, turn the red wheel to find Input Gain. Adjust value with left black knob to 4. (to boost it)
I don't know which soundbank you have there.. but if you got the mq_presets 2000 (first patch is "A001: HornsOfJerichojh")
-go to "C092: Mindblast VC SKY" or any other vocoder patch.
-play a chord (or single note) on the Oxygen and hold it.
-talk in the mic. (it should work)

To edit the Vocoder, you have to click on Edit (third button) and turn the red wheel to go to FX1. The vocoder on the Q is very powerful, you can adjust: Band, Analysis Signal, Analysis Low/Hi freq, Bandwidth, Resonance, Attack, Decay, and Hi-Mid-Low Eq)

----------------------------------------

And here's a bonus (you'll love this!)
1-click on Play
2-click on Shift (last button in the row)
3-turn the Red Wheel to change category, ie: Pad
4-click Shift again
5-and use the Red Wheel to navigate through Pads

to go back to Normal mode:
-repeat steps 1-2-3, turm the Red Wheel all the way left to choose --- for category, then continue with steps 4-5.

----------------------------------------
Cheers!

Very detailed response... this is exactly what I was looking for, and I got it quick! I'll have to keep coming back to this site...

Actually, I don't find the interface for the MicroQ to be too bad... it's pretty intuitive for the most part. The only part that was confusing me was the effects section. But so far I've been playing around with the microQ and I love it... I obtained the microQ, Oxygen8, and Reason 3.0 for a total of about $450, so I can't argue with that!

Anyway, don't have a chance to try out your tips until tonight, but it sounds like you know what you're talking about so I'll give it a go ASAP... (and assign the MIDI CCs for my Oxygen 8, while I'm at it! That should help me alleviate the issue with searching through the rack menus...)

Thanks again...

Last edited:
Just a quick question... should the vocoder presets make any sound when there is no mic input?

I selected one of the Vocoder sounds (I think it was Dr. Vocoder) and when I pressed the keys, there were no sounds at all. At this point in time I did have a dynamic mic plugged in to Input (and tested the mic through an amp first to make sure it was working)

Whether I talked or played notes, no sounds at all were made. I tried pressing Global and when I turned the red knob, I couldn't find a section for Input Gain... any idea why this would be?

Could it be set up for 0 volume on the input, or trying to use an internal input rather than the external jack?

Thanks for all of your help... and I will try again tonight...

my mates got a micro q and he loves it, but he has to sell it due to the fact that it simply doesn't sync to mpc1k (or his mpc2k) and never will, due to waldorf goin under (therefore no new os updates!), so beware...

guru20 said:
Just a quick question... should the vocoder presets make any sound when there is no mic input?

No. You need an external signal (your voice, or another instrument) that will work as a Formant for the vocoder.

Originally posted by guru20
I selected one of the Vocoder sounds (I think it was Dr. Vocoder) and when I pressed the keys, there were no sounds at all. At this point in time I did have a dynamic mic plugged in to Input (and tested the mic through an amp first to make sure it was working)

I don't remember going through that vocoder patch (there's only a few in the presets). Maybe it's a user patch?! If that's the case, maybe he didn't do it right. (cause FX1 Mix should be 127, and the Analysis Signal should be set to External); or maybe your mic Signal In is too weak.. which gives me an idea: Use a stereo cable to connect your Cd player into the Line In, and play a chord on your midi controller (make sure it's connected right, Midi Out to Midi In of the mQ), and adjust the Cd player volume (it might be too loud and distorts). Let me know if that works.

Whether I talked or played notes, no sounds at all were made. I tried pressing Global and when I turned the red knob, I couldn't find a section for Input Gain... any idea why this would be?

Could it be set up for 0 volume on the input, or trying to use an internal input rather than the external jack?

Thanks for all of your help... and I will try again tonight...

No, the minimum Input Gain setting is 1.
Maybe you have an older OS?! When you power your mQ, you should see the current OS version.. what does it say?
No problem dude..

sigmund_droid said:
my mates got a micro q and he loves it, but he has to sell it due to the fact that it simply doesn't sync to mpc1k (or his mpc2k) and never will, due to waldorf goin under (therefore no new os updates!), so beware...

he might regret it! lol
if you're into VA, maybe you should grab it.

Yeah, I seriously will not consider parting with this thing unless it dies on me or I come into a lot of money to blow on something better. For the price, it blows me away with how much versatility it has. I would say the only more cost-effective setup would be Reason / softsynths, which can be very versatile as well... but I trust the microQ more for gigging (which I will be doing in a few months)

The prices have dropped a bit (I got mine for around $350), but other than that fact, they are still getting snatched up like crazy on eBay

Anyway, thanks Bluedays for the very useful advice, I will check out all of those things.

Also, my OS is a relatively newer one (2.14)... I downloaded 2.20, but not sure if I want to go through the trouble and risk of flashing it... after all, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Would you recommend upgrade to 2.20 or 2.22, or just keep at 2.14?

Oh yeah, and another question (I'm not new to computers or music, but I'm a total n00b with MIDI and VSTs):

I am trying to assign CC MIDI control values to the 8 knobs on my Oxygen 8; I go through the whole programming process outlined in the manual to select the knobs and assign the correct number (according to the chart in the Waldorf manual appendix - right now I am trying to assign a few Osc 1, osc 2, filter and ASDR controls)

I've tried assigning to various of the 5 program banks, but when I plug into the mQ none of the MIDI seems to be transmitted... no changes occur. The slider, pitch, mod, and keys work (with their default values assigned), but not the knobs which I tried to assign myself. Do I need to change a setting on the micro-Q to allow this?

Oh yeah, and I also assigned them all to Channel 1... should I set them to a different channel instead?

I should probably start this as a separate thread, but just thought I'd ask.

Bluedays said:

he might regret it! lol
if you're into VA, maybe you should grab it.

yeah i'd love to. even if i didn't use the thing i'd still have it to keep, as i reckon any waldorf synths out there are gonna be worth a lot of cash someday.

he's also selling his pulse which i'd really love. there's no bass out there quite as good as pulse bass imho. unfortunately, i have no money, and my next purchase is gonna be a micro modular.

guru20 said:
Yeah, I seriously will not consider parting with this thing unless it dies on me or I come into a lot of money to blow on something better.

if I wasn't living in a small apartment downtown I would definitely go for the big Q!! it's just awsome!

Also, my OS is a relatively newer one (2.14)... I downloaded 2.20, but not sure if I want to go through the trouble and risk of flashing it... after all, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Would you recommend upgrade to 2.20 or 2.22, or just keep at 2.14?

I actually updated mine to 2.20. I like to live on the edge, lol (just kiddin)

Originally posted by guru20 I've tried assigning to various of the 5 program banks, but when I plug into the mQ none of the MIDI seems to be transmitted... no changes occur. The slider, pitch, mod, and keys work (with their default values assigned), but not the knobs which I tried to assign myself. Do I need to change a setting on the micro-Q to allow this?

Oh yeah, and I also assigned them all to Channel 1... should I set them to a different channel instead?

yep, you should go into Global, make sure "GlobalChn" is 01. Then turn the Red Wheel to "Ctl. send| receive" and change "Ctl.Send" to "Ctl+SysEx" and "Receive" to "Mp-Bundle" (it's right next to it)

PS. keep posting here, I don't think many ppl here are interested in technical issues about the mQ :)

Yeah, I did a search... looks like this is the thread to keep everything!

Thank you for your consulting services... where do I send the check? ;)

this sounds like everything I need... I will print it all out and use it as a guide to get up and running and then will come crying here again if I can't figure it out. I owe you one... if you're ever in Baltimore or DC, the beer or coffee is on me.

Umm... okay, anybody know a site that hosts the OS updates or editing software for the microQ, as well?

For example, just THREE DAYS AGO I was able to find OS updates at:
http://waldorf.electro-music.com/micro_q/system/

Now it appears the site does not exist.

Ditto with some of the editing software I have tried to find... I'm not shocked that Waldorf went defunct, but I am actually a little surprised that any utilities and software disappear so quickly from the web! (while there are still many websites up featuring apps designed for Win95 or even DOS!)

guru20 said:
Thank you for your consulting services... where do I send the check? ;)

if you're ever in Baltimore or DC, the beer or coffee is on me.

lol, cool I have a drinking buddy in Baltimore!

As for Waldorf, it's really sad.. If they were still there, you'd see more Godzilla synths around! ;)

PS the site might have been temporarily down, it's working now.
http://waldorf.electro-music.com/micro_q/

Well, I tried out all of your tips/techniques for setting MIDI control channel and getting vocoder to work, and it all worked like a charm!

Wow, the vocoder on this this is excellent. One of the main reasons I decided to go with the micro Q instead of, say, an X-Station or Alesis Micron is because I wanted a decent vocoder (also, the micron only has 3 knobs for control, and that annoys me)

I'm still trying to figure a way to get it to work okay without pre-amp though. The sound was very faint until I ran it through my E-mu 1820 as a pre-amp. However, I have a Sennheiser condenser mic (shotgun mic) that runs from AA battery instead of phantom power, so I imagine that should work better than the dynamic mic I have... just need to get an XLR-> 1/4" adapter to find out...

Anyway, thanks again for all your help! If you know of where I can find any of the software (OS 2.22 or mQ editor, because the Norsez site that was hosting it no longer gives you access to download it), I'd be much obliged...

but other than that, it's time for me to go tweak some patches and make some music...

P.S. It appears Dr. Vocoder and several of the vocoder patches changed from the 2000 sound bank... looks like I have the factory 2001 sound bank instead of 2000

I've uploaded the mQedit and the OS to my Geocities space.
http://www.geocities.com/andasifallthiswas/mQ/

The mQedit has a lot of great features, except that it crashes often. You will need to download Java to run it.

The OS v2.22 (that's what I have installed) is for the mQ not the mQ Lite!! double check before you upgrade.

It might be a good idea to initialize your mQ (however all Global settings and single patches, multis and dummaps will be reset!!)

to Initialize the mQ:
-Power off
-Power on holding Inst.3 and Global buttons
-press Play button when asked
(I learned that from this site: http://faq.waldorfian.info/ )

since I'm at it, here's everything I've found for the mQ on the net so far. (if you find anything else let me know ;)

free banks (and demos):
http://www.trippler.net/music/Download/Waldorf_microQ/waldorf_microq.html

some free (and commercial) banks here:
(I have the microQ Dance & Techno Soundset)
http://sounds.mixedmodemusic.de/index_frame_e.htm

free single patches:
http://www.trippler.net/music/Waldorf_microQ/mQ_Patches/mq_patches.html

commercial patches:
http://www.tsytrecordings.com/shoppingcart/orderform5.html

I use QBank Manager to dump/import patches.

(I found Dr. Vocoder patch you were talking about! you're right, it's in factory 2001)

Thanks for all of those resources! I'll definitely keep you posted if I find out more.

I was wondering... I read somewhere that the components are different for the blue and yellow versions of the microQ... is this true? Someone was saying there were more problems with some internal components and with drum-maps with the microQ...

would this truly be a hardware issue? I was under the impression that the blue and yellow basically just look different, (maybe he was confused because it was an older OS??)

guru20 said:
I read somewhere that the components are different for the blue and yellow versions of the microQ... is this true? Someone was saying there were more problems with some internal components and with drum-maps with the microQ...

Not to my knowledge. I think they're the same.

they probably got a lemon.. it happens :)

Last edited by a moderator:
sigmund_droid said:

I was using an MPC with a microQ back when it first came out. I don't remember there being any sync problems even with the old OS. I'm using an mpc2kxl, not sure if that should be any difference from a 2k or 1k in terms of midi sync though. Maybe you mean something else by sync?

I haven't played with the Q in a while, I want to go home and squeeze out some sounds now (juicey) :)

Okay, another question then...

I now have TWO mQ's... I bought a second one as a backup (doing live gigs soon)...

the second one is a blue version, so if I got rid of one, not sure which I would keep... probably the yellow; some people really might prefer the sleeker look of the blue one, and it might be better for a studio, but the yellow seems to have a brighter LCD, so this will come in handy in a dark club.

My question is this: the new one I got doesn't appear to have the factory soundbank on it! I'm sure I could revert (or reload) the 2001 factory set back on, but not sure I want to! I just got like 300 more sounds! I was just wondering if anybody knew where they came from...

all of the patches say "CJ" on the author side... most of them are great trance/techno/glitch style patches... a LOT of arps, plus atmosphere, pads, and some keys... no brass, strings, vocoder, etc.

Any ideas? I'm just wondering how hard it would be to replace these sounds (the arps have already hooked me) if I decided to reset the soundbank... I will check out Bluedays' links he posted as well; perhaps I could find out there...

guru20 said:
the yellow seems to have a brighter LCD, so this will come in handy in a dark club.

I've never had a blue one.. but you can adjust the Contrast of the LCD in Global Menu.

guru20 said:
My question is this: the new one I got doesn't appear to have the factory soundbank on it! I'm sure I could revert (or reload) the 2001 factory set back on, but not sure I want to! I just got like 300 more sounds! I was just wondering if anybody knew where they came from...

all of the patches say "CJ" on the author side... most of them are great trance/techno/glitch style patches... a LOT of arps, plus atmosphere, pads, and some keys... no brass, strings, vocoder, etc.

You can save the sounds on your hard disk! Just use QBank Manager. Setup the correct midi ports, select "mQ" and "Singles" from the main window. then click on "Get Bank". The Qbank Manager will get the sounds from the mQ and you will see on the LCD "Dumping A01...".
when it finishes dumping, you should see the list of sounds that were on the mQ. Make sure everything is there, and click on "Save Bank" and save it as a .mid file.

When you want to load it back, you have to Load Bank, and click Send Dumps (select: A001 to X001)

PS. if you have Multis to backup, you have to select Multi from the QBank Manager main window and Get Bank and save them as a different .mid file. (same for Drums)

(that's one way of dumping; you can also check out www.midiox.com they have an excellent free Midi monitoring/Sysex software) I highly recommend it.

Back