::**Good question about midi controllers and using guitar fx pedals**::

Gutty502

im at work so i cant test my therory i just came up with. Okay, on a midi controller you have a quarter inch plugin thats for the sustain pedal, now guitar pedals use the same connection so my question is, is the susatin port setup to only controll susatain? Or could you aplly the fx from like a phaser guitar pedal or a wah? Cuz if so that be so dope

Hi.

I think it could work, seeing that sustain messages are either on or off. If the controller keyboard has that socket assigned exclusively as a sustain input, anything plugged into it should (theoretically) only transmit sustain messages when hooked to the keyboard - the only difference is that since the pedal acts as a switch, it should toggle between sustain off/on. Give it a go...

Last edited:
yea i figured it would work like a switch, but i was actually wondering if theres any way to apply like a wah to a midi controler, and i think you could with looping connections like the same princible of making a talk box

Sooo, just because it's a 1/4" connector, you hallucinate that the sustain-pedal jack might work as an effects loop?

How does this even begin to make any kind of sense at all?

Not trying to make fun of you, but man that's a seriously loopy, whacked thought process you've got going on there, LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gutty502 said:
im at work so i cant test my therory i just came up with. Okay, on a midi controller you have a quarter inch plugin thats for the sustain pedal, now guitar pedals use the same connection so my question is, is the susatin port setup to only controll susatain? Or could you aplly the fx from like a phaser guitar pedal or a wah? Cuz if so that be so dope

Thats just like a plain weird idea man. I dunno what you are smoking....

Guitar pedal FX will not work on MIDI.

I am going to avoid being harsh and just give the lowdown. The fact that the sustain pedal input is the same type jack as a guitar pedal jack does not mean it serves the same function. This is ONLY a switch input, fx will not make a difference if plugged in here.

In order to use effects, they must be input in the audio signal path at some point. Depending on what equipment you are using to generate your sounds, the guitar pedal may be patched in the audio output from your sound sourch to your mixing source, or if you are using a mixing console, it can be plugging into the effects in/out and used with multiple audio signals.

If all of your sound sources and mixing devices are on the computer and you are only using the controller for those devices, you will need to install more effects programs and plugins and leave the pedals in the box.

no way dude, it wasnt even like that ^ i asked my question a little wrong. I meant to say is their anyway to to tie in the effects from a guitar pedal and have what you play on ur controller process those effects, i was using the susatin pedal as an example of applied effects on your midi controller. Im not an idiot my dude.

So look basically i was just wondering if anyone knows how to apply fx from pedals.

And yea that thread i posted, i was in a very hateful mood yeasterday. I had like 4 people pm me and ask real dumb questions. At lest mine was something that i havent seen touched on this site

Um, whatever audio your controller triggers never goes through the controller, so there's no way you could "process" anything in there.

Hook the outs of the sound source (module, computer) through the pedal and back into wherever you're planning to record the results.

oh so that would work huh krusing? cuz i searched EVERYWHERE for this and came up with nothing. Yea see thats what i was talking bout, useing the fx on a guitar pedal, so yea it makes sense now, you have to "process" your audio out "through" the pedal and back out. GOTCHA. Cuz i have a zoom gfx 707 and this should work awesome. Im gonna try when i get home

^^^ Basic preschool knowledge my friend.

I think what is messing you up is that you work with computers so much, that you start to think too much in "virtual mode". A USB connection can be used for almost anything, and so I think you just looked at that 1/4" connector and thought of it the same way, LOL.

That kind of thing seems almost retarded to me (and in a way it still is, LOL) ... but part of it is generational, I think. POld guys like me are used to working withy connections which have specific, single-purpose designs. I think you younger guys tend to not even realize that a lot of things still work that way.

when this thread first came up, i thought you were talking about triggering sustain too - and that actually COULD be done, you just have to have a noisy pedal. run the out into the sustain jack, and that glorious noise should be enough to push the +5 switch.

be kinda dumb though... might as well just mess with release.

no, now your really missin the point. Krushing helped and i understand now. Look,
Midi controller stays the same
audio out from soundcard goes to in on guitar pedal which in turn goes out to an audio source and then you can play your midi controller, "controlling" ur daw, but the audio output is processed to the pedal so you can apply some ill azz effects to your sound library

oh and also you should really get a reamp and DI if you want to mess with pedals! radial labs makes a set, i made me own.

Back